Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fixing the Braves

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Twins are stuck in no-man's land just like the Braves are.
    They're 16.5 games out in the central. We in great position compared to them

2. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-17-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    For this season, the Braves could really use someone like Josh Donaldson. I think he could get the team fired up and be a real winning leader. It's the other years that would be a problem, although knowing we have the DH coming would make those years easier to accept.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-17-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    For this season, the Braves could really use someone like Josh Donaldson. I think he could get the team fired up and be a real winning leader. It's the other years that would be a problem, although knowing we have the DH coming would make those years easier to accept.
    Man, I'd love to have him back. We'd instantly be better

6. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (06-17-2021)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    I'm rapidly trending towards the idea that tanking this season is worth it just to get Snitker fired.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McCann'sCans For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (06-17-2021), Jaw (06-18-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McCann'sCans View Post
    I'm rapidly trending towards the idea that tanking this season is worth it just to get Snitker fired.
    Except it still likely wouldn't happen. Remember the collapse Fredi "led" (which one, you ask)? He kept his job after that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Man, I'd love to have him back. We'd instantly be better
    He has been my favorite non-Brave for a long time. Loved having him on the team.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    Except it still likely wouldn't happen. Remember the collapse Fredi "led" (which one, you ask)? He kept his job after that.
    To be fair Wren wanted to fire him but the powers that be above him stopped him and instead Wren got fired. Supposedly AA has complete control of this operation.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-17-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    To be fair Wren wanted to fire him but the powers that be above him stopped him and instead Wren got fired. Supposedly AA has complete control of this operation.
    Then AA needs to be fired too. If he has complete control, he's allowing snit to do this crap

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Athletic has an article up with trades from DOB and Bowden commenting. Not the most plugged in ppl but still interesting.

I liked: Richard Rodriquez and Bryan Renyolds for Waters, Trey Harris, Logan Brown and De la Cruz
    I also liked: Haniger and Graveman for Wright, De La Cruz, comargo and Logan Brown.

I'd like to do both if I could change the Mariners deal to Wright, Touki or Davidson, and another guy.

Play Acuna at CF. You'd have massing up grade on offense with a switch hitter and a RH hitter. Two upgrades in the pen. And everyone but Graveman is controlled at least through 2022 at a solid or cheap contract. That would free up a lot of cash to look hard at upgrades at SS and SP.

Cleans up some 40 man traffic too. Waters and De La Cruz probably the only guys I'd be really sad to see go. I think the other guys have a great shot at being MLB players but need a new place.
    Last edited by Russ2dollas; 06-18-2021 at 08:04 AM.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Athletic has an article up with trades from DOB and Bowden commenting. Not the most plugged in ppl but still interesting.

I liked: Richard Rodriquez and Bryan Renyolds for Waters, Trey Harris, Logan Brown and De la Cruz
    I also liked: Haniger and Graveman for Wright, De La Cruz, comargo and Logan Brown.

I'd like to do both if I could change the Mariners deal to Wright, Touki or Davidson, and another guy.

Play Acuna at CF. You'd have massing up grade on offense with a switch hitter and a RH hitter. Two upgrades in the pen. And everyone but Graveman is controlled at least through 2022 at a solid or cheap contract. That would free up a lot of cash to look hard at upgrades at SS and SP.

Cleans up some 40 man traffic too. Waters and De La Cruz probably the only guys I'd be really sad to see go. I think the other guys have a great shot at being MLB players but need a new place.
    but what if there is no 2022 season or drastically shortened. All those guys are gone, trade chips are gone. And to be honest about it, who do you think really wants Wright or Camargo?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    but what if there is no 2022 season or drastically shortened. All those guys are gone, trade chips are gone. And to be honest about it, who do you think really wants Wright or Camargo?
    Of the 4 players mentioned in that post

Rodriguez: Has two more years of control

Reynolds: Has four more years of control

Haniger: If no 2022 season he would still be under contract (assuming current service time rules stay). A reduced season? No different I guess than what happened with Covid.

Graveman: FA after this year

The only thing it would have any kind of impact on is Haniger and that's if the seasons is reduced. I agree that some of those guys are meh in the idea of who really wants them. But you have to look at it from the flip side of your argument. For some of the guys like Wright and Carmargo. What kind of trade value would they even have if there is no 2022 season? It's getting to the point that their trade value is almost zero if it's not there already.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

PawPawMaxwell (06-18-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    I went and read the Athletic article after posting too impatiently. Sorry Russ. The line about future control was totally lost to me. If DOB wasnt emplaced on the Athletic staff I would swear that Shanks wrote that piece. I seldom give much credence to Bowden but in his case he is pretty much spot on.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts
    DOB is terrible. Many posters here could do his job so much better. I wish we had a beat writer who was into advanced analytics as DOB is only into the stats they show when a batter comes to the plate.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to WaitingFor2017 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-18-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    I wish Furman Bisher was still around. Analytics would probably be beyond him but at least he would get some answers from the front office.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to PawPawMaxwell For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-18-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Gallo and Kennedy would be my preference if we're gonna be buyers. We need another strong lefty presence in the lineup.

Reynolds and Rodriguez would be nice, but I imagine the Pirates will want a large ransom for those guys since those 2 are easily their most valuable players at the moment. Maybe we could get a slight discount if we take on Polanco as well.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-18-2021)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Gallo and Kennedy would be my preference if we're gonna be buyers. We need another strong lefty presence in the lineup.

Reynolds and Rodriguez would be nice, but I imagine the Pirates will want a large ransom for those guys since those 2 are easily their most valuable players at the moment. Maybe we could get a slight discount if we take on Polanco as well.
    I think that return is pretty amazing for that group. Renyolds is good but not impact.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    I think that return is pretty amazing for that group. Renyolds is good but not impact.
    Reynolds has 4 years of control and has been one of the top hitters in the national league this year. and he's a good defensive player. I think he's gonna have quite a bit of value, but the Pirates are obviously run pretty poorly, so who knows. In all likelihood, they'll keep him until he's 30 with 1 year remaining of control and declining and then trade him for spare parts.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts

I read the article and I thought all the deals looked like no-brainers from the Braves' end that the other side would laugh at.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Garmel (06-18-2021), GovClintonTyree (06-19-2021), PawPawMaxwell (06-18-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    The Braves have something like a 15% chance of making the playoffs. Folks expecting multiple large acquisitions are going to be pretty disappointed if this team doesn’t go on a big run soon.

I think we will know the direction of this team after they complete those stretch vs the Mets.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-18-2021), UNCBlue012 (06-18-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Braves have something like a 15% chance of making the playoffs. Folks expecting multiple large acquisitions are going to be pretty disappointed if this team doesn’t go on a big run soon.

I think we will know the direction of this team after they complete those stretch vs the Mets.
    Exactly. At this point I don't even see a point of giving up assets to acquire pieces to make a run. One of two pieces is not going to change the Braves fortunes. Already dug too big of a hole.