Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tucker Davidson's stuff

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,141 Posts
    His breaking stuff is definitely good, but I see they have some metric called “lateness of break” which makes me skeptical of the entire analytical package until I see what that is supposed to mean.

I didn’t get to watch much of the game last night, and it’s possible his stuff ticked up last night.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-10-2021), zbhargrove (06-10-2021)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I don't see more than a good 5th starter when I see him pitch.

If he went through the order 2x and Wright game behind him 1x through I think you'd get really good results.

A lot of this will depend on the rule changes that happen next off season. His FB isn't great. I don't think he is going to overpower. And if people can sit on the breaking stuff we'll see.

I said it with Ynoa, if Davidson or Ynoa prove to be high quality 5th starters, that is a big win. Everyone does not need to be a star or a bum.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-11-2021), jpx7 (06-10-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,141 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Saw this tweet about Davidson's stuff... they make it sound like after last night's start that his stuff is grading out a bit better but admittedly I haven't really dove into the statcast/pitching analytics as much as I have with offensive players so it all sounds a little foreign to me. Did his stuff show an uptick in improvement this last start Enscheff?

Based on the 80 count for FF, they are using data from only his first 2 starts.

I have no idea what Rise% could mean, or how it differs from vertical movement, so I can't speak to that.

They claim he is in the top 15-20% in vertical movement on his breaking stuff, which seems accurate to me.

They claim the horizontal break on his pitches range from below average (CU) to awful (SL, FF).

So how do pitches with good vertical movement and poor horizontal movement end up being a top 1-2% pitches in all of baseball overall? Because of some "location" metric...that's measured after a few dozen pitches (we are talking a handful of pitches in any zone bucket)?

This QOPA stat seems pretty shaky to me, but again, I haven't dug into it at all. I certainly don't consider Davidson's breaking stuff elite. Plus, good, but not elite.

His current xwOBA of .324 points to him being an average #4 (2021 MLB average is .319). His xERA, FIP, and xFIP all suggest the 1.53 ERA is a mirage as well. Most of this is due to a microscopic .188 BABIP against him, and a palty 6.7% HR/FB rate, both of which are due for massive regression.

I'll stick with the values that have proven to be correct countless times in the past, but again, I don't know much about this QOPA metric. Perhaps it's the next best predictive stat, and I have some reading to do. If Davidson turns into a stud I'll be looking into it for sure.

It was definitely good to see him only issue 1 BB though. That's the biggest way guys can make their stuff play up.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 06-10-2021 at 11:48 AM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-11-2021), jpx7 (06-10-2021), zbhargrove (06-10-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,535 Posts
    Meh.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Honestly, I know we are bad for pitching now but I'd consider selling high on him. If he's the first or second player in a deal for a hangier I'd be down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Honestly, I know we are bad for pitching now but I'd consider selling high on him. If he's the first or second player in a deal for a Winkler or hangier I'd be down.
    I want no part of Dan Winkler. Been there, done that.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,867 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    I want no part of Dan Winkler. Been there, done that.
    Just like with your mom

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Winkler should have stayed in Triple-Aaayyyyyy