Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Reports: Marcell Ozuna Arrested For Domestic Battery

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    I found this online:
    As a member of the Red Sox in 1997, Wil Cordero was charged with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon. Cordero pled guilty to criminal charges for beating his wife and threatening to kill her. Still, the Red Sox decided not to void his contract.

http://www.sportsbusinessnews.com/co...-mlb-contracts

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mad Dog Murph's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I wonder how common that is from state-to-state. I'll have to check what it is in Minnesota. There are probably instances here where the victim doesn't need to cooperate for charges to be filed, but it seems like a blanket policy in Georgia.
    That’s the law in most, if not all, states. For domestic violence cases, the prosecutor, not the victim, is prosecuting the domestic violence case. Therefore, only the prosecutor can dismiss the case. My next door neighbor (North Carolina) beat the **** out of his wife 2 years ago in the front yard of his home. I had to pull him off of her. She didn’t want to press charges but the DA did. He was convicted and got 3 years in prison. He was a doctor and a complete piece of ****.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mad Dog Murph For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-31-2021), Freshmaker (06-01-2021), Garmel (05-31-2021), Jaw (05-31-2021), JohnAdcox (05-31-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    Haniger would be a nice get, but the Ms are .500 and only 3.5 games out of first. So will be awhile before they sell, if they do
    Maybe, maybe not.

If they still really want to get out from under the rest of Seager's money this could be their chance.

I realize the Braves don't want to *uck with Riley while things are going so well, but if AA doesn't have to pay Ozuna trading for Seager and moving Riley to LF may cost the least amount of prospect capital. Can't imagine they'll want an OF back, so you'd still be in a position to move Riley back to 3B with Seager becoming the DH and LF open for Waters (assuming he improves) next season.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog Murph View Post
    That’s the law in most, if not all, states. For domestic violence cases, the prosecutor, not the victim, is prosecuting the domestic violence case. Therefore, only the prosecutor can dismiss the case. My next door neighbor (North Carolina) beat the **** out of his wife 2 years ago in the front yard of his home. I had to pull him off of her. She didn’t want to press charges but the DA did. He was convicted and got 3 years in prison. He was a doctor and a complete piece of ****.
    All true. Not to mention he would have his visa revoked, if he is not a U.S. Citizen
    Last edited by JCarbo76; 05-31-2021 at 09:45 AM. Reason: deleted an improper comma

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog Murph View Post
    I had to pull him off of her.
    Good on you, mate. Bravo.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnAdcox For This Useful Post:

Jaw (05-31-2021), Tapate50 (06-15-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Would they have done better had the marriage survived? It's impossible to prove the negative. But divorce shouldn't be taken lightly.
    i'm not saying it should be taken lightly. but raising children in a home where both parents are unhappy but staying together "for the kids" can be just as bad or worse than just divorcing. that creates ripple effects too.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

Jaw (05-31-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    I found this online:
    As a member of the Red Sox in 1997, Wil Cordero was charged with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon. Cordero pled guilty to criminal charges for beating his wife and threatening to kill her. Still, the Red Sox decided not to void his contract.

http://www.sportsbusinessnews.com/co...-mlb-contracts
    the guy from the Cubs a couple years ago...Addison Russell. was suspended for horrible stuff but the Cubs ****ing brought him back eventually.
    i won't be surprised if another team gives Ozuna a chance in the future.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i'm not saying it should be taken lightly. but raising children in a home where both parents are unhappy but staying together "for the kids" can be just as bad or worse than just divorcing. that creates ripple effects too.
    Hence my use of the word "rarely" in my original post. A new reality is created and sometimes that's alright.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    the guy from the Cubs a couple years ago...Addison Russell. was suspended for horrible stuff but the Cubs ****ing brought him back eventually.
    i won't be surprised if another team gives Ozuna a chance in the future.
    Yes i think we need to hold on until everything clarified. I don’t want us to pay 16 millions for the next few years. We need to trade him or keep him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Braves likely cannot void Marcell Ozuna’s contract after domestic violence arrest, but will eventually face a decision

https://theathletic.com/2623043/2021...ce-a-decision/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Braves likely cannot void Marcell Ozuna’s contract after domestic violence arrest, but will eventually face a decision

https://theathletic.com/2623043/2021...ce-a-decision/
    It’s passed time these contracts weren’t immune to a damn felony. Talk about overboard
    Ivermectin Man

