Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Called Up to the Major Leagues AUTiger7222's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts

Braves Will Be Even Better In 2014

A few weeks ago David Schoenfield wrote a piece about how the Nats would win the NL East in 2014. Well I wrote a rebuttal to that in I think the Braves will be better in 2014.

http://bigtbliss.blogspot.com/2013/12/my-rebuttal.html

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AUTiger7222 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (02-06-2014), JohnAdcox (01-06-2014), thethe (01-05-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,544 Posts
    An interesting detail to contemplate is the extent that the run prevention we saw in 2013 reflects defense (mostly a certain Andrelton Simmons) rather than pitching. Of course it is a mix of both. But to the extent it reflects Simmons' exceptional defensive play it is something we can count on repeating in 2014.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    An interesting detail to contemplate is the extent that the run prevention we saw in 2013 reflects defense (mostly a certain Andrelton Simmons) rather than pitching. Of course it is a mix of both. But to the extent it reflects Simmons' exceptional defensive play it is something we can count on repeating in 2014.
    That is a great point that didn't even cross my mind. Also if BJ hits this season then he's going to be playing in the OF every day and an outfield of Justin, BJ and Heyward is much, much better defensively than an OF of Gattis, Heyward and Justin. Heck you don't have to look any further than game 1 against the Dodgers to see how much of a role OF defense, or a lack there of, plays in run prevention.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Well, if you would, Braves starters had a difference in ERA vs FIP of -0.07 and their relievers came in at -0.67. So I don't think our starters were overly helped by the defense. Some guys were if you believer ERA and FIP correlate directly to defense, as Minor, Medlen, Julio, and Freddy all had lower ERAs than FIPs, but to balance that out, Wood, Hudson, Beachy, and Maholm all had lower FIPs than ERAs.

Overall our defense wasn't that good last year. Some guys rocked, Simmons, Heyward, and McCann. But we had many guys not rock. What helped us was we had a lot of smart players. Simmons basically carried our IF defense. Uggla, Freeman and Johnson's UZR wipes out about half of Simmons. If we had a competent defender at 2B or 3B, our defense would be an asset at that point.

Overall though, if we have a healthy OF, and Justin is more acclimated to LF, we'll be much better defensively out there. That's our best shot at improving our defense.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

AUTiger7222 (01-06-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Well, if you would, Braves starters had a difference in ERA vs FIP of -0.07 and their relievers came in at -0.67. So I don't think our starters were overly helped by the defense. Some guys were if you believer ERA and FIP correlate directly to defense, as Minor, Medlen, Julio, and Freddy all had lower ERAs than FIPs, but to balance that out, Wood, Hudson, Beachy, and Maholm all had lower FIPs than ERAs.

Overall our defense wasn't that good last year. Some guys rocked, Simmons, Heyward, and McCann. But we had many guys not rock. What helped us was we had a lot of smart players. Simmons basically carried our IF defense. Uggla, Freeman and Johnson's UZR wipes out about half of Simmons. If we had a competent defender at 2B or 3B, our defense would be an asset at that point.

Overall though, if we have a healthy OF, and Justin is more acclimated to LF, we'll be much better defensively out there. That's our best shot at improving our defense.
    Having Simmons allows us to have major defense liabilities like Johnson and Uggla at 3B and 2B. Just think if one of those positions was fielded by a guy that was just even average defensively? It would be insane because we could think position Simba a little more towards 3B or 2B to get to even more balls and make our defense better.

But overall what did you guys think of my blog post?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    I think it's a good post. I would read the original, but if he thinks Harper is a breakout candidate what the hell does he think he'll break out to being? Best player of all time.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

AUTiger7222 (01-07-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    I think it's a good post. I would read the original, but if he thinks Harper is a breakout candidate what the hell does he think he'll break out to being? Best player of all time.
    Yeah. Thanks for the feedback.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AUTiger7222 View Post
    A few weeks ago David Schoenfield wrote a piece about how the Nats would win the NL East in 2014. Well I wrote a rebuttal to that in I think the Braves will be better in 2014.

How is your article any less bias than the one from ESPN? You essentially do the same thing that you claim that writer did.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

Runnin (02-07-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    How is your article any less bias than the one from ESPN? You essentially do the same thing that you claim that writer did.
    Are you even a Braves fan? I used stats to back up all my points. Stats that proved Schoenfield's points were flawed.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    The stats you used were cherry picked. "last 13 starts for Maholm." Second half numbers from McCann.

