Page 63 of 167 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113163 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 3323

Thread: Trump Indictment Watch

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    First of all, the FBI the first time around said they couldn't find them. Trump said they couldn't either. There's only 100 left. The court will have to prove that they lied on purpose which is difficult. All of this is moot anyway because when Trump took them home they were declassified and they are his.
    That's not how "declassification" works...for the thousandth time. There is an official legal process, as there should be. Trump is such a bad and obvious liar.

It's like he calls "backboard" after the shot and then argues about having the right to call backboard. You have to "declassify" before you take them from the WH. It's a pretty simple rule. And the POTUS does not have the right to claim anything he wants is his property. That would be rather stupid.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    That's not how "declassification" works...for the thousandth time. There is an official legal process, as there should be. Trump is such a bad and obvious liar.

It's like he calls "backboard" after the shot and then argues about having the right to call backboard. You have to "declassify" before you take them from the WH. It's a pretty simple rule. And the POTUS does not have the right to claim anything he wants is his property. That would be rather stupid.
    There's no binding official process for the president. NARA assumed that Bill Clinton had declassified his stuff by just taking them home. Read Judicial Watch vs. NARA.

President's power isn't absolute. NARA can take him to court at any time over anything he has declassified or taken.

The system does seem to be too lax. I will agree with that.
    Last edited by Garmel; 06-05-2023 at 11:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    No

How do you define a non crime? Violating a law is crime whether it has a criminal punishment in it or not. Even if everything Trump has is ruled to be his personal records he legally has the right to keep its still a crime to obstruct a subpoena for them.

I find the OLC opinion to be suspect. It says Trump attempted to "modify" the investigation not obstruct it with criminal intent but thats a whole separate argument. It says it was an attempt to modify the investigation not criminally obstruct the investigation because it was efforts to impair or intentionally alter evidence(documentary or testimonial) that would negatively impact the Special Counsels ability to obtain and develop evidence. This is only really relevant if there is no underlying crime. I expect there will be an underlying crime so that really all goes out the window.

Beyond all that the defense against obstruction in that memo is outright laughable. To say there was no corrupt intent in firing Comey or that Trump saying he "hopes" Comey would leave Flynn alone was not clearly directing an action is ridiculous. I could boil it all down to "well its not an open and shut case so it shouldnt be brought" is how I would summarize it. Which I agree its not an open and shut case, but you have to be a very naive person to believe Trumps defenses on these issues. What the memo amounts to is saying that a person who successfully obstructs an investigation can not be charged with obstructing an investigation because they didnt find an underlying crime. But as I said, its a moot point so long as there is an underlying crime which I expect there will be in this case.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    There's no binding official process for the president. NARA assumed that Bill Clinton had declassified his stuff by just taking them home. Read Judicial Watch vs. NARA.

President's power isn't absolute. NARA can take him to court at any time over anything he has declassified or taken.

The system does seem to be too lax. I will agree with that.

Even if we accept all that, how would you defend a tape of Trump admitting the document he is showing off is classified. And as I have said the issue of classification will go to the Supreme Court where you can not remotely claim he wont get a fair hearing. He appointed a third of the court and theres a conservative majority. We can probably just assume Clarence Thomas will rule for Trump no matter what to appease his wife and the Liberal Judges will vote against Trump. So it really comes down to how the other 4 conservative judges rule. Trump needs all of them to rule in his favor.
    Last edited by cajunrevenge; 06-05-2023 at 11:51 PM.

