Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: School Choice - It's Time

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Yes I'm onboard with ending catastrophic failures that produce stupid people
    Wish your mom was on board with this thinking

Hey o! :high five:

I won’t be here al night but still tips your bartenders and waiters
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    Wish your mom was on board with this thinking

Hey o! :high five:

I won’t be here al night but still tips your bartenders and waiters
    Speaking of moms... If your mom is a public school teacher doesn't this prove what a failure the system is?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,324 Posts
    Well, Texas gonna try again to get rid of public education

The race to the absolute bottom is full steam ahead
    lol. Read a little deeper there, Che.
    Last edited by Garmel; 05-05-2022 at 04:01 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Garmel For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (05-05-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    So how close are to school choice? Really want my daughter in a better school system, but with home prices being what they are, I'm not sure I can afford to move (and my house is probably worth close to double what we paid 5 years ago).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Speaking of moms... If your mom is a public school teacher doesn't this prove what a failure the system is?
    Look at you still trying

I’ll pass a long your thoughts to the elderly Christian lady helping special needs children and adults and her fight with systems to treat them as people etc

You’re such a ****ing loser. Lol
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    lol. Read a little deeper there, Che.
    Which part do you think I didn’t read about?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Look at you still trying

I’ll pass a long your thoughts to the elderly Christian lady helping special needs children and adults and her fight with systems to treat them as people etc

You’re such a ****ing loser. Lol
    Whoever was tasked with teaching you how to think, failed miserably

Like so many others, you had no chance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Whoever was tasked with teaching you how to think, failed miserably

Like so many others, you had no chance
    Great follow up lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    It is so delicious that the teachers unions starting sinking the public schools

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    910 Posts
    https://vigourtimes.com/chiefly-illi...cisco-schools/

The San Francisco school district is a slow learner, apparently. In February voters ousted three school-board members in landslide elections. One complaint was that the board was more interested in progressive gestures, such as scrubbing Abraham Lincoln’s name off school buildings, than in reopening classrooms amid the pandemic.

Now the San Francisco Chronicle reports that the school district is planning to phase out the word “chief” in its job titles, “given that Native American members of our community have expressed concerns.” Currently the district has executives with the customary roles of chief financial officer, chief of staff, and so on.

Here’s what is particularly amusing in this attempt at progressive sensitivity: While the English language has lots of words that can be traced to the native peoples of the Americas, including “chipmunk,” “barbecue” and “hurricane,” they don’t include “chief.” That word comes from Old French, and originally Latin, and the Oxford English Dictionary has citations back to 1297.

“Farewell great Chiefe,” says a character in Shakespeare’s “Antony and Cleopatra.” That’s dated to the early 1600s. Somehow we doubt he was thinking about the Sioux. A biblical translation from William Tyndale in 1526 speaks of “the power of Belzebub, the chefe of the devyls.” The earliest examples are hard to parse unless you’re fluent in Beowulfese, but here’s one we grasp from 1483, a decade before Columbus sailed to the west: “She was made abbesse and chyef of al the monasterye.”

Don’t San Francisco schools have English teachers who can explain this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Academics man.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,290 Posts
    It is so delicious that the teachers unions starting sinking the public schools

I wonder if the public to private school jump is one of those lifestyle creeps that once you do it and live with the cost you never look back.

Public schooling in this country is awful. Another example of the growing chasm between the haves and have nots.

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    910 Posts
    https://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/202...ca-larry-sand/

In districts that went remote, achievement growth was lower for all subgroups, but especially for students attending high-poverty schools. In areas that remained in-person, “there were still modest losses in achievement, but there was no widening of gaps between high and low-poverty schools in math (and less widening in reading).”

Another study, by curriculum and assessment provider Amplify, examined test data for some 400,000 elementary school students across 37 states and found a spike in students not reading at grade level, with literacy losses “disproportionately concentrated in the early elementary grades (K-2).” The report also found that minority children suffered disproportionate learning loss. As The Wall Street Journal reports, “During the last normal school year, only 34% of black and 29% of Hispanic second graders needed intensive intervention to help catch up. This school year 47% of black and 39% of Hispanic second graders have fallen this far behind on literacy, compared to 26% of white peers.”

And distressingly, a longitudinal study from the Annie E. Casey Foundation finds that kids “who don’t read proficiently by third grade are four times more likely to leave school without a diploma than proficient readers,” and “for the worst readers, those [who] couldn’t master even the basic skills by third grade, the rate is nearly six times greater.”

