Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Jon Heyman
    @JonHeyman
    ·
    13m
    Bryant has been linked to the Mets for weeks but Baez is in the discussions as well. Baez could replace his great friend Lindor at SS, then switch to 2B once Lindor returns. Baez said aloud this week he wanted to team with Francisco. So either Bryant or Baez are possible for NYM.
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,709 Posts
    Guessing that we in on a big one (Bryant), but we'll miss out, and then go plan B, C, or D

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Guessing that we in on a big one (Bryant), but we'll miss out, and then go plan B, C, or D
    I fully expect us to do either nothing, or make a Tommy Milone-esque move.

Then AA will sit up in the booth tonight and talk about how high the prices were, we aren't going to mortgage the future, we believe in this club, etc. blah blah blah

I hate being a Braves fan sometimes.
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Muller is throwing 92 to 94. Once that ticks down you are going to have JT version 2. He is on borrowed time and should be cashed in Withing the next few years IMO.
    I hadn't noticed it was down this year. He had been clocked consistently in the mid to upper 90s in the minors. Perhaps in the majors they've taught him to "pitch" rather than "throw."

Either way, averaging 93.7 on your FB is better than average, particularly for a lefty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I hadn't noticed it was down this year. He had been clocked consistently in the mid to upper 90s in the minors. Perhaps in the majors they've taught him to "pitch" rather than "throw."

Either way, averaging 93.7 on your FB is better than average, particularly for a lefty.
    Muller said he’s learned to throw at the mitt instead of thru it. So I’m guessing he’s gave up some velocity for control.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

Carp (07-30-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    We were one of the finalists for Gallo so I’d say AA wants a difference maker. Jose Ramirez name hasn’t been mentioned at all at the deadline and they are 8 games back. He’s the perfect player for us being a switch hitter and being under control more than just one season too.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

Carp (07-30-2021), Jaw (07-30-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    I fully expect us to do either nothing, or make a Tommy Milone-esque move.

Then AA will sit up in the booth tonight and talk about how high the prices were, we aren't going to mortgage the future, we believe in this club, etc. blah blah blah

I hate being a Braves fan sometimes.
    Why should we be breaking the bank when we aren't even a .500 ball club?

Everyone pissing and moaning about AA not making any moves. The only moves we absolutely SHOULD be making is selling our rentals. But Freeman and Morton pretty much control where they want to go, and perhaps they've been asked and they simply don't want to go anywhere. At that point, the best move seems to be play it safe and hope the guys we have coming back can help us climb back into contention.

There legitimately is no sense in "going for it" with a below .500 ball club, regardless how bad the division is. Even in the unlikely chance we actually make the playoffs, we're super likely to be trounced in the 1st round.

If we're adding pieces that are controlled longer than 3 months, that does have some merit. I still question that logic though, since you're still giving up value in a year that is likely lost.
    Last edited by Carp; 07-30-2021 at 07:54 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    What would it cost to get Jeimer Candelario?

Have to think the Tigers would be willing to deal almost anyone.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    We were one of the finalists for Gallo so I’d say AA wants a difference maker. Jose Ramirez name hasn’t been mentioned at all at the deadline and they are 8 games back. He’s the perfect player for us being a switch hitter and being under control more than just one season too.
    The best news about us being in for Gallo was AA targeting someone who would be here next year as well. Unless it's for scraps I don't like the idea of bringing in Bryant just to see him walk.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Carp (07-30-2021), clvclv (07-30-2021), Jaw (07-30-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    The best news about us being in for Gallo was AA targeting someone who would be here next year as well. Unless it's for scraps I don't like the idea of bringing in Bryant just to see him walk.
    Robbie grossman

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Why should we be breaking the bank when we aren't even a .500 ball club?

Everyone pissing and moaning about AA not making any moves. The only moves we absolutely SHOULD be making is selling our rentals. But Freeman and Morton pretty much control where they want to go, and perhaps they've been asked and they simply don't want to go anywhere. At that point, the best move seems to be play it safe and hope the guys we have coming back can help us climb back into contention.

There legitimately is no sense in "going for it" with a below .500 ball club, regardless how bad the division is. Even in the unlikely chance we actually make the playoffs, we're super likely to be trounced in the 1st round.

If we're adding pieces that are controlled longer than 3 months, that does have some merit. I still question that logic though, since you're still giving up value in a year that is likely lost.
    At this point, money is a factor. We are open at full capacity and have been drawing larger crowds than normal. You fall far enough out of the race, attendance will definitely drop off.

The money we could be making by playing well the rest of the season, plus add in a few possible playoff games, that is a lot of money to help recover from last years losses and be used for payroll next year.....

