Page 10 of 100 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Trades/acquisitions

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McCann'sCans View Post
    I think you're dramatically underestimating how much of the casual fan base would turn on the team if they sold Freeman and Swanson. In a vacuum from a competitive standpoint, you should absolutely trade both of them if you are confident that Freddie isn't resigning. In reality, I think there is a near 0% chance that either of those two would be traded. If they go 3-12 leading into the deadline and get swept in 5 games by the Mets I might up those odds to 5%, but I just can't see it happening unless Freddie literally says 'send me to the Red Sox and I'll come back next year.'
    i think Swanson would be ok to move. Freeman is much trickier. but you’re probably losing him anyway (not that casuals will totally grasp that necessarily).

personally i’m all for punting the rest of this year. sell whatever vets you can.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    trying to trade your way back into contention after losing your MVP seems like a terrible idea. huge, hard pass on that idea.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    From a competitive standpoint, there is no question trading them for prospects would be better than trying to compete at all this year. From a business standpoint- which can also impact the competitive opportunities down the road- it's very much not that simple, especially coming on the heels of lost revenue last season and a work stoppage looming.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McCann'sCans View Post
    From a competitive standpoint, there is no question trading them for prospects would be better than trying to compete at all this year. From a business standpoint- which can also impact the competitive opportunities down the road- it's very much not that simple, especially coming on the heels of lost revenue last season and a work stoppage looming.
    definitely. but it’s just one year. this team can be good and fine next year even if you trade a bunch of the vets this year. and this current team isn’t going to be good even if you keep all of them.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    All I have heard from Freddie and even less from AA is "I want to be a Brave" and "We would like to keep Freddie" Then too from Freddie "I havent spoken to AA about an exension". What he is not saying nor AA for that matter "My agent and AA talk weekly". Its all about looking for the best deal and dont kid yourself that Freddie would take less than market value to stay. The biggest issue in my mind is the large number of vacancies that need to be filled NEXT YEAR and if 2 or more of those voids can be filled with FF money then it has to be considered. Swanson is somewhat of a void and anchor when considering the strong SS market coming up this winter. He is somewhat acceptable at $10M if there is a DH coming. But, what happens if Dansby wants to go West to be with his girlfriend just for example? Then in 2023 you're looking for a SS.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Re: Attendance. Braves are currently #1 in attendance with a sub .500 team. The potential loss of attendance for the Braves trading Freeman and Swanson would only effect the Braves for 2 months if they do it at the deadline.

Attendance is still going to be fairly good imo regardless of who is traded or how the team plays the rest of the way.

Trading Freeman boils down to one thing. Are you seriously planning on bringing him back. AA has to already know if he's willing to give Freeman the contract he wants or not. This won't be a situation where Freeman needs top dollar and will go the highest bidder. A competitive offer (that won't be team friendly and likely be bad at the end) will get it done and I think that's fair. If AA is willing to offer that then he should keep Freeman. If he knows he won't (and very well could be the right move considering everything) then he has to trade him, period.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

PawPawMaxwell (07-15-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Attendance in Atlanta is driven by how competitive the Team is. The Team isn't going to be competitive the rest of the year, certainly not more than marginally. If they keep FF for 3 more months to get an extra 50-100K fans into the seats and then let him walk in the offseason and replace him with a lesser version forcing the team to be mediocre again, year after year, attendance will decline. Freeman is going to cost about $10M for the rest of the season. How many butts? If each fan spends an average of $100 then that's 100K fans just to pay for Freeman. I'm not suggesting give him away for nothing. But if you can get building blocks for the future, you have to do it, especially if you think he's going to require a Goldy contract to re-sign.
    I totally disagree. The fact that we are still drawing high attendance this year despite the fact that the team has been hard to watch, is proof that people are showing up just to watch our exciting players. You're telling me young kids don't want to come out just to see their favorite players like Freeman, Albies and Acuna?

Remember when the Phillies signed Harper and immediately had tons of more deposits on season tickets? Yes people show up when teams are winning, but they are also driven to come to watch exciting players.

So yes I agree with msstate7. Attendance and revenue generation is more important than any fringe prospects we'd get back in these deals. Besides, aside from Freeman, who really has trade value? Swanson? He's having a terrible year and is a DFA candidate. Martin has regressed, Morton doesn't want to play outside of TB or ATL, Will Smith has an untradeable contract, and Smyly for his cost is barely tradeable.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I totally disagree. The fact that we are still drawing high attendance this year despite the fact that the team has been hard to watch, is proof that people are showing up just to watch our exciting players. You're telling me young kids don't want to come out just to see their favorite players like Freeman, Albies and Acuna?

Remember when the Phillies signed Harper and immediately had tons of more deposits on season tickets? Yes people show up when teams are winning, but they are also driven to come to watch exciting players.

