Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Fixing the Braves

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    531 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I read the article and I thought all the deals looked like no-brainers from the Braves' end that the other side would laugh at.
    Did HorseHideHarry ghost write these proposals?

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    fire Snitker and go from there
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    Did HorseHideHarry ghost write these proposals?
    More Murph3 except that each proposal only involved two teams.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Exactly. At this point I don't even see a point of giving up assets to acquire pieces to make a run. One of two pieces is not going to change the Braves fortunes. Already dug too big of a hole.
    We do get back several key players in the 2nd half and so far most of regulars have underachieved. So I would expect the 2nd half team to be a good bit better than the 1st half team. How much better is the question, and is the hole we've dug too deep to climb out of this season? Certainly, we can't afford anymore key injuries.

Gallo and Kennedy combined with adding Ynoa, Soroka, and TDA would make this team very dangerous, imo. But we're gonna need to be .500 team or better at the deadline. 3 games or more under .500 at the deadline and we should just sell all rental pieces aside from maybe Freeman.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-18-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Expecting to be 6 games better than the Mets because AA made some trades is foolish, especially since the Mets will also make additions.

We are nearing the point where the gap is too big, but we will have a much better idea soon. It’s pretty much now or never for this team. Go on a run so adding make sense, or just play out the string.

It’s funny though…would a flag last year have made this year any better to watch? Those flags fly forever, or so I’ve heard.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Expecting to be 6 games better than the Mets because AA made some trades is foolish, especially since the Mets will also make additions.

We are nearing the point where the gap is too big, but we will have a much better idea soon. It’s pretty much now or never for this team. Go on a run so adding make sense, or just play out the string.

It’s funny though…would a flag last year have made this year any better to watch? Those flags fly forever, or so I’ve heard.
    I'm usually with you on the "flags fly forever" nonsense, because usually it's an admonition against making an egregious, multiple-season-altering trade in service of a marginal, "get over the hump" addition (eg Chapman to the Cubs).

In this case, however, I do think having won the WS last season would make the disappointments of this season easier to stomach, because at least we'd know the team was able to eke one championship out of the current competitive window. As it stands, with Freeman's status up-in-the-air, the looming threat of a labor stoppage, et cetera, it feels like 2021 might become the last shot, and they're in the midst of blowing it.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (06-19-2021), JohnAdcox (06-21-2021), Mrs. Meta (06-19-2021), Super (06-19-2021)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Agreed. I have a queasy feeling about missing a generational opportunity, and a ring last year would have changed that significantly.

(edit to note that about 95%of my ire, if that were to happen, would be reserved for Liberty Media.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-19-2021), Mrs. Meta (06-19-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    I think people need to just get used to not being competitive. Gonna be a long while until the Braves win the division again. The fixing we need is in the front office, scouting, and drafting departments.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    fire Snitker and go from there
    Yep. I think I'd like to see Ron Washington get a chance. He has a great relationship with our core, has some experience, and I believe he'd also be the first African American manager for the Braves.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

chopdrew (06-19-2021), jpx7 (06-19-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I think people need to just get used to not being competitive. Gonna be a long while until the Braves win the division again. The fixing we need is in the front office, scouting, and drafting departments.
    We have a HUGE problem if we can't build a winning team around this core.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (06-21-2021)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    We have a HUGE problem if we can't build a winning team around this core.
    We already built a winning team around the core. We should have beaten the dodger$ last year. Some bad base running and bad managing probably cost us that series. This year has been a comedy of issues revolving around bad juju from an improper board name. Hopefully we have fixed that issue with GDT away from here, but we might still need to sacrifice thethe come playoff time to get that extra shot of optimism.
    Coppy

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (06-19-2021), JohnAdcox (06-21-2021), jpx7 (06-19-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I can't Imagine they are firing a manager that has won the division every year up to this season, overachieving in each.