Speaking of payroll, Dodgers payroll is up to $275m....good god
    Get off my lawn!

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    Bryant and Kimbrel would be a perfect match. If it takes one of Pache/ Waters and 1 of the myriad of pitchers who are borderline big leaguers then so be it. Plus a filler from way down the list. I’d love to keep Mueller because his stuff plays so far. He’s at least a useful pen arm shop f not a decent starter in the bigs. But the truth is, most of these guys are just below average big leaguers at best. If we are gong to build a champ level teams most aren’t going to be a big part of it anyway.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jpack1 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-30-2021)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    We kind of have our core of players that are already in MLB. I don’t see a true difference maker on the minors, probably some useful players, but a lot of guys who are basically equivalent to each other. Real difference makers are already up at this point. Other difference makers are going to have to come from other organizations one way or another. Trading from all this pitching we have drafted would be ideal, but it’s not that valuable, hence why drafting pitching over position players is so stupid in general.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I’m with you. I like Bryant and if Acuna were still healthy he’d be a great add. But at this point we need somebody controlled thru next year too. The NL East winner will more than likely be playing the NL Central winner so that wouldn’t be the worst get in the 1st round.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-30-2021)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Sorry. Not doing anything at the deadline is a bull**** decision. Either sell or buy. Don’t pander to the fans and say prices were too high. If that is the case you sell. Doing nothing is poor management.
    Coppy

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Jaw (07-30-2021), WaitingFor2017 (07-30-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    At this point, money is a factor. We are open at full capacity and have been drawing larger crowds than normal. You fall far enough out of the race, attendance will definitely drop off.

The money we could be making by playing well the rest of the season, plus add in a few possible playoff games, that is a lot of money to help recover from last years losses and be used for payroll next year.....

Speaking of payroll, Dodgers payroll is up to $275m....good god
    The difference in attendance is likely to be inconsequential from a numbers standpoint. You're probably talking about 10-15% (tops) less attendance than you would normally expect in the same time span in a normal competitive year. We ALWAYS see a reduction in attendance in August/Sept as schools start back up, regardless if we're leading the division or bottom dwellers.

Not to mention, that really isn't how teams do business from year to year.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpack1 View Post
    Bryant and Kimbrel would be a perfect match. If it takes one of Pache/ Waters and 1 of the myriad of pitchers who are borderline big leaguers then so be it. Plus a filler from way down the list. I’d love to keep Mueller because his stuff plays so far. He’s at least a useful pen arm shop f not a decent starter in the bigs. But the truth is, most of these guys are just below average big leaguers at best. If we are gong to build a champ level teams most aren’t going to be a big part of it anyway.
    Disagree 100 %.

I don't know that those guys make us a favorite to beat the central and certainly not the West or the AL. We are not that good.

We can beat the Mets, but I'm not giving up on our best prospects for a couple of months and maybe some playoff games.

This year is cursed. We need to plan to win big in 2021-2023. Kimbrel is good, but he could go bad again as an old RP. We need money to improve the future team.

Sell Morton to the Padres for a 50-55 that could maybe play next year. Let the young guys pitch. If you can get off Smith, do that. We can get 3 different RPs for 5 million that will be a better use of funds than 13 million for Smith.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-30-2021), WaitingFor2017 (07-30-2021)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    The difference in attendance is likely to be inconsequential from a numbers standpoint. You're probably talking about 10-15% (tops) less attendance than you would normally expect in the same time span in a normal competitive year. We ALWAYS see a reduction in attendance in August/Sept as schools start back up, regardless if we're leading the division or bottom dwellers.

Agree.
    Albies, FF and Riley is going to be interesting. Young Pitchers are interesting. Maybe some prospects up late. Lots of reasons for people to watch and go to the game. People are tired of being inside and will go to the game.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Sorry. Not doing anything at the deadline is a bull**** decision. Either sell or buy. Don’t pander to the fans and say prices were too high. If that is the case you sell. Doing nothing is poor management.
    Our 2 biggest trade pieces essentially control if they are traded or not. So that possibly plays a part in why we aren't selling. As far as buying, it's been discussed ad nauseam.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts

Not from a year to year standpoint. But we had 0 fans in the stadium last season. You have to maximize your fan attendance and spending at al cost this season. Fans don't just buy the ticket, they spend money on parking, food, beer, etc. If we can maximize profits this year to offset last seasons losses, this team would be in a much better spot in the offseason.

Keep in mind, if we strike in 2022, you would be losing 2 seasons of fan revenue.
    Get off my lawn!