Charleston 8, Augusta 3

SP: Owens 3.1 IP, 4 H, 0 ER(3R), 2 BB, 4 K
    LP: Santos (1-1) 1.1 IP, 1 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 1 K
    Yeager 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K
    Acuna 1 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
    Wells 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K

Grissom 2-4, 3B, 2 RBI
    Valdes 1-3
    Last edited by rico43; 06-04-2021 at 10:56 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-05-2021), jpx7 (06-05-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    When do you guys expect to see Michael harris promoted?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,706 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    When do you guys expect to see Michael harris promoted?
    Garmel brought up a good point on Harris in game thread. He has a non-existent walk rate right now. Might be a good thing to see that improve first

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-05-2021), jpx7 (06-05-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Garmel brought up a good point on Harris in game thread. He has a non-existent walk rate right now. Might be a good thing to see that improve first
    Kinda tough to improve your walk rate when you're hitting .352 and opposing Pitchers are

A.) stupid enough to keep throwing it over the plate when you're in the box, and/or...
    B.) don't have advanced control/command so their misses are often so bad that you don't chase

Tough to tell from a boxscore how close the pitches he spits on are, but there's a pretty good chance that the ones in AA will be around the plate more often - if he doesn't take walks at that point I might get SLIGHTLY concerned.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    600 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Kinda tough to improve your walk rate when you're hitting .352 and opposing Pitchers are

A.) stupid enough to keep throwing it over the plate when you're in the box, and/or...
    B.) don't have advanced control/command so their misses are often so bad that you don't chase

Tough to tell from a boxscore how close the pitches he spits on are, but there's a pretty good chance that the ones in AA will be around the plate more often - if he doesn't take walks at that point I might get SLIGHTLY concerned.
    His K rate is only about 21%. I think he’s ready for a move up.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I'm pretty much a lone wolf on this, but I don't see any reason to promote Harris this soon unless they are absolutely certain his skill application has proven him truly ready. He has a much different approach than Waters, but I think we're seeing the downside of aggressive promotion in Waters' instance. Challenging guys who aren't ready to be challenged is a short-sighted approach.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-05-2021), Jaw (06-07-2021), jpx7 (06-05-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I'm pretty much a lone wolf on this, but I don't see any reason to promote Harris this soon unless they are absolutely certain his skill application has proven him truly ready. He has a much different approach than Waters, but I think we're seeing the downside of aggressive promotion in Waters' instance. Challenging guys who aren't ready to be challenged is a short-sighted approach.
    That's kinda my point. I don't think ANYONE is capable of making that determination from strictly looking at the numbers - they just don't provide enough context. If you've got the pitch charts and statcast info I get it, but it's probably safe to say that a 21% strikeout rate doesn't tell anyone much about ANY hitter's approach and ability to adjust.

Stepping him up to face more consistent pitching ought to help answer those questions quicker, but I agree - what's the rush? Absent something shocking happening, Harris being a late 2022 callup would be both extremely aggressive AND impressive at the same time. No need to have him finish there this season unless he gets to the point that they simply can't get him out in Rome anymore.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,326 Posts
    Will M. Harris defend well enough to stay in CF? His fielding report has him as a potential 45 but i wonder if he has shown signs of improving there.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Elite hitting prospects on the “A/AA/AAA in a single year” path tend to get about 100-150 PAs in A before being promoted to AA. If that’s the path Harris is on, he should be promoted within 2-3 weeks. After about 2 months in AA he should be ready for some time in AAA on his way to being a legit MLB option for 2022.

While I agree the BB rate is something to take note of, the Braves have access to plate discipline stats we do not. They should be able to determine if the plate discipline is a concern, and since he’s shown the ability to walk in prior seasons there’s no reason to worry yet.

Hopefully this kid is in the process of doing exactly what we all hoped he’d be doing this season.