The Braves again are suffering a ton of pitching injuries, but you can point at the offseason work as not getting the roster where it needed to go. I can live with limited budgets, but the Smyly signing was strange from the beginning and there is opportunity cost there.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-19-2021), GovClintonTyree (06-21-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    I don't believe they'll fire him. I DO believe they'd "promote" him to an advisory role and give him a big ceremonial farewell from the dugout.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Snit isn't going to get fired in the middle of the season. But I think it's likely he 'retires' at the end of the year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Lol
    Ivermectin Man

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (06-22-2021), jpx7 (06-19-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    there’s been injuries and bad luck/poor performance but AA deserves a fair amount of blame for what’s happening. he did not improve the roster nearly enough this offseason. the bench is atrocious and has been forced into too much duty. Smyly is a massive bust and that’s $11M wasted.

hopefully he learns and doesn’t make the same mistake.

i’m not giving up on the season yet tho.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Tell me again how the Braves have one of the worst farms in the league? Lol.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

Jaw (06-22-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    We do get back several key players in the 2nd half and so far most of regulars have underachieved. So I would expect the 2nd half team to be a good bit better than the 1st half team. How much better is the question, and is the hole we've dug too deep to climb out of this season? Certainly, we can't afford anymore key injuries.

Gallo and Kennedy combined with adding Ynoa, Soroka, and TDA would make this team very dangerous, imo. But we're gonna need to be .500 team or better at the deadline. 3 games or more under .500 at the deadline and we should just sell all rental pieces aside from maybe Freeman.
    While I'm in the camp that doesn't see a "big move" being made (UNLESS we happened to take 3 of these games or sweep them) you could make the argument that making a big deal with Texas wouldn't be a terrible idea - since it could be made with an eye towards next season as well, especially if they're not sold on Waters (and maybe even Pache). A lot to follow here since it's more of a fantasy baseball trade, but...

Braves get:
    Kyle Gibson, Gallo, and Kennedy

Rangers get:
    Inciarte (to balance money), Camargo (to balance money), Wright, Wilson, Waters, A-Jax, and De La Cruz

Gibson's signed through next season, so there's your replacement for one of Morton or Smyly on a one year deal. Gallo's signed through next season, so he could play LF to give Harris time if you wanted to go after Bryant and move Riley to 1B. With Bryant, Riley, and Gallo's ability to play all four corner positions you could use Acuna in CF if you wanted to every once in a while and sign a much less expensive DH/1B type - or possibly bring d'Arnaud back or bring in Posey on a one year deal to split time behind the plate and at 1B so you wouldn't have to rush Langeliers.

You'd have a 2022 rotation with Gibson, Fried, Anderson, Soroka, Ynoa, Davidson, and Muller as your first 7 guys and Elder, Shuster, and Strider as your emergency options.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Rangers would laugh in our face if we offered that. Wright/Wilson don't have that much value anymore. AJax has barely any value at all. De La Cruz might only be a pen arm.

Not only are they going to take our terrible contracts off our hands but in exchange for their 3 best trade chips they are also going to take 3 of our prospects who aren't all that valuable anymore, 1 good prospect in Waters, and 1 lottery ticket in De La Cruz.

Yeah no.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    While I'm in the camp that doesn't see a "big move" being made (UNLESS we happened to take 3 of these games or sweep them) you could make the argument that making a big deal with Texas wouldn't be a terrible idea - since it could be made with an eye towards next season as well, especially if they're not sold on Waters (and maybe even Pache). A lot to follow here since it's more of a fantasy baseball trade, but...

Braves get:
    Kyle Gibson, Gallo, and Kennedy

Rangers get:
    Inciarte (to balance money), Camargo (to balance money), Wright, Wilson, Waters, A-Jax, and De La Cruz

Gibson's signed through next season, so there's your replacement for one of Morton or Smyly on a one year deal. Gallo's signed through next season, so he could play LF to give Harris time if you wanted to go after Bryant and move Riley to 1B. With Bryant, Riley, and Gallo's ability to play all four corner positions you could use Acuna in CF if you wanted to every once in a while and sign a much less expensive DH/1B type - or possibly bring d'Arnaud back or bring in Posey on a one year deal to split time behind the plate and at 1B so you wouldn't have to rush Langeliers.

You'd have a 2022 rotation with Gibson, Fried, Anderson, Soroka, Ynoa, Davidson, and Muller as your first 7 guys and Elder, Shuster, and Strider as your emergency options.
    Jesus Christ.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-21-2021)