Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: Reports: Marcell Ozuna Arrested For Domestic Battery

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Whatever the length of the suspension is. I wonder if Marcel will do appeal to get "time served" so to speak while he's been on the DL. It would involve him giving back the salary he would have earned during that time but would get him back on the field faster.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (09-10-2021)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Whatever the length of the suspension is. I wonder if Marcel will do appeal to get "time served" so to speak while he's been on the DL. It would involve him giving back the salary he would have earned during that time but would get him back on the field faster.
    I think its probable he would have been activated about a month ago from the DL. He should be good to go opening day next year. Time served seems about right.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coredor For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (09-10-2021), JohnAdcox (09-10-2021)

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coredor View Post
    I think its probable he would have been activated about a month ago from the DL. He should be good to go opening day next year. Time served seems about right.
    I have never rooted harder for the NL to adopt the DH in 2021.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (09-10-2021)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McCann'sCans View Post
    Unless there is new information that has come to light, I'd be surprised if the organization changes their tune. Everything coming from the beat reporters has suggested that he likely won't play for the Braves again, and like others have said I still expect a fairly long suspension from MLB.

Maybe its different when you're famous, but I know that if I were wrongly accused I'd be talking about it every day- I wouldn't sit silent for a few months and then agree to a 24 week intervention program and 200 hours of community service.
    What information is that? That the bodycam footage did NOT support felony charges? That the wife had a history of violence against him? That the wife was having affairs that led to their divorce?

Do you think it's possible that his attorney told him not to talk to the press due to pending litigation?

Love the holier-than-thou angle. Real easy to judge from the nosebleeds.

I'll tell you what I think. I think he did some things he's not proud of, but I think the (ex) wife is a Grade-A certified psycho-bitch. And while he should have some punishment and retraining and community service, he doesn't deserve the guillotine.

Further, I think he's a good dude who got caught up in a bad situation and if the prosecutor has worked out a deal that meets those rehabilitation/punishment goals and results in dropping the charges after a period of compliance, I don't think Major League Baseball is better equipped to conduct their own investigation and reach a different conclusion. That's why there's a justice system.

He's lost most of a season. I would reinstate him immediately and consider his suspension time served.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-10-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I think that's a fair result.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-10-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If ozuna is back, do we move Acuna back to cf?
    I'd love to have soler back
    Soler and Ozuna in the same outfield? With Acuna who's not a very good CFer? That's a big yikes dawg.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Regardless of the outcome, I still don't see how he doesn't face some sort of suspension from MLB. The fact that he's agreeing to a family violence program is not going to be overlooked by MLB and almost seems to be admission of a violent domestic act.
    What do you think the last two months constitute? I'm sure the fingers have been rehabbed since before the All Star break.

I think some punishment is appropriate. I just cannot abide the "he's played his last game with the Braves" "release him and eat the money" "he's an abuser, that's all I need to know" crowd.

Thank God there's a player's union that will take the unpopular stand and defend his rights when there's a mob outside with pitchforks and torches.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Soler and Ozuna in the same outfield? With Acuna who's not a very good CFer? That's a big yikes dawg.
    Aren't we likely to have the DH?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Aren't we likely to have the DH?
    Yeah, but I was confused about the way he worded it like... Acuna would have to be in CF to make room for both... I was just having a nightmare thinking of Ozuna and Soler in the same OF

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Regardless of the outcome, I still don't see how he doesn't face some sort of suspension from MLB. The fact that he's agreeing to a family violence program is not going to be overlooked by MLB and almost seems to be admission of a violent domestic act.
    Unless the video is released and it is damning, I don't see how they have much room to stand on for a lengthy suspension.

Since the DA didn't find enough evidence from the video to make a felony stick, I have to believe the initial police report was exaggerated.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Yeah, but I was confused about the way he worded it like... Acuna would have to be in CF to make room for both... I was just having a nightmare thinking of Ozuna and Soler in the same OF
    Must've been your nightmare that woke me up hundreds of miles away at 3 AM - was trying like *ell to figure out why I was up until imagining that. Apparently I'm one who doesn't remember dreams OR nightmares.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    What information is that? That the bodycam footage did NOT support felony charges? That the wife had a history of violence against him? That the wife was having affairs that led to their divorce?

Do you think it's possible that his attorney told him not to talk to the press due to pending litigation?

Love the holier-than-thou angle. Real easy to judge from the nosebleeds.

I'll tell you what I think. I think he did some things he's not proud of, but I think the (ex) wife is a Grade-A certified psycho-bitch. And while he should have some punishment and retraining and community service, he doesn't deserve the guillotine.

Further, I think he's a good dude who got caught up in a bad situation and if the prosecutor has worked out a deal that meets those rehabilitation/punishment goals and results in dropping the charges after a period of compliance, I don't think Major League Baseball is better equipped to conduct their own investigation and reach a different conclusion. That's why there's a justice system.

He's lost most of a season. I would reinstate him immediately and consider his suspension time served.
    So I'm being judgmental from the nosebleeds by suggesting that someone who was arrested, accused of choking and beating his wife, and just agreed to a 24 month family violence intervention program and 200 hours of community service (essentially a guilty plea) might not be someone I want to cheer for on a daily basis.

Meanwhile, you are not judgmental for deciding that his wife is a 'grade-a certified psycho-bitch', the cops were lying in their initial report, Ozuna is a good dude despite the above allegations, and the MLB/Braves have no right to discipline employees beyond what the justice system allows. Just want to make sure I have it all straight.

