Thread: Ken Gurnick, eh???

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Those irregularities merely reveal the internal hypocrisy of Gurnick’s votes. His reasoning is far more problematic, and not simply because he has decided to eliminate an entire generation of ballplayers from his ballot. One need not even wade into those waters to point out that Gurnick’s definition of “the period of PED use” is woefully lacking. Assuming one even could establish a starting point for such a period, it would have come comfortably within the playing days of Morris, Smith and Bert Blyleven, whom Gurnick also voted for in 2011.

http://mlb.si.com/2014/01/07/greg-maddux-ken-gurnick-dodgers-mlb-hall-of-fame-vote/?eref=sihp

What a cunt
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    This reminds me of 98% of the people who vote in the general election.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-13-2014), KB21 (01-08-2014)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    This guy deserves to lose his vote quite simply.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (01-07-2014), CK86 (01-07-2014), CrimsonCowboy (01-08-2014), Dalyn (01-07-2014), Javyz1fan (01-08-2014), JohnAdcox (01-08-2014), jpx7 (01-07-2014), The Chosen One (01-07-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    I'm all for differing opinions but at least be consistent. Really the only thing I can say to Ken Gurnick is that he's a dumbass.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CK86 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (01-07-2014)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    **** that guy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    I know this will be unpopular but I wouldnt have voted for Maddux either, but for a different reason. I wouldnt vote for Maddux his first year on the ballot because he pulled a dick move and lied to JS to get him to offer arbitration. That caused JS to have to trade Millwood for pennies on the dollar to shed salary. Beyond that JS was scared to offer arbitration to pending free agents which cost the Braves several draft picks. I might not vote for any player that wasnt a one team guy on the first ballot. Now I would give the players that spent 15+ years with one team that changed teams in the twilight of their career the benefit of the doubt. Thats just my opinion though. In all honesty the hall of fame is really the hall of good and there are a ton that shouldnt be in.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    I'm furious right now. This guy belongs in the same hell that guys like Eric Gregg and soon Sam Holbrook belong in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    I think I agree with this guy in that unanimous votes may have less of a place in Hall of Fame balloting and seem more appropriate for something like whether to put this guy before a firing squad.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I know this will be unpopular but I wouldnt have voted for Maddux either, but for a different reason. I wouldnt vote for Maddux his first year on the ballot because he pulled a dick move and lied to JS to get him to offer arbitration. That caused JS to have to trade Millwood for pennies on the dollar to shed salary. Beyond that JS was scared to offer arbitration to pending free agents which cost the Braves several draft picks. I might not vote for any player that wasnt a one team guy on the first ballot. Now I would give the players that spent 15+ years with one team that changed teams in the twilight of their career the benefit of the doubt. Thats just my opinion though. In all honesty the hall of fame is really the hall of good and there are a ton that shouldnt be in.
    lol .
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts

While this is terrible reason to begin to begin with, Maddux didn't do anything. Scott Boras did this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    And who does Boras work for? If Maddux had fired Boras I wouldnt hold it against him. Not firing him tells me he was okay with it. To me this is karma. He/his agent who represents him did something I consider unethical, now a dip**** writer did something intellectually unethical that may have deprived him of being the first player inducted into the hall of fame unanimously. Maddux will still get the highest % ever which is hardly a consolation prize. First ballot votes should go to guys who played atleast 95% of their career with one team. Guys like Chipper Jones.

Also I would never vote for a Yankee. To me anything done as a Yankee is about as meaningful as Sammy Sosa's stats on steroids with a corked bat.

It’s over."

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    I'd call that voter a moron, but then I would be insulting all the other morons.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonCowboy For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-13-2014)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    My new theory is the writers are conspiring to make Jeter the first unanimous first ballot hall of famer. They will magically "change the tradition held by the old guard that nobody deserves 100%, by voting Captain Jeter as the first ever unanimous inductee on his gold glove caliber defense alone. If anybody deserves 100%, it's Derek Jeter"
    Forever Fredi

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-08-2014), Julio3000 (01-08-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Oh that would severely piss me off. I think Chipper has a shot. He is the second best 3B and second best switch hitter of all time. After all these years how many people can really say they were second best at a position? Or second best left hand or right handed batter of all time? He was the face of the division streak which is just as unbreakable of record as the hitting streak record. Now that I think about it I wouldnt put it past them to vote Rivera in unanimously.

It’s over."

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Just so they can come up with corny catchphrases "Mariano closes the door on there never being a player voted in unanimously into the Hall".
    Forever Fredi

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    Oh that would severely piss me off. I think Chipper has a shot. He is the second best 3B and second best switch hitter of all time. After all these years how many people can really say they were second best at a position? Or second best left hand or right handed batter of all time? He was the face of the division streak which is just as unbreakable of record as the hitting streak record. Now that I think about it I wouldnt put it past them to vote Rivera in unanimously.
    Chipper? No way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I just find it hard to believe there are people who really care that much that baseball players were on the roids. I mean I get that people don't like it, but to act like it just completely ruined the integrity of the game is a bit much. I mean... I bet Jack Morris was out there throwing vasoline balls anyway.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I was thinking Griffey would be the first one to go in unanimously.
    thank you weso1!

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    I was thinking Griffey would be the first one to go in unanimously.
    Not now. At least on the first ballot. The BBWAA will now band together in defense of Gurnick/tradition.

As to your comment in the post above this one: Face it, most sports writers/announcers are frustrated that they couldnt be those people they admire and write about whether derisively or not. The people who really know who is or is not worthy of HOF are players. But then you would undoubtedly destroy the integrity of the vote. No win situation IMO.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Hall of Fame? I have doubts if Greg Maddux even loves baseball.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

drewdat (01-08-2014)