Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AA says Braves can add payroll

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,519 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    Frazier is being fueled by a high BABIP. Not sure he's someone we want.
    May be the best option. We’re not going to get someone who requires a lot of resources to acquire.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I’m not sure he could add enough for us to contend. This is not a “one or two players away” team. Probably just get some guys back, bring up a few young guys and hope to catch lighting in a bottle. Last year was the year…this year isn’t.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,519 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I’m not sure he could add enough for us to contend. This is not a “one or two players away” team. Probably just get some guys back, bring up a few young guys and hope to catch lighting in a bottle. Last year was the year…this year isn’t.
    I disagree with that assessment, but that hinges on the pitchers we have performing up to their usual standards.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-15-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    I disagree with that assessment, but that hinges on the pitchers we have performing up to their usual standards.
    I agree with you. Oh, and FF's real numbers start matching up with how they should look. A shut down closer turns this pen into a strength quickly imo

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    I fully expect us to do nothing at the deadline. As mentioned, maybe a Tommy Milone type move. This team is FINNISH and AA knows it
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,323 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I agree with you. Oh, and FF's real numbers start matching up with how they should look. A shut down closer turns this pen into a strength quickly imo
    Get a closer and possibly adding one or two of our starters to the pen and we're in business.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I'm pretty sure they're well aware of those concerns as well, and think that's why the return is likely to be a bit less than they'd like. Frazier's high BABIP (as well as his hard-hit rate I'd think) would be a concern for teams interested in him, and I'd expect the Pirates realize that too.

I think one of the three arms you mentioned is reasonable, and that Waters would arguably be "expendable" in a deal like this where you'd control Frazier next season to be able to take your time with Harris' development. If you're going to include Waters, Muller is pulled back though. They get ONE guy whose clock hasn't started, not two. They're really short on Catching depth as well, and with Contreras ready now and Langeliers looking like he will be ready at some point in 2022 (if not Opening Day) I'd throw A-Jax in.

My thought was Waters, A-Jax, their choice of Wilson or Wright, and maybe filler like Ervin/Demeritte/Trey Harris - Ervin or Demeritte if they wanted someone they could add to the roster now, Harris if they wanted someone a bit further away with higher upside.
    Why would they want any of those guys?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

PawPawMaxwell (06-15-2021), Tapate50 (06-15-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Considering the only realistic option for the playoffs is chasing down the Mets, who already have a 5.5 game lead, I wouldn't let your imaginations run too wild with big upgrade trades.

Think more along the lines of Naquin to replace Ender in CF, and a rental RH BP arm that costs almost nothing. Maybe a non-zero bat for cOF (or 3B that pushes Riley to LF).

But first I think Waters needs to be given a chance to show what he can do over 100+ PAs. This certainly isn't a "go for it" type season right now.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 06-15-2021 at 01:00 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-15-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Why would they want any of those guys?
    Simply filler. They'll need a warm body to put on the roster to replace Frazier if they don't instantly promote Waters and put him in the lineup (which I'm sure would be a possibility). There would be a long list of filler guys I think AA would consider including in that type of deal - Dean, Owens, Paolini, Estes, etc.. Depth guys in our system who would all probably be Top 15-ish in theirs.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Holding my breath waiting for the blockbuster deal that will lift us out of this stagnant state

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Considering the only realistic option for the playoffs is chasing down the Mets, who already have a 5.5 game lead, I wouldn't let your imaginations run too wild with big upgrade trades.

Think more along the lines of Naquin to replace Ender in CF, and a rental RH BP arm that costs almost nothing. Maybe a non-zero bat for cOF (or 3B that pushes Riley to LF).

But first I think Waters needs to be given a chance to show what he can do over 100+ PAs. This certainly isn't a "go for it" type season right now.
    Agree. I'd never want to waste a year of Acuna and Albies but I'm not going crazy this year.

But there may be some deals out there long term. I still think there are some teams that will want to dump salary for the labor fight next year. Maybe you can get a deal. Maybe you call sell high on a Tucker Davidson.

If Waters does not play soon it will say a lot. Apparently he is nursing an injury so we'll see.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    I think the pending CBA is driving the season for Atlanta. That combined with all the money freed up this winter along with an official act on the Ozuna situation. Going back to old fashion baseball: Pitching wins games. With the current depth and low cost the starting rotation next year could be one of the strongest in baseball and cheapest. Strong up the middle: Catching is developing quickly, Albies is in place, with all the FA elite SS coming up, AA can take his pick if the CBA is anyway balanced, move Acuna back to CF and fill in the corners with LH/RH balance. Riley is the hole card IMO, 3d, LF or even 1b are in play IMO. I am not betting my ranch that FF will be a Brave next year but do hope so.
    Last edited by PawPawMaxwell; 06-15-2021 at 04:29 PM. Reason: wrong thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    I think the pending CBA is driving the season for Atlanta. That combined with all the money freed up this winter along with an official act on the Ozuna situation. Going back to old fashion baseball: Pitching wins games. With the current depth and low cost the starting rotation next year could be one of the strongest in baseball and cheapest. Strong up the middle: Catching is developing quickly, Albies is in place, with all the FA elite SS coming up, AA can take his pick if the CBA is anyway balanced, move Acuna back to CF and fill in the corners with LH/RH balance. Riley is the hole card IMO, 3d, LF or even 1b are in play IMO. I am not betting my ranch that FF will be a Brave next year but do hope so.
    wrong thread should have been in the fix it thread

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Let me rephrase that. We are fixable, but the cost of the moves at the deadline would really damage the farm (being we are very top heavy).

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Just not our year - don't waste pieces.

6.5 games back on June 16th? Time to be realistic. Let the guys you have play and see if they can get hot and re-assess next month.
    Last edited by clvclv; 06-15-2021 at 09:37 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    Didn’t he say the same thing after the kids signed extensions and let the Braves bend them over in regards to payroll flexibility and then add said extra payroll in the bullpen only to dump it within one year after we were a game from the WS?
    I’ll believe it when I see it.
    Would be thrilled but we’ve been here before.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,808 Posts
    With Liberty Media as owners? I’m not buying it.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    596 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    With Liberty Media as owners? I’m not buying it.
    Why would AA say it if it wasn’t true? Especially in a year when most teams are either maxed out or cutting payroll.

The fact that we have Liberty Media as owners probably has insulated us to a degree from the effects of the pandemic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    Why would AA say it if it wasn’t true? Especially in a year when most teams are either maxed out or cutting payroll.

The fact that we have Liberty Media as owners probably has insulated us to a degree from the effects of the pandemic.
    As soon as he moves Ozuna to the 60 day IL insurance kicks in. That may be the money he talks about as well as anything else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    As soon as he moves Ozuna to the 60 day IL insurance kicks in. That may be the money he talks about as well as anything else.
    If that's the case, why not now? Do you have to wait a certain amount of time to do that?

Are we positive that ozuna is done for the braves this season?