Page 19 of 100 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: Trades/acquisitions

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I thought about Whit, though he's slipped below league average in wRC+.
    Yes but that contract is super cheap and he can become our new Markakis. Plus play second base in case we need him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    6 WS (won 3)
    6 CS losses
    Career .537 winning %
    The game passes us all up eventually. And his players seemed to pretty vocal about that.

However, I'm sure he can still manage a BP well.
    Last edited by Carp; 07-22-2021 at 10:58 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    It's strange to say a guy isn't good just bc you don't like em.
    No one said he's wasn't a good manager. The point was made about how he can't relate to today's players, as evidenced by his fiasco earlier this year. Their record doesn't affect that statement in any way.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    He was my #1 target if the NL had the DH for 2021. Not surprised the Rays covet him.
    Well the NL doesn’t have the DH so looks like you were wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    huh?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TURBO For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-23-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    What in the world are you talking about?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Me too. I saw him play here in Nashville with the Sounds, on that stacked Brewers’ AAA affiliate. That team won the PCL and featured Cruz, Braun, Corey Hart, and Rickie Weeks. Prince Fielder had just been called up earlier that month as well.

Of note: former Braves legends Jeff Bennett and Kevin Gryboski were also on that team.
    Oh, and JJ Hardy. Knew I was forgetting one.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Let’s say AA goes out and gets Bryant or Marte, and TDA comes back to be a .750+ OPS bat.

Marte
    Freeman
    Albies
    Joc
    Riley
    TDA
    Swanson
    Heredia

Is that lineup good enough to win the division if Anderson comes back and Ynoa can help out too?

I think maybe yes…
    The problem here is I still think Marte costs you more than you'd really like to pay - he just fits for too many teams - unless you plan to extend him. Putting Waters or Pache in a deal for him and Garcia would make tons of sense IF you were going to extend him, but I think somebody's probably willing to give the Marlins a pretty nice piece for him even if they're only renting him.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Everyone would be 'only renting' him. An extension after the fact doesn't add to the value of the contract you're trading for.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

Carp (07-23-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    Everyone would be 'only renting' him. An extension after the fact doesn't add to the value of the contract you're trading for.
    It's not about the "value of the contract".

It would be unbelievably stupid for Alex to include one of Waters or Pache in the deal if he doesn't think Marte is the difference in winning the division AND he plans on extending him. With the way things have gone for the Braves in 2021, they'd get Marte only to see Freddie hit on the hand next week causing him to be out until the middle of September.

If you're only going to rent Marte for two months - when you're four games back and as inconsistent as this team continues to be - trading Waters or Pache for him would be idiotic if you're not going to step up and keep him around. Enscheff's exactly right when he keeps preaching that AA needs to improve the team around the edges, hope Freddie and Ozzie stay hot, the pen improves, and you get a couple pieces back relatively soon. A "go for it" trade for ANY rental player when you're in this situation would be beyond stupid.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (07-23-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    It's not about the "value of the contract".

It would be unbelievably stupid for Alex to include one of Waters or Pache in the deal if he doesn't think Marte is the difference in winning the division AND he plans on extending him. With the way things have gone for the Braves in 2021, they'd get Marte only to see Freddie hit on the hand next week causing him to be out until the middle of September.

If you're only going to rent Marte for two months - when you're four games back and as inconsistent as this team continues to be - trading Waters or Pache for him would be idiotic if you're not going to step up and keep him around. Enscheff's exactly right when he keeps preaching that AA needs to improve the team around the edges, hope Freddie and Ozzie stay hot, the pen improves, and you get a couple pieces back relatively soon. A "go for it" trade for ANY rental player when you're in this situation would be beyond stupid.
    Get off my lawn!

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I don't think it's the value of the contract, it's the difference in the value of the player if he's only going to be with the team for the remainder of 2021 or if agrees to a new contract and remains with the team beyond 2021. You occasionally see trades where the acquiring team works out a deal prior to the trade (there used to be a 72-hour rule about that and I don't know if that is in the current Collective Bargaining Agreement) that would keep the player with the acquiring team beyond the current season.

I don't like trading within the division, but I would consider it for Marte if we could keep him around. Once again with my broken record, we should have acquired him from the Diamondbacks at the 2020 deadline. He would have solved so many problems.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-23-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I don't think it's the value of the contract, it's the difference in the value of the player if he's only going to be with the team for the remainder of 2021 or if agrees to a new contract and remains with the team beyond 2021. You occasionally see trades where the acquiring team works out a deal prior to the trade (there used to be a 72-hour rule about that and I don't know if that is in the current Collective Bargaining Agreement) that would keep the player with the acquiring team beyond the current season.

I don't like trading within the division, but I would consider it for Marte if we could keep him around. Once again with my broken record, we should have acquired him from the Diamondbacks at the 2020 deadline. He would have solved so many problems.
    It's like I mentioned yesterday - the Astros are in Position A to trade something valuable for Marte right now, even if they only keep him for two months. Three of their Top 10 prospects are SS/CF types, AND they can shift Bregman there next season if they don't re-sign Correa. They won't lose either way. Two of them have already reached AAA, so they're legitimate candidates to hold those positions down in Houston next season if they're not traded. You can dream on Waters or Pache being the Braves' CF in 2022, but if you're not looking through your Braves' colored glasses you realize that Leon and Pena are better offensive prospects right now. They can "fix" both SS and CF from within in 2022 - there's nothing that says Pache and Waters are "answers" in CF for the Braves at this point, but "there's a chance".

I wouldn't hesitate to give one of those guys up IF you're going to keep Marte around, but taking a chance the one you trade figures it out in Miami while the other one doesn't here would just be nuts. When you're not overly confident in either of them right now, what on earth would make you think you could pick the right one to keep?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Rich Hill traded to the mets
    Get off my lawn!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (07-23-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    The Mets are acquiring Rich Hill from the Rays for Tommy Hunter and a minor-league player.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    The Mets are acquiring Rich Hill from the Rays for Tommy Hunter and a minor-league player.
    Interesting seeing the Rays both sell and buy.

I'm going to chalk this up to the Rays being 10x smarter than the Mets.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts

From mlbtraderumors:

In his past seven starts, he’s tallied just 33 1/3 innings and yielded 20 runs on 34 hits and 16 walks. Seven of those hits have left the yard, and Hill’s 28 strikeouts (19.3 percent) in that time represent a pretty pronounced decline. Overall, he’s sitting on a 5.40 ERA and 5.25 SIERA since June 12.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    This is great. We own lefties, including Rich Hill.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,699 Posts

Making room for scherzer... or (gulp) Morton?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    From mlbtraderumors:

In his past seven starts, he’s tallied just 33 1/3 innings and yielded 20 runs on 34 hits and 16 walks. Seven of those hits have left the yard, and Hill’s 28 strikeouts (19.3 percent) in that time represent a pretty pronounced decline. Overall, he’s sitting on a 5.40 ERA and 5.25 SIERA since June 12.
    Yeah. At 41 he's probably on his last leg. Mets just need bodies at this point.