Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Fixing the Braves

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Rangers would laugh in our face if we offered that. Wright/Wilson don't have that much value anymore. AJax has barely any value at all. De La Cruz might only be a pen arm.

Not only are they going to take our terrible contracts off our hands but in exchange for their 3 best trade chips they are also going to take 3 of our prospects who aren't all that valuable anymore, 1 good prospect in Waters, and 1 lottery ticket in De La Cruz.

Yeah no.
    Definitely think it would take more, no doubt - the point is that if there's any kind of "big" trade made at this point, it's probably going to be one made with 2022 in mind as much as this season. As we've all mentioned before, there doesn't look like there's any kind of "quick fix" deal out there - and you're still too far back at this point to overpay and HOPE that Soroka and/or Ynoa reappear in time to make HUGE differences before it may be too late.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Jesus Christ.
    LOLOLOL

I think they call that a pu-pu platter. Or a pile of crap maybe

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    While I'm in the camp that doesn't see a "big move" being made (UNLESS we happened to take 3 of these games or sweep them) you could make the argument that making a big deal with Texas wouldn't be a terrible idea - since it could be made with an eye towards next season as well, especially if they're not sold on Waters (and maybe even Pache). A lot to follow here since it's more of a fantasy baseball trade, but...

Braves get:
    Kyle Gibson, Gallo, and Kennedy

Rangers get:
    Inciarte (to balance money), Camargo (to balance money), Wright, Wilson, Waters, A-Jax, and De La Cruz

Gibson's signed through next season, so there's your replacement for one of Morton or Smyly on a one year deal. Gallo's signed through next season, so he could play LF to give Harris time if you wanted to go after Bryant and move Riley to 1B. With Bryant, Riley, and Gallo's ability to play all four corner positions you could use Acuna in CF if you wanted to every once in a while and sign a much less expensive DH/1B type - or possibly bring d'Arnaud back or bring in Posey on a one year deal to split time behind the plate and at 1B so you wouldn't have to rush Langeliers.

You'd have a 2022 rotation with Gibson, Fried, Anderson, Soroka, Ynoa, Davidson, and Muller as your first 7 guys and Elder, Shuster, and Strider as your emergency options.
    The big problem I see with a lot of your proposals is that you send our bad contracts to the prospective trading partner to balance money from our end. Why would they do that for us?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-21-2021)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    LOLOLOL

I think they call that a pu-pu platter. Or a pile of crap maybe
    Don't besmirch the good name of pū-pū; I recently had some superb gratis platters at some of the best dive bars in Hilo.

On the other hand, "pile of crap" might not be sufficient in this case to describe the insufficiency of that offer. It's more along the lines of "day-three musical festival porta-john".
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (06-22-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    I'd be curious to hear what Gallo's batted ball profile is looking like. On the surface, his stats have declined since 2019. But this year, his K rate is down, his BB rate is up, yet is ISO is way down. Obviously power was his calling card previously. I say all of that to say, is he really that much of an upgrade that we would want to give up our top prospect for? He also grades negatively on defense.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,860 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I'd be curious to hear what Gallo's batted ball profile is looking like. On the surface, his stats have declined since 2019. But this year, his K rate is down, his BB rate is up, yet is ISO is way down. Obviously power was his calling card previously. I say all of that to say, is he really that much of an upgrade that we would want to give up our top prospect for? He also grades negatively on defense.
    I wouldn't say his stats have declined since 19. That was just an outlier year in which he played only 70 games. And last year was 2020 which I put almost zero stock in. His power is down but his xWOBA is in line with his 17 and 18 seasons. He would be a nice upgrade in left but not sure what the Rangers would be wanting back.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-21-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Do you think Gallo is still a 3b? Gallo rates extremely well on defense in RF and can actually play CF as well.

As far as his hitting, he's an all or nothing guy, but overall he's an above average hitter. And this offense really needs another LH bat.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-22-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    The big problem I see with a lot of your proposals is that you send our bad contracts to the prospective trading partner to balance money from our end. Why would they do that for us?
    I typically just throw framework pieces out there to get a discussion started - not a "this is what they'd take final offer. I would think that has been well-established over a good while, and explained I think it would take more as soon as someone pointed that out.

As for the money going back, we're all aware AA is dealing with a budget. He's on record as saying he can add salary, but not that he can add as much as he chooses. If he's going to add three pieces, chances are pretty good that there will need to be at least some money going the other way. They would be "doing that for us" to up the level of return.

One of the things we all tend to be guilty of is getting prospect fatigue with Braves' prospects much quicker than lots of people in other places. Albies, Soroka, Acuna, Anderson, Riley, Ynoa, and Contreras have spoiled us - that's a whole lot of pieces to have in place before they're 25 years old. All the "prospects" I mentioned are still 25 or younger, and all have been knocking on the door. Pitchers are always all but impossible to figure out - the light comes on with them at the strangest times. Allard looks to be figuring things out a bit - it could be that a change of scenery and less pressure-packed environment is what some of these guys need. A chance to actually get their feet wet without expecting to get sent down as soon as they give up more than 2-3 runs in an outing. We'll never find out while they're here since the Braves' window is open and they need people to perform right away. Texas can afford to give those types of players a month or two against MLB competition to see what they have where Atlanta can't.

I have no clue whether they like any of the names I threw out any more than anyone else does or if they'd bite if you changed Wright to Muller and Wilson to Davidson. They took Dane Dunning as the centerpiece in the Lynn deal - how much further up the lists was he?

Again, the whole point of the post was that AA probably needs to be looking for pieces that can also be controlled next season rather than pure rentals since we may already be out of it in 2021 unless something odd happens.
    Last edited by clvclv; 06-22-2021 at 11:16 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I understand your logic, but I just don't see anyone taking on our bad contracts, even those that are expiring, unless we substantially up what we're willing to send along in terms of prospects.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I understand your logic, but I just don't see anyone taking on our bad contracts, even those that are expiring, unless we substantially up what we're willing to send along in terms of prospects.
    I don't doubt that that's the case. Texas is just so hard to read since Allard was enough to get Martin.

If that means De La Rosa is enough to get Kennedy by himself, then you're looking at Waters, Wright, Wilson, and A-Jax plus for Gibson and Gallo. Not enough, but it's not like those two guys don't have plenty of holes in their games too.

That's the question - just how much sweetener would it take to get them to take Ender back since his and Gibson's money would mostly be a wash? Overall you'd be taking on around $7 million in salary THIS season, but also upwards of $20 million in 2022.