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (05-31-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Obviously there is no place for domestic violence, and this is a horrific situation. But am I wrong for thinking if it eventually comes out that this was an isolated incident, and if Marcell does and says all of the right things to atone for his mistake, that he could potentially eventually be forgiven? A lengthy suspension is coming either way, but I just wonder if there is any scenario where he'd get a second chance. It's challenging because by all indications he's an amazing teammate. He clearly needs help though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,278 Posts
    I fully expect him to never play again(at least for us) and we will pay him his entire contract. Gonna mess up our window

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I already said they can’t void this. I don’t think any contract has ever been voided. Not sure about the insurance but I doubt there is a policy like that on it. Probably for an injury. But not suspension. We will just have to write it off and move on.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I already said they can’t void this. I don’t think any contract has ever been voided. Not sure about the insurance but I doubt there is a policy like that on it. Probably for an injury. But not suspension. We will just have to write it off and move on.
    We do recoup a little money by not having to pay him during suspension...The problem is MLB can place him on Administrative Leave in which case, he is still being paid while MLB conducts it's investigation.

Honestly, i'm surprised that a move has not been announced yet in that regard. My guess is they are holding off because he is on the IL anyway.
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsebe10 View Post
    It’s good to see your corney whack ass back on here again...No tennis lessons tonight, Jeffrey? Nothing screams lack of pussy more than being a tennis instructor.
    This is a joke, right? Every country club I've ever been a member of has had at least one tennis instructor get fired for..um... "private lessons" with female members. Lot of misplaced rage here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Obviously there is no place for domestic violence, and this is a horrific situation. But am I wrong for thinking if it eventually comes out that this was an isolated incident, and if Marcell does and says all of the right things to atone for his mistake, that he could potentially eventually be forgiven? A lengthy suspension is coming either way, but I just wonder if there is any scenario where he'd get a second chance. It's challenging because by all indications he's an amazing teammate. He clearly needs help though.
    We already know that this wasn’t an isolated incident.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chopdrew View Post
    This is a joke, right? Every country club I've ever been a member of has had at least one tennis instructor get fired for..um... "private lessons" with female members. Lot of misplaced rage here.
    I also had to laugh when I read that comment regarding tennis instructors. The only guy at the club who gets more illicit action is the golf pro.

This episode brought to mind an incident from my bartending days in a pretty rough bar. Two older couples (probably in their 50s, which is younger than me now, but way older than me at the time). One couple were regulars and the other couple was their guests. They'd been drinking for a bit when the husband of the couple I didn't know reached across the booth and slugged his wife in the jaw and it wasn't a glancing blow. I was over the bar a nanosecond after the punch landed to see if the wife was alright and then proceeding to toss him out of the bar (she followed of course). This was the early-1980s and they were far less enlightened times. I never thought about the possible fate I was sending the wife to. But what really struck me is that the husband of the other couple came up to me afterwards and said "You had no right to do that. That was an issue for them to work out." I was absolutely flabberghasted and I couldn't find the words immediately, but after a few seconds I said, "They obviously gotta work something out, but they aren't working it out in here when I'm behind the bar."
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 05-31-2021 at 02:48 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (06-01-2021)

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,774 Posts
    Ozuna released on $20,000 bond. Not surprising here, but the upcoming Ozuna Arm Sleeve Night promotion has been cancelled and gear with his name have been taking off the team store website
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TURBO View Post
    I fully expect him to never play again(at least for us) and we will pay him his entire contract. Gonna mess up our window
    Yup. Typical Atlanta luck. We add a big bat at a reasonable price for 4 years and then he gets arrested, we eventually cut him, take on the entire cost of the contract, and then still have to pay someone to take his spot.

Even if we pay Waters league minimum for the next 4 years, it’s no different than paying someone 65 million over that same 4 year period.

This will most certainly cut into our window. So much for having such a large amount of financial flexibility with Acuña and Ozzie’s contracts.