Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WEDNESDAY MINORS FINAL 2021: Four-Hit Night for Waters

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Small sample size, but Michael Harris is hitting .358 in 53 AB....2 HR's 9 RBI, 3 SB.... .393 OBP and .921 OPS
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Small sample size, but Michael Harris is hitting .358 in 53 AB....2 HR's 9 RBI, 3 SB.... .393 OBP and .921 OPS
    It's fun to dream about waters/pache, Harris, and Acuna as early as next summer. Ozuna fo DH, hopefully

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Wasn't someone just talking about how bad Harris was doing in a tiny sample of at-bats?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Outside of Anderson he’s been out best prospect for a few years now. Time to see what he can do but I wouldn’t be shocked if he follows in Riley’s footsteps of looking clueless early on and slowly making improvements. Bottom line is this kid is going to hit and he’s going to hit for a lot of extra base hits.
    Can't argue with thethe talent evaluation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Wasn't someone just talking about how bad Harris was doing in a tiny sample of at-bats?
    I said his ops (low 700s) wasn't impressive at the time. I said it was extremely early though, and that I had zero concern about him. I expect him to be in Mississippi before long.
    Last edited by msstate7; 05-20-2021 at 09:16 AM.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Strider looks legit, so far. I was skeptical, but that looks like it could be a really good pick.

Nice to see Harris keep on keeping on, as well. They say 2-3 will make you forget about 4-5 every day.
    Well, Strider has allowed two baserunners in 6 2/3 innings, so I'm not going to get too excited.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-20-2021)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Waters down to a 25% K% this year, and that includes a stretch where he had 11 Ks in his first 30 ABs. .326 average on a .400 BABIP. Hard to take much out of anything just yet, but hopefully it's a step in the right direction for him.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-20-2021)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Waters down to a 25% K% this year, and that includes a stretch where he had 11 Ks in his first 30 ABs. .326 average on a .400 BABIP. Hard to take much out of anything just yet, but hopefully it's a step in the right direction for him.
    We can live around .400 BaBip. High but not extreme for minor leagues.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    You know how to tell the hype train has started? Tehteh pops in to say he knew Waters was the best prospect for years now after being completely silent on the matter.

Waters is probably making real progress (because he is a good prospect and that’s what they do), but folks need to realize he’s in the midst of a great stretch.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-20-2021), zbhargrove (05-20-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    You know how to tell the hype train has started? Tehteh pops in to say he knew Waters was the best prospect for years now after being completely silent on the matter.

Waters is probably making real progress (because he is a good prospect and that’s what they do), but folks need to realize he’s in the midst of a great stretch.
    he’s an actual maniac
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Strider is too good for A ball. Move him up now. I'm not calling him a star for even future MLB player. But he's a college arm and he needs to go to AA.

Ball needs a promotion too.

Harris may need one, but he's still young for the level and the SSS is small. Total professional at bats are small. I'm ok being slower with him. I don't think he needs more hype to Acuna speed him through the minors. We rushed Dansby and Waters through and I don't know that is necessary. Everyone is excited about him, but I doubt he's acuna.

I don't get why Ball is low unless AA is worried ppl will think he's setting ball up to be FF replacement :). Guy mashes and he's old for the level. What's the point?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Waters has actually been one of the guys I’ve keyed on for a few years so not sure what this whole talk of I just started pimping him came from.
    Natural Immunity Croc

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Waters has actually been one of the guys I’ve keyed on for a few years so not sure what this whole talk of I just started pimping him came from.
    I've always believed he was 1B to Pache 1A. Pache is beyond struggling right now and I still believe in him. I've actually seen stretches like this for Drew so I'm not puzzled. I do expect him to normalize...but it may be better than ever for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    Shewmake can get right any time now... do something kid

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Strider is too good for A ball. Move him up now. I'm not calling him a star for even future MLB player. But he's a college arm and he needs to go to AA.

Harris may need one, but he's still young for the level and the SSS is small. Total professional at bats are small. I'm ok being slower with him. I don't think he needs more hype to Acuna speed him through the minors. We rushed Dansby and Waters through and I don't know that is necessary. Everyone is excited about him, but I doubt he's acuna.

I don't get why Ball is low unless AA is worried ppl will think he's setting ball up to be FF replacement :). Guy mashes and he's old for the level. What's the point?
    Strider was coming off injury and is on a pitch limit. It makes sense to get him some innings and confidence. (That Stache though..ewwww). Harris is legit, but I can see them ensuring his development is on a steady plane.

Covid made placing these guys tricky. I think there will be promotions but I hope they are not rushed.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-20-2021), jpx7 (05-20-2021)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    They can't let Strider make another start in Augusta unless he is working out an injury or something. I didn't have particularly high hopes for him, but the stuff looks crazy good if he has any control to speak of. 23 K/9 is outrageous at any level.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post

From what I've read, because Strider was coming off arm surgery in 2019 and didn't pitch much in 2020 due to the college season being truncated, the Braves plan to stretch out his arm a bit before they move him up. He's on a very tight pitch count.

Ball isn't that old for the High-A classification because he was a "young" college junior and because the draft was so small last year, franchises didn't shed a lot of players making the A-ball classifications older than usual. Add to that he's not off to a sizzling start and I can see why the Braves want to get his feet under him before moving him up. The same probably applies to Harris, albeit with different considerations.

PS--I see Deester posted while I was working on something else and pretty much have the same thoughts in my post. Because there was no minor league season last year and the draft was only five rounds, there has been a ton of retention of players that ordinarily would have been released. Complex ball starts in late June and I will be interested to see who is on those rosters both in the Gulf Coast League and the Dominican Summer League.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 05-20-2021 at 11:22 AM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-20-2021)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    From what I've read, because Strider was coming off arm surgery in 2019 and didn't pitch much in 2020 due to the college season being truncated, the Braves plan to stretch out his arm a bit before they move him up. He's on a very tight pitch count.
    Strider also threw pretty much exclusively his fastball in his first start, and was still very fastball-heavy in his second start. They clearly have a plan for him, and it pretty clearly involves slowly ramping up; nonetheless, hitters in low-A clearly can't match up to his fastball one bit.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    PS--I see Deester posted while I was working on something else and pretty much have the same thoughts in my post. Because there was no minor league season last year and the draft was only five rounds, there has been a ton of retention of players that ordinarily would have been released. Complex ball starts in late June and I will be interested to see who is on those rosters both in the Gulf Coast League and the Dominican Summer League.
    No worries 50. You're spot on. I won't be able to see GCL this year I don't think but I'm going to soon be at all the affiliates within the next month. Can't wait.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

He is in the midst of a good run, but the kid can flat out hit. He led the SL in hitting as a 19 yr old.