Results 1,981 to 1,992 of 1992

Thread: Trades/acquisitions

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    clv is preaching right now. No one is taking on Hosmer for a mid-level prospect for the next 3 years. Let's at least try to be realistic here. Thats like saying someone would take on BJ Upton's last 3 years for a Bryce Ball. Think thats happening?

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    To clv Before I tell you to go **** yourself I DO NOT KNOW WHAT ANY GM IS GOING TO DO OR NOT DO. NEITHER DO YOU FOR THAT MATTER. i say Cleveland to make it easy on your stunted brain. We all know Cleveland is in dire straits at the moment with the non existent OF.

I also believe that (from what I read and not internet jibberjabber) that money is not an issue with SD. I can imagine with the 3rd highest payroll (according to Spotrac) that the owner and GM are irrate with the fold job.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    much more concerned with what Preller may do. Hes made no secret of wanting rid of Hosmer and Myers. If he can dump their contracts that would pretty much pay for 2 years of FF and add in their pitching staff coming healthy.
    I'm not very worried about what Preller does.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Did you even read the post directly above yours? Preller CAN NOT trade them without eating a ton (which he sounds like he is willing to do) and he will not have to include anyone close to top 10 prospects.
    They didn't have money to make moves at deadline.

How the heck are they paying players to go away and signing Freddy to a splash deal and not trading prospects?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    To clv Before I tell you to go **** yourself I DO NOT KNOW WHAT ANY GM IS GOING TO DO OR NOT DO. NEITHER DO YOU FOR THAT MATTER. i say Cleveland to make it easy on your stunted brain. We all know Cleveland is in dire straits at the moment with the non existent OF.

I also believe that (from what I read and not internet jibberjabber) that money is not an issue with SD. I can imagine with the 3rd highest payroll (according to Spotrac) that the owner and GM are irrate with the fold job.
    Money is absolutely an issue with San Diego which is operating well, well beyond their usual payroll.

That club is going to have to hope they have internal improvement because they're limited in what they can do.

If these were desirable players they'd be keeping them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    They didn't have money to make moves at deadline.

How the heck are they paying players to go away and signing Freddy to a splash deal and not trading prospects?
    Lets revisit a couple things here before we go **** crazy again. Padres brought in Daniel Hudson and Adam Frazier. Not a great deal of money sure but not free either. Had strong talks for Kimbrel and RIzzo neither of whom was cheap but Cubs asking price was astronomical. Had great deal of interest in Gallo as well, again at great demand of prospects by Texas.

Now I ask you to show me one place where I have said Preller is going to sign Freddie. What I did say back a few days ago is that I was concerned about what Preller might do since the thoughts of some are that Freddie might want to go home to CA if money is better than what AA offers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    I might be in the minority, but I really don't think we should bring back any of Rosario, Duvall and Pederson, especially at what their costs will be. I think they fit fine for our needs this year but are imperfect fits going forward.

Rosario - likely played himself into a multi year deal. But remember, he was basically given away for free to us. He's been super inconsistent his whole career. Also not a great defender.

Duvall - Another who will probably require a multi year deal. But if you look at the numbers under the surface, he's essentially the same player we non tendered last year.

Pederson - He's been good for us but would just end up being a very expensive bench bat which he may not want to be and we may not have the luxury for.

Solar - Probably best suited for DH, which we don't even know if it will be here next year. We really need to see if we are stuck with Ozuna because he's the one we'd have to use at DH.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    I read somewhere last week that Rosario could probably get 3/25. That would probably be in line with a LF. Braves really need a little more LH power so I wouldnt complain with a deal like that.
    Duvall can probably be had for much the same deal as Rosario. The only consistency Duvall brings is flail and fail. Me, I would pass.
    Pederson has never been an every day player. $10M is too much for a bench bat.
    Soler has always had Braves interest, maybe only because of Dayton Moore, IDK, With everything we have heard about DH, I would think AA will try to keep him since there will be at least 14 more teams in the market for a DH.

Ozuna and Bauer IMO are going to be used as negotiating chips with new CBA. Either way I dont think it will turn out good for those 2.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I might be in the minority, but I really don't think we should bring back any of Rosario, Duvall and Pederson, especially at what their costs will be. I think they fit fine for our needs this year but are imperfect fits going forward.

Rosario - likely played himself into a multi year deal. But remember, he was basically given away for free to us. He's been super inconsistent his whole career. Also not a great defender.

Duvall - Another who will probably require a multi year deal. But if you look at the numbers under the surface, he's essentially the same player we non tendered last year.

Pederson - He's been good for us but would just end up being a very expensive bench bat which he may not want to be and we may not have the luxury for.

Solar - Probably best suited for DH, which we don't even know if it will be here next year. We really need to see if we are stuck with Ozuna because he's the one we'd have to use at DH.
    I don't see how. There is a mutual option on him. Even if Duvall turns it down he still has a year left of arbitration before he becomes a free agent. This assumes the new CBA doesn't change that rule.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-26-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I don't see how. There is a mutual option on him. Even if Duvall turns it down he still has a year left of arbitration before he becomes a free agent. This assumes the new CBA doesn't change that rule.
    Age. Duvall should be able to get a multiyear deal even tho at a mediocre value. 3/24 at his age 33 is way better than current deal.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Age. Duvall should be able to get a multiyear deal even tho at a mediocre value. 3/24 at his age 33 is way better than current deal.
    But will he be a free agent if he declines the option?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Not sure but with the rumors already out there about FA and work stoppage along with arbitration hearings not until Feb Im guessing arbitration goes away.