Thread: AA says Braves can add payroll

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts

AA says Braves can add payroll

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...-deadline.html

Sounds like we won’t be selling. Any thoughts on who we might target?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Castellanos would seem ideal

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    we are gonna add no one and then say Mike Soroka, Travis d’Arnaud and Huascar Ynoa are practically deadline moves by them coming back
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,375 Posts
    Who can we get for 1.1 million we can add
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,542 Posts
    This means nothing.

Nice to see the ‘ole architect peak out of his whole though.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    519 Posts
    Hmm. I'm excited for another soft tossing lefty from the Orioles. I refuse to get my hopes up. I think he tries to put flex seal on the titanic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,996 Posts
    This bit is interesting - a possibility of moving Austin to cOF and grabbing an infield bat?

“Does it work out that the best deal is to get a starter or a reliever or add a bat that’s not an outfielder and we’ll move somebody else?”

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Hmm. I'm excited for another soft tossing lefty from the Orioles. I refuse to get my hopes up. I think he tries to put flex seal on the titanic.
    Milone is on the 60-day IL, so there goes that promising option.

It's great to hear that adding some payroll is a possibility, but the challenge is how long can the team wait to make a move. I'd say sooner as opposed to later and which teams are in an early selling mode right now and what do they have to offer?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I’m sure AA has talked to a lot of teams about certain players but he can’t make a deal if the deal is unreasonable. I wanna see him do something to but not get raped. I’d say Marte and Castellanos are two really good options for a bat and Rodriguez obviously for the bullpen.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    I have tempered my wish list. Think it may only (better than nothing) a resolution to Ozuna going on restricted/suspension list. Highly doubt adding a big money guy like Castellanos or Marte with FF situation undecided/unresolved and pending CBA along with possible lockout.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,717 Posts
    Adam Frazier and Rodriguez
    Or...
    Haniger and Kendall graveman

I'm gonna keep beating this drum bc I'm a miss state homer, and also bc I want us dealing with pirates or Mariners

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I'm still not convinced they need to add SIGNIFICANT payroll, only that something needs to be done relatively soon so that they can finally get over .500 and get on a roll. I also think "adding payroll" could just as easily mean eating Ender's dead money and replacing him with a productive player from within.

You've already got plenty of quick strike threats (Acuna, Freeman, Ozzie, Riley, Dansby) - you just need to get a piece to help string big innings together. Go get Adam Frazier and Richard Rodriguez - they're not the types you'll have to back the truck up for (even this early). Slot Frazier between Riley and Dansby and all of a sudden the lineup has length again, especially when d'Arnaud gets back and you have he and Contreras hitting 7th. Eat Ender's money and go with a Heredia/Almonte platoon in CF until Pache or Waters (or both) force their way into the mix. Rodriguez instantly makes the pen much better and deeper.

That kind of early move gives you a chance to get on a roll with the hope that you might be getting Ynoa and/or Soroka back in 6 weeks WITHOUT dipping into your top prospects. Starting pitching hasn't been the problem even with Morton and Smyly struggling for the most part. Give them another 4-5 starts each to figure things out before panicking - chances are they will, and plugging Ynoa/Soroka in makes you really deep. If it looks like the veterans aren't going to come through or the injured guys can't be counted on a month from now, THEN you go shopping for a SP.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,717 Posts
    So trade guys, what's a Frazier-Rodriguez package look like for us?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,975 Posts
    I read an article on Rodriguez and I would be wary. Guy who throws a four-seamer in the low-90s 90% of the time (Great spin rate though). He's obviously getting results, but there's part of me who thinks he's a guy who would come to Atlanta and lay an egg.

To the question of what would Frazier and Rodriguez cost us, my guess is at least couple of minor league arms in the higher levels of our system and maybe a bat. Bryse Wilson and Kyle Wright would be at or near the top of the list in that scenario. Depending on what Pirates' scouts think, I could also see Muller as a possibility. As for the bat involved, conversation would probably start with Waters. So I'd say two of those four would be the least the Pirates would ask.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 06-15-2021 at 09:08 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,332 Posts
    Frazier is being fueled by a high BABIP. Not sure he's someone we want.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,998 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    Castellanos would seem ideal
    He's hitting way over his head. He'll come crashing back down at some point and I'd rather it not be with us.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    we are gonna add no one and then say Mike Soroka, Travis d’Arnaud and Huascar Ynoa are practically deadline moves by them coming back
    I can already hear Chip and Jeff now saying that those "additions" are like making "three huge deals".

18. The Following User Says Thank You to WaitingFor2017 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (06-15-2021)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    627 Posts
    I want Ramirez at third base, and I want him right now.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,870 Posts

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-15-2021), JohnAdcox (06-15-2021), Tapate50 (06-15-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I read an article on Rodriguez and I would be wary. Guy who throws a four-seamer in the low-90s 90% of the time (Great spin rate though). He's obviously getting results, but there's part of me who thinks he's a guy who would come to Atlanta and lay an egg.

To the question of what would Frazier and Rodriguez cost us, my guess is at least couple of minor league arms in the higher levels of our system and maybe a bat. Bryse Wilson and Kyle Wright would be at or near the top of the list in that scenario. Depending on what Pirates' scouts think, I could also see Muller as a possibility. As for the bat involved, conversation would probably start with Waters. So I'd say two of those four would be the least the Pirates would ask.
    I'm pretty sure they're well aware of those concerns as well, and think that's why the return is likely to be a bit less than they'd like. Frazier's high BABIP (as well as his hard-hit rate I'd think) would be a concern for teams interested in him, and I'd expect the Pirates realize that too.

I think one of the three arms you mentioned is reasonable, and that Waters would arguably be "expendable" in a deal like this where you'd control Frazier next season to be able to take your time with Harris' development. If you're going to include Waters, Muller is pulled back though. They get ONE guy whose clock hasn't started, not two. They're really short on Catching depth as well, and with Contreras ready now and Langeliers looking like he will be ready at some point in 2022 (if not Opening Day) I'd throw A-Jax in.

My thought was Waters, A-Jax, their choice of Wilson or Wright, and maybe filler like Ervin/Demeritte/Trey Harris - Ervin or Demeritte if they wanted someone they could add to the roster now, Harris if they wanted someone a bit further away with higher upside.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?