Page 22 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: Trades/acquisitions

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Did Pittsburgh get hosed or do people just have unrealistic expectations of what teams will/should ask for in return? Feels like the same old song every year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    With our injuries this isn't the year to do that
    Agreed that a move or so this season won’t matter, but I’m tired of the front office always being hesitant to make that impact move. We have always made the fringe moves

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    With our injuries this isn't the year to do that
    Last year was and we weren't

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    Braden Shewmake.
    Really???

Pretty impressive. I had no idea Shewmake's AAA slash line is .272/.367/.811. Oh wait, it's not - he's in AA and it's .223/.268/.654. Oh yeah - Marcano skipped AA entirely while Shewmake's struggling mightily at that level, not to mention the fact that Shewmake's 2 years older.

Did you even bother to look ANY of those guys up before deciding Pittsburgh "got hosed", or do you honestly believe Shewmake's a better player? Shewmake's so good that AA went out and traded for Arcia.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    What do the braves have to do in Mets series to get some help? Will 3 wins be enough? That would put us 4 back. If this happens and we truly feel good about getting Anderson, TDA, and ynoa back soon, I think you make a minor move. If we win 4, get a nice bat and reliever

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    Tucupita Marcano, Mitchell Miliano and Jack Suwinski for Frazier AND 1.4 million
    That’s a 40, a 35+ and a nothing.

Pirates gave him away.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Marcano is the Padres #5 and has played in the bigs. Only 21, so I get that one. Milano is a long ways away, but he is striking out 18.2/9 in Low A before being promoted to High A, where he's striking out 14.8/9. Control appears to be an issue, but those are some pretty awesome numbers. Suwinski is the one that doesn't make much sense to me. 22 years old (15th round in 2016) and pedestrian numbers until this year where he's broken out in AA.

PS--I'm not that high on Frazier.

PPS--To add to clvclv's point, Marcano not only skipped AA, he skipped High A as well. Probably Pittsburgh's starting SS by mid-week. We'll see where it goes from there.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 07-25-2021 at 07:47 PM.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Really???

Pretty impressive. I had no idea Shewmake's AAA slash line is .272/.367/.811. Oh wait, it's not - he's in AA and it's .223/.268/.654. Oh yeah - Marcano skipped AA entirely while Shewmake's struggling mightily at that level, not to mention the fact that Shewmake's 2 years older.

Did you even bother to look ANY of those guys up before deciding Pittsburgh "got hosed", or do you honestly believe Shewmake's a better player? Shewmake's so good that AA went out and traded for Arcia.

I was looking strictly at FV, but I do see that Marcano has easily outperformed Shewmake in the minors and at a higher level as well. I still think the Pirates got hosed overall though.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Last year was and we weren't
    I firmly believe last year was due to money. With covid we had next to nothing left.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,862 Posts
    Let's be real. With a 338 xWOBA compared to his actual 368 WOBA. A 362 BABIP. If the Braves traded for him then no doubt he would revert to the sub 100 WRC+ hitter he's been most of his career.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Garmel (07-25-2021)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Padres are said to be close in Kimbrel also.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Padres are said to be close in Kimbrel also.
    gonna be funny when they get knocked out in the WC game

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    For the record, I hope we sell this year, but was VERY disappointed that we did not buy last year…likely cost us a WS appearance (at the least). The Padres are a great example of being aggressive and still maintaining a good farm system. Just think of all the big trades they have made from last deadline thru this one (and they are likely not done yet).

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    For the record, I hope we sell this year, but was VERY disappointed that we did not buy last year…likely cost us a WS appearance (at the least). The Padres are a great example of being aggressive and still maintaining a good farm system. Just think of all the big trades they have made from last deadline thru this one (and they are likely not done yet).
    I’m disappointed in last year too, but we aren’t able to make trades like the Padres have because our system doesn’t have near the same depth in large part due to the international sanctions.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Would you go to Vegas and play a game where the house tilt or edge is 75%? Blackjack is 1-2%, Craps is about 1.5-5%, slots 3-20%. For a 5% house edge you should expect to lose a nickel for every dollar you have over time. There IS always the possibility of hitting it big which keeps people gambling. But almost all eventually leave without shirts.

BUT, no one gambles when the odds against them are 75% or worse. The Braves odds to make the postseason, not actually win anything is much worse than that.

You sell if you have any sense. You sell them all (those on expiring contracts and others if the value/return equation is right).

Asking for the suspension of disbelief and mismanaging expiring assets in effort to carry on the illusion of being competitive (not even great) is a quick way to extended mediocrity topped with an eventual rebuild.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

PawPawMaxwell (07-26-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    gonna be funny when they get knocked out in the WC game
    Right now, they'd be matched up with dodgers so very real possibility. We closer to a guaranteed playoff series than them right now. Granted, they're looking like a lock for WC

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    The worst thing we could do is split the the Mets series, imo. Leaves in a position where we're still within reach, but still not really playing well. We need to sell everyone that isn't in the plans for 2022.

I don't see us realistically trading Freeman, but Morton, Smyly, Martin, etc.need to be sent packing for the best possible return. Sucks that TDA won't return before the deadline. He would be a nice piece too.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    600 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    The worst thing we could do is split the the Mets series, imo. Leaves in a position where we're still within reach, but still not really playing well. We need to sell everyone that isn't in the plans for 2022.

I don't see us realistically trading Freeman, but Morton, Smyly, Martin, etc.need to be sent packing for the best possible return. Sucks that TDA won't return before the deadline. He would be a nice piece too.
    I mean it’s not out of the question TDA could be dealt. If a team was good on his health he’d just need a couple weeks to finish coming back.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    I’m disappointed in last year too, but we aren’t able to make trades like the Padres have because our system doesn’t have near the same depth in large part due to the international sanctions.
    Yes, not as many big trades….but we were a top three team in baseball with massive holes in the rotation and we traded for Tommy Milone. Let me say that again for the people in the back…we were a top three team in baseball WITH the massive rotation problem and that was the ONLY move made. Horrid.

This year, they can trade expiring contracts and it won’t matter. These trades might give us some extra ammo for any off-season trades needed. It needs to be done (well except for Freddie).

22. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (07-26-2021)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Yes, not as many big trades….but we were a top three team in baseball with massive holes in the rotation and we traded for Tommy Milone. Let me say that again for the people in the back…we were a top three team in baseball WITH the massive rotation problem and that was the ONLY move made. Horrid.

This year, they can trade expiring contracts and it won’t matter. These trades might give us some extra ammo for any off-season trades needed. It needs to be done (well except for Freddie).
    I wasn't in the room on the top floor and didn't have access to the balance sheets, but I share your disappointment. I see Milone is on the 60-day DL. Probably with narcolepsy. He keeps nodding off during the time it takes for his fastball to reach the catcher. He's always well rested.

They needed another starter last year and maybe one more bench bat. While he's not a bench bat, I thought last year was the time to go get Starling Marte, but I get that the finances were probably too tight to make the move.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 07-26-2021 at 07:10 AM.