So yes I agree with msstate7. Attendance and revenue generation is more important than any fringe prospects we'd get back in these deals. Besides, aside from Freeman, who really has trade value? Swanson? He's having a terrible year and is a DFA candidate. Martin has regressed, Morton doesn't want to play outside of TB or ATL, Will Smith has an untradeable contract, and Smyly for his cost is barely tradeable.
    Swanson is actually on pace to have his best full season. He will cross 2 fWAR for the first time and hit over 20 homers.

I think it's estimated he will make around 10 million in arbitration next year. Which is more than reasonable for a ~2 WAR guy. I think there is a zero chance he is a DFA candidate unless he completely tanks the rest of the season.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    trying to trade your way back into contention after losing your MVP seems like a terrible idea. huge, hard pass on that idea.
    I agree completely. You can't lose Acuna, while struggling for half a season to cross .500, and trade for enough to overcome Acuna's loss AND fill all the holes that led you to below .500 anyway. That doesn't even count the likely loss of Anderson.

Trading what's left of the farm to be the tallest of the short at the end of the season makes no sense.

And, if you want to be good in 2022 and beyond, and you don't plan to pay FF a Goldy type contract or Swanson the $10M he will need for his last control year, then you have to move them, even if you lose every game from here on out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Trading Freeman for a fringe prospect or 2 won’t cut it. Best thing at this point is to just ride it out and see what happens. Trading Freeman with Acuna down already will piss off the regular fans and they are the ones going to the games all the time. Freeman won’t try to break the bank bc he wants to keep the team competitive but he will want something fair no doubt. To replace his production you’re gonna have to spend the same amount so just suck it up and give it to him.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Trading Freeman for a fringe prospect or 2 won’t cut it. Best thing at this point is to just ride it out and see what happens. Trading Freeman with Acuna down already will piss off the regular fans and they are the ones going to the games all the time. Freeman won’t try to break the bank bc he wants to keep the team competitive but he will want something fair no doubt. To replace his production you’re gonna have to spend the same amount so just suck it up and give it to him.
    This is true. The O's seemingly got nothing but filler for Machado when they traded him in 2018. Freeman, the superstar that he is, doesn't really have a lot of trade value due to his impending free agency. So the right move may be hold out and get that free draft pick if nobody is willing to offer up anything worthwhile. Hopefully there is a GM that gets stupid and feels the pressure of contending.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Swanson is actually on pace to have his best full season. He will cross 2 fWAR for the first time and hit over 20 homers.

I think it's estimated he will make around 10 million in arbitration next year. Which is more than reasonable for a ~2 WAR guy. I think there is a zero chance he is a DFA candidate unless he completely tanks the rest of the season.
    Yeah that's not going to happen.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    This is true. The O's seemingly got nothing but filler for Machado when they traded him in 2018. Freeman, the superstar that he is, doesn't really have a lot of trade value due to his impending free agency. So the right move may be hold out and get that free draft pick if nobody is willing to offer up anything worthwhile. Hopefully there is a GM that gets stupid and feels the pressure of contending.
    Pairing a comp pick with a top 15 draft pick might well be the best thing for the org if it isn't re-signing him.

Avoids the backlash of a trade and maybe the pool money nets better talent than what a team is willing to trade for a few months of 1b help.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    I think holding for the pick is best case as of now if the alternative is a Machado-type package. We should already have much more money to spend in next year’s draft since this season sucks, and if you add in a pick in the early 30s, we’d easily have top 10 money in next year’s draft.

The risk is the expiring CBA. What happens if they take out free agents being tied to picks? Then we could be left with nothing. That my only concern with keeping Freeman at this point.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    I think holding for the pick is best case as of now if the alternative is a Machado-type package. We should already have much more money to spend in next year’s draft since this season sucks, and if you add in a pick in the early 30s, we’d easily have top 10 money in next year’s draft.

The risk is the expiring CBA. What happens if they take out free agents being tied to picks? Then we could be left with nothing. That my only concern with keeping Freeman at this point.
    Nothing might well be better than almost nothing.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post

It is a concern. But if that changes I think it would have to go into effect following the 2022 season. By the time the CBA is likely finalized most of the free agents will already be signed with their salaries already effected by the perceived loss of a draft pick. But who knows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Y'all gonna keep talking about trading FF, and Markakis is gonna beat the F out of AA

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Yeah, but if FF isnt traded in the next 15 days we will have to talk about something else. Like FF moving on in FA and no return at all.
    Last edited by PawPawMaxwell; 07-15-2021 at 02:38 PM. Reason: added a thought

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Can't FF veto any trade? If his family lives in Atlanta during the season, he very well might do that

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Can't FF veto any trade? If his family lives in Atlanta during the season, he very well might do that
    he can