It’s over."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    How do you define a non crime? Violating a law is crime whether it has a criminal punishment in it or not. Even if everything Trump has is ruled to be his personal records he legally has the right to keep its still a crime to obstruct a subpoena for them.
    The correct process is for NARA to take him to court over it. The court doesn't have the authority to issue subpoenas at this point since it's assumed it's his. Now, if NARA wins the case they can take the documents back.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,314 Posts
    Even if we accept all that, how would you defend a tape of Trump admitting the document he is showing off is classified. And as I have said the issue of classification will go to the Supreme Court where you can not remotely claim he wont get a fair hearing. He appointed a third of the court and theres a conservative majority. We can probably just assume Clarence Thomas will rule for Trump no matter what to appease his wife and the Liberal Judges will vote against Trump. So it really comes down to how the other 4 conservative judges rule. Trump needs all of them to rule in his favor.
    We'll cross that bridge when we get there. First of all, let's wait until that tape is actually found out to be real.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    Again, this isnt about NARA. This is about classified and national security documents. Trump did not say "yes I have these documents but no they arent classified or national security documents for whatever reason". He said no I dont have them and I couldnt find them after a diligent search. He is making this argument AFTER being caught with them. He had a legal process to make his arguments. He declined to do so at the appropriate time. I watch a lot of interrogation videos by police. This is like a person denying they killed someone then after caught saying they did it in self defense. Self defense is a legitimate argument. That the person didnt make that argument until they were caught red handed killing the person kind of makes that excuse hard to believe.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    We'll cross that bridge when we get there. First of all, let's wait until that tape is actually found out to be real.

Fair enough, I think this whole argument before any indictment comes down to be premature.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Did he really have someone drain the pool into the office to destroy the surveillance tapes...and it ultimately didn't even work?

I hope that didn't happen.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    I like how all you guys pretend to care that this a real crime.

Only because it’s Trump.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post

Only because it’s Trump.
    One thing that is remarkable is how NARA and the courts did a 180 vs Trump in regards to how Bill Clinton was treated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Right? 4d chess man.

You seem to have the best grasp of all of this.

I would push my chips in with ya
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,314 Posts
    Right? 4d chess man.

You seem to have the best grasp of all of this.

I would push my chips in with ya
    Thanks. According to the law I am correct but that isn't going to stop the DOJ from going after Trump. He'll more than likely be indicted.
    Last edited by Garmel; 06-06-2023 at 08:03 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,314 Posts
    Merrick Garland is the biggest POS we've ever had as an AG and that's saying something. Going after Biden's enemies and letting the lib protestors illegally protest at the SCOTUS homes is despicable. Thank God for McConnell for keeping this clown off the Supreme Court.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts

Only because it’s Trump.

No doubt Republicans truly care about the law and arent just trying to "get Hillary" or whoever the Democrat is running against them.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    It is just unfathomable that anyone can look at everything in context and think Trump is a victim. Even if we accept you peoples twilight zone opinions Trump has advocated for lawfare against anyone who says something he doesnt like from the start of his political career. So even with the worst interpretation of events I wouldnt feel an ounce of sympathy for Trump. No one has advocated for lawfare against political opponents more than Donald Trump.

It’s over."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,314 Posts
    Who did Trump go after? Lotsa election talk that's all. You would had a point if Barr went after Trump's enemies but he didn't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    No doubt Republicans truly care about the law and arent just trying to "get Hillary" or whoever the Democrat is running against them.
    I mean if you are gonna cite examples maybe pick some folks a little cleaner than the Clintons?
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    Who did Trump go after? Lotsa election talk that's all. You would had a point if Barr went after Trump's enemies but he didn't.

Are you serious? The Durham witch hunt to go after Hillary? The Ukraine call and everything else to "get Biden" going into 2020 election. He has constantly put pressure on Lady G to use the Senate Intel committee to "get Biden". He even admitted to telling Barr to go after Hillary a few days ago but Barr told him no.

Whatever you think of Biden, and I think he is a stupid piece if **** even in his prime, I have no doubt he has no involvement in anyone going after Trump.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    I mean if you are gonna cite examples maybe pick some folks a little cleaner than the Clintons?

By legal standards they are clean. Two of the most investigated people on the history of the country. I think they are crooks personally but I apply the same standard to Trump and I get attacked by the rapid response team.

It’s over."