Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mike Soroka Out For The Year -- Or Not

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    The whole bit from Snit the Twit makes me think AA is on the hunt for a pitcher, and Snit hurt his leverage by revealing that we are more desperate than it might otherwise seem, and he was quickly told to fix it.
    Part of my point. If AA is on the prowl for someone to be a Game 4 starter in a playoff series and he doesn't want to substantially overpay for whatever might be available this early (since he's nowhere close to KNOWING whether he's going to need one or not), he needs to do whatever it takes to make everybody else believe that's ALL they're going to need - and that he's comfortable cycling through the options he already has up until the deadline.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Snit continues to prove that he doesn't manage anything. He needs to go NOW.

I would hope that AA is not totally committed to finding ONLY a pitcher. Camargo up to free Adrainza to play OF is not a complete solution to the Ozuna problem.
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to salmagundy For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-29-2021)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Part of my point. If AA is on the prowl for someone to be a Game 4 starter in a playoff series and he doesn't want to substantially overpay for whatever might be available this early (since he's nowhere close to KNOWING whether he's going to need one or not), he needs to do whatever it takes to make everybody else believe that's ALL they're going to need - and that he's comfortable cycling through the options he already has up until the deadline.
    If I were Anthopoulos, I wouldn't worry about the playoff rotation at this point.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (05-29-2021)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    Snit continues to prove that he doesn't manage anything. He needs to go NOW.

I would hope that AA is not totally committed to finding ONLY a pitcher. Camargo up to free Adrainza to play OF is not a complete solution to the Ozuna problem.
    This is where skimping on the bench has really hurt. There was clearly no viable back-up OF option even with the assumption that Pache was going to at least do something with the bat.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    We floundered around .500 all spring and .500 all year. The reason is three fold. Bad bench. Average pen and bad manager. I would say easily 5-6 more wins if we had improved two of those three. That 11 mill to drew could have solved two. I know our starters are all hurt and we might be seeing the likes of Wright every 5th day or so but it isn’t like we are winning all of Drew’s starts either.
    Coppy

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    This is where skimping on the bench has really hurt. There was clearly no viable back-up OF option even with the assumption that Pache was going to at least do something with the bat.
    Even with that the offense has been good. The issue with our team is our SP has been poor and our manager has screwed the team out of several potential wins.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    If I were Anthopoulos, I wouldn't worry about the playoff rotation at this point.
    Agreed. That's why I'm saying they need to chart out a 6 man rotation - along with openers now. The added rest (and lower innings count) this early will hopefully have the main rotation pieces in position to be leaned on hard when you get into the second half and are trying to make a run.

We've been incredibly lucky with the rest of the division unable to do any more than tread water to this point. Don't let Snitker blow that gift by trying to win EVERY SINGLE game in June. Keep your head above water and stay within reach right now and hope that you get Ozuna, Ynoa, and maybe even Soroka back, healthy, and effective in July and that you're able to really stand on the gas at that point. If you're within reach and in a position where you don't need to worry about SP innings in late July/early August getting those guys back will feel like AA made three huge deadline deals without giving up anything.

Then he can decide whether he needs to address the pen and/or bench going down the stretch. They will have had another 2 months of competition for Pache/Waters/Arcia/Harris and all the minor league arms to evaluate. Maybe you add Wilson, Davidson, and Muller to the pen and Arcia and one of the OFs to the bench at that point and send Ender or Heredia packing.
    Last edited by clvclv; 05-29-2021 at 11:12 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Mike Soroka explained what his Achilles setback entailed. Body rejected the sutures, a rarity in this process, he was told. The good news was, Achilles itself was healed from first surgery, not damaged. Now he's got "long road" of building calf back up. Hopes to pitch this season

This is HUGE for the Atlanta Braves moving forward. If he's not an injury liability, then this changes the game, at least in 2022 and on.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-17-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Mike Soroka explained what his Achilles setback entailed. Body rejected the sutures, a rarity in this process, he was told. The good news was, Achilles itself was healed from first surgery, not damaged. Now he's got "long road" of building calf back up. Hopes to pitch this season

This is HUGE for the Atlanta Braves moving forward. If he's not an injury liability, then this changes the game, at least in 2022 and on.
    Snitker said he was done for the year. I believe him until proven otherwise.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

thewupk (06-17-2021)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Snitker said he was done for the year. I believe him until proven otherwise.
    Snit really wants him to face the surgeon a third time.

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (06-18-2021), Carp (06-18-2021), drewdat (06-17-2021), jpx7 (06-17-2021), The Chosen One (06-18-2021), thewupk (06-18-2021), TURBO (06-18-2021), zedsdead (06-18-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Dayyyuummm.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Nice.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Such simplistic beauty to this comment.
    Coppy