Ozuna may very well be a good guy- I'm not in a position to pass judgment on that any more than you are in a position to pass judgment on his wife- but if he beat his wife (no matter how crazy she may or may not be, and no matter how many other people she may or may not have slept with) I don't want him on the team just like I wouldn't hire him at my company. Plenty of good people do bad things, but it doesn't mean they shouldn't face consequences for those actions.

The Braves and MLB have way more information and evidence than what you or I have, and the fact that they are clearly not in a rush to bring him back likely says something about what they think about that evidence.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to McCann'sCans For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-10-2021)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Unless the video is released and it is damning, I don't see how they have much room to stand on for a lengthy suspension.

Since the DA didn't find enough evidence from the video to make a felony stick, I have to believe the initial police report was exaggerated.
    Sam Dyson was never charged, there was no evidence beyond the girlfriend's account that I know of, and he got 162 games. So I think there is some nuance here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts

Yea but MLB has shown a 0 tolerance policy towards domestic violence. Players have received lengthy sentences even without a crime being committed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    What do you think the last two months constitute? I'm sure the fingers have been rehabbed since before the All Star break.

I think some punishment is appropriate. I just cannot abide the "he's played his last game with the Braves" "release him and eat the money" "he's an abuser, that's all I need to know" crowd.

Thank God there's a player's union that will take the unpopular stand and defend his rights when there's a mob outside with pitchforks and torches.
    I've said for a while the whole DL situation should have been clarified. For example, if he was not on the DL, what exact status would he have been in for the past 2 months? I feel like the DL has been an excuse for MLB not to have to do anything, and I'm not confident they'll call it time served. Is there precedence for that?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    I've said for a while the whole DL situation should have been clarified. For example, if he was not on the DL, what exact status would he have been in for the past 2 months? I feel like the DL has been an excuse for MLB not to have to do anything, and I'm not confident they'll call it time served. Is there precedence for that?
    https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/01/02/do...alysis-yankees

The only real difference here is that German was placed on administrative leave. He got paid during that time frame and simply had to give the money back for those 18 games.

If Ozuna gets suspended I would suspect it's for half a season like German did. If I was him I would push for time serves to try and shave 2 months off of it but who knows how things will play out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McCann'sCans View Post
    So I'm being judgmental from the nosebleeds by suggesting that someone who was arrested, accused of choking and beating his wife, and just agreed to a 24 month family violence intervention program and 200 hours of community service (essentially a guilty plea) might not be someone I want to cheer for on a daily basis.

Meanwhile, you are not judgmental for deciding that his wife is a 'grade-a certified psycho-bitch', the cops were lying in their initial report, Ozuna is a good dude despite the above allegations, and the MLB/Braves have no right to discipline employees beyond what the justice system allows. Just want to make sure I have it all straight.

Ozuna may very well be a good guy- I'm not in a position to pass judgment on that any more than you are in a position to pass judgment on his wife- but if he beat his wife (no matter how crazy she may or may not be, and no matter how many other people she may or may not have slept with) I don't want him on the team just like I wouldn't hire him at my company. Plenty of good people do bad things, but it doesn't mean they shouldn't face consequences for those actions.

The Braves and MLB have way more information and evidence than what you or I have, and the fact that they are clearly not in a rush to bring him back likely says something about what they think about that evidence.
    Yes, you are being judgmental. An arrest is not a conviction. The diversionary program is not an admission of guilt; to the contrary, the remaining charges (misdemeanor) are dismissed if he completes the program.

I didn't decide that the wife is a psycho-bitch, I just condensed the information I have on her behavior into a label. She came at him last year with a knife, apparently not for the first time. I saw a report saying she was doing the same thing this time. Lastly, there was obviously something that didn't line up with the police report in the bodycam footage - if they had video of him doing what the report said he did, the prosecutor would surely have taken advantage of that and gotten an easy conviction rather than reducing the charge and pleading the case out.

What I am further saying is that he has (and will continue) to pay consequences for his actions, including the loss of respect from many fans including you, a substantial forfeiture of income, and the tasks he needs to complete for that program. And I don't think that MLB and the Braves' lack of action causes one to infer that they think he's guilty or not guilty. I think they have less information than the Fulton County DA and were waiting to see how he was handled before taking up the situation themselves.

I understand your strong feelings on this. It's an emotional topic, and much (most?) of the time the male is abusive and deserves major consequences. Unfortunately I have been involved in real-life situations where the opposite was true - it was the female - and if it hadn't been for crucial, incontrovertible evidence of her misbehavior, the male's life would have been destroyed, largely because of the assumptions we all start with. So I am rather adamant about not jumping to conclusions with Marcell.
    Last edited by GovClintonTyree; 09-10-2021 at 11:44 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Yea but MLB has shown a 0 tolerance policy towards domestic violence. Players have received lengthy sentences even without a crime being committed.
    If he stays out the rest of the season, that will have been tantamount to 80 games (since the fingers have been healed enough to come off the IL). That enough?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts

Doesn't really matter... him doing this program basically admits he did something. Felony has nothing to do with it... there have been plenty of harsh penalties for DV issues when there weren't even charges in the first place.
    Last edited by zbhargrove; 09-10-2021 at 11:47 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Doesn't really matter... him doing this program basically admits he admitted to it. Felony has nothing to do with it... there have been plenty of harsh penalties for DV issues when there weren't even charges in the first place.
    That is not what the program means. There is no admission of guilt. The charges are withdrawn if he completes the program in good order.