You take the optimistic view on everything Braves related....which is fine.....but don't in the same blog diss another writer for doing the same exact thing.

You also claimed the Braves have a better rotation than the Nationals. The argument between the talent of the teams is a good one. But, the Nationals rotation is far superior to the Braves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    The stats you used were cherry picked. "last 13 starts for Maholm." Second half numbers from McCann.

You take the optimistic view on everything Braves related....which is fine.....but don't in the same blog diss another writer for doing the same exact thing.

You also claimed the Braves have a better rotation than the Nationals. The argument between the talent of the teams is a good one. But, the Nationals rotation is far superior to the Braves.
    ehhhhh

Your use of superlatives is wrong.

Last year the Braves and nationals rotations were virtually identical, slight advantage to the Nats on Ks and BB slight advantage to the Braves on IP and HR. Both teams shed their worst starter, the Nats getting Fister and the Braves using Beachy/Wood/Floyd.

The Nats have the advantage with top end talent, Strasburg, Zimmerman, Fister and Gio are a fearsome 1-4. But their 5 is looking mighty shaky and their depth if there is injury is not too good. Braves meanwhile have no weak spots and great depth. Minor, Medlen, Julio, Beachy/Wood/Foyd gives you 5 guys who can all be low to mid 3 ERA guys. Nothing bad about that.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    ehhhhh

Last year the Braves and nationals rotations were virtually identical, slight advantage to the Nats on Ks and BB slight advantage to the Braves on IP and HR. Both teams shed their worst starter, the Nats getting Fister and the Braves using Beachy/Wood/Floyd.

The Nats have the advantage with top end talent, Strasburg, Zimmerman, Fister and Gio are a fearsome 1-4. But their 5 is looking mighty shaky and their depth if there is injury is not too good. Braves meanwhile have no weak spots and great depth. Minor, Medlen, Julio, Beachy/Wood/Foyd gives you 5 guys who can all be low to mid 3 ERA guys. Nothing bad about that.

There 5th starter spot (if they don't sign Burnett)

Detwiler (13 GS) 3.66 FIP
    Roark (5 GS) 2.50 FIP
    Jordan (9 GS) 3.49 FIP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    ehhhhh

I would agree that the Nats rotation is better. But it's not far superior than the Braves.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts

Nats rotation is better, i wouldnt say far superior though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    The stats you used were cherry picked. "last 13 starts for Maholm." Second half n

umbers from McCann.

He said the Braves would miss Hudson and Maholm. I pointed out stats that say the Braves WILL NOT miss Hudson and Maholm.

He said the Braves would miss McCann. I pointed out stats that say the Braves WILL NOT miss McCann.

See what I did there? I made a counter point to his opinions and I had stats to back up my opinions. That's why you call it cherry picking and I call it poking a hole in his balloon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    The Braves will most certainly miss Hudson. There is nothing wrong with saying that. If nothing changes, we are going to have Garcia as our #5. Ugh. Just close your eyes and think about it. Wood will be in YOUR bullpen for a bit, too, after that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,480 Posts
    We will miss McCann. No doubt in my mind. But we're hoping that the Braves players who played poorly will bounce back and hoping that no one has an unforseen collapse. We're certainly losing something going from McCann to Gattis, though potentially we're gaining elsewhere. So it's a wait and see.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,021 Posts
    He said the Braves would miss Hudson and Maholm. I pointed out stats that say the Braves WILL NOT miss Hudson and Maholm.

He said the Braves would miss McCann. I pointed out stats that say the Braves WILL NOT miss McCann.

See what I did there? I made a counter point to his opinions and I had stats to back up my opinions. That's why you call it cherry picking and I call it poking a hole in his balloon.
    Except the Braves will indeed miss those players. Anyone who can sit here and say we are a better team WITHOUT Mac (who is at worst the 4th best catcher in baseball) and Huddy/Maholm is being a HUGE homer.

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts

Try some better typefaces. Chewy makes me cry. :(

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary82 View Post
    Try some better typefaces. Chewy makes me cry. :(
    Why does it make you cry?