So what is the increasingly corrupt educational establishment doing as a corrective? Two primary “fixes” are in the works: grade inflation and graduating students from high school who are functionally illiterate. In fact, a report released on May 16 by ACT, a nonprofit organization that administers the college readiness exam, finds evidence of grade inflation in high school seniors’ GPAs. While ACT scores declined between 2016 and 2021, the average GPA for students taking the test increased.

The trend was especially noticeable among black students and those from low to moderate income homes. Sadly, this is nothing new. Big city districts with their equity-obsessed leadership and powerful teachers unions know they need to show they are not failing. So instead of providing true rigor and firing bad teachers, they simply raise grades.

Detroit is a particularly egregious case. While 72% of the city’s students are graduating from high school this year, only 8% of them are academically ready for college.

Baltimore is even more pathetic. At the city’s Patterson High School, only 3% of students are at grade level, 79% of students tested at the elementary level, and 18% had kindergarten and first-grade skills. One student graduated from Patterson High School without the ability to read, and 41% of the city’s high school students have a GPA under 1.0.

The teachers unions have not commented on the general dumbing down or the widespread grade inflation, but the National Education Association weighed in on the subject in 2017. Predictably, the union pretty much downplayed it, while vilifying conservatives. The union quoted the far-left Alfie Kohn, a longtime critic of letter grades, who cautions that “a focus on grade inflation is probably driven ‘more by conservative ideology than by evidence.’” The NEA added, “It's certainly not hard to imagine how headlines hyping an ‘epidemic’ of grade inflation feed into right-wing talking points about public schools covering up failures and indifferent teachers casually passing out A's to students as they walk out the classroom door.”

NEA’s concerns, you see, are elsewhere. Most recently, the union rolled out strategies to battle what really concerns them: climate change and the fact that the Supreme Court could do away with race-based admissions policies for colleges, and loosen restrictions on school prayer. And then there is the perennial teacher union mantra about the lack of funding being a problem.

But the funding claim, of course, is fallacious. The U.S. spent $752.3 billion on its 48 million children in public schools in 2019, 35% more per pupil than the average among the countries in the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), an increase of almost 5% from the previous year. But at the same time, fewer than 40% of U.S. students in 4th, 8th, and 12th grades are proficient or above in any core subject.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    The left destroys everything

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    They got everything wrong. They never apologized. They never got fired.

They expect us to keep listening to them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Remote learning gets a bad rap and certainly isn't for everyone, but I think long term it has benefited society. The chance for parents to actually hear the curriculum and class being taught is what led to the current efforts we see to reform school boards and refocus schools on education instead of indoctrination.

It's also a chance to see just how screwed a lot of these kids are. Both of my kids were reading at a higher level after second grade than some of the kids in my eldest's advanced seventh grade classes this year. There's no way to adequately structure a class around that kind of learning disparity. If that level of parental and school failure wasn't impeding my kid's ability to learn, where would my kid be? The only argument for home or private school that is better than the modern public school is the modern public school student.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    On a side not to that, my youngest rates as a proficient twelfth grade reader. But I still have to regularly explain or define words and passages from the Bible to her. How can a student possibly be defined as a proficient reader at a graduate level when they have trouble reading the book that has more basis for our civilization than any other? Our standards look like some championship level limbo. No wonder culture is as shallow as a rain puddle.
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    On a side not to that, my youngest rates as a proficient twelfth grade reader. But I still have to regularly explain or define words and passages from the Bible to her. How can a student possibly be defined as a proficient reader at a graduate level when they have trouble reading the book that has more basis for our civilization than any other? Our standards look like some championship level limbo. No wonder culture is as shallow as a rain puddle.
    Some parts of the Bible do require parental interpretation and intervention even for advanced readers. My younger son drew Deuteronomy 27 as the text to be expounded upon for his Bar Mitzvah.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    “Cursed be he that lieth with his father's wife; because he uncovereth his father's skirt. And all the people shall say, Amen.”

“Cursed be he that lieth with any manner of beast. And all the people shall say, Amen.”

"Cursed be he that lieth with his sister, the daughter of his father, or the daughter of his mother. And all the people shall say, Amen.”

“Cursed be he that lieth with his mother in law. And all the people shall say, Amen.”

It was especially fun helping him with these passages.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-31-2022 at 09:19 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Outside of "lieth," easily reconciled with a more modern translation, no one above the age of 10 should have difficulty with any of that.
    Go get him!