Page 11 of 100 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Trades/acquisitions

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Yeah, but if FF isnt traded in the next 15 days we will have to talk about something else. Like FF moving on in FA and no return at all.
    I bet picks will still be applied to this FA class

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    2021 is done. It was 90+% done before Acuna went down. It's 100% done now. Floundering around trying to maintain respectability at this point is just dumb. It's not really how MLB is set up at this point.

Priority #1: The Braves need to see if they can nullify Ozuna's contract (I'm sure they are looking at all options). He's not tradeable and not playable. At this point, whether he did anything or not, he's an albatross.
    Priority #2: The Braves need to trade: Freeman, Swanson, Morton (has to be the right team), Smyly and Smith and get best value coming back, even if it means sending money the other way (if they stay then you're paying them anyway)
    Priority #3: They should certainly be OPEN if the right opportunity presents itself to trading Adrianza, Heredia, Almonte, d'Arnaud (if he gets healthy enough quick enough to trade), Luke Jackson, Minter, Martin, Matzek and Santana. These guys probably would mostly be sweeteners on any deals involving those above.
    Priority #4: Be prepared to move, on an opportunity basis, from the pool of upper level minor league bouncers like Wright and Wilson if needed to flesh out a deal.

Deals should be for best talent you can get regardless of proximity to the ML. There shouldn't be any "got to have a ML first baseman back" type deals.

It would take guts to do it but if AA wants to extend the Window, IMO, this is the best way to do it.
    I agree with almost all of this. The only part I don't completely agree with is "maybe" trading TDA...if he is healthy he is traded.

I also don't care about what casual fans think. They are casual, and change their minds weekly, so nothing they think or do would impact my plans in any way. If you win, they will come.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Horsehide Harry (07-15-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    This is true. The O's seemingly got nothing but filler for Machado when they traded him in 2018. Freeman, the superstar that he is, doesn't really have a lot of trade value due to his impending free agency. So the right move may be hold out and get that free draft pick if nobody is willing to offer up anything worthwhile. Hopefully there is a GM that gets stupid and feels the pressure of contending.
    The O's are stupid, and most likely valued unloading Machado's salary as much as they did the return package. We have seen elite rentals like Chapman get good prospects in return.

AA obviously isn't going to trade Freeman for a poo-poo platter. If he trades him to a team like SD or Bos he should be getting at least a Top 100 guy, which is way more valuable than a comp pick. If no team offers up an acceptable prospect, keep Freeman.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Carp (07-16-2021), Horsehide Harry (07-15-2021), WaitingFor2017 (07-15-2021)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    I hope you guys are right and we get solid prospects for every single player on an expiring contract (with the exception of Freddie if both parties intend to resign). I just ultimately don't think it's that simple, as much as I'd like for it to be.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Heyman lists us as a potential seller. https://twitter.com/jonheyman/status...215300098?s=21

And then says no way Freeman is traded: https://twitter.com/jonheyman/status...659956742?s=21

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Heyman lists us as a potential seller. https://twitter.com/jonheyman/status...215300098?s=21

And then says no way Freeman is traded: https://twitter.com/jonheyman/status...659956742?s=21
    FF is gonna be a brave for many more years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    FF is gonna be a brave for many more years.
    I agree. He gets resigned. They both know the number the other is wanting it’s just a matter of who blinks first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post

So, that means we’re a buyer. Anything Heyman says, it’s the opposite.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (07-15-2021)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    No sooner than Heyman says it, the Braves add Joc.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    No sooner than Heyman says it, the Braves add Joc.
    he said that after actually. said “no big names.”
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (07-15-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    When do we force mlb's hand on ozuna? Surely it's time to send on a rehab assignment

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    This is true. The O's seemingly got nothing but filler for Machado when they traded him in 2018. Freeman, the superstar that he is, doesn't really have a lot of trade value due to his impending free agency. So the right move may be hold out and get that free draft pick if nobody is willing to offer up anything worthwhile. Hopefully there is a GM that gets stupid and feels the pressure of contending.
    Orioles got a consensus top 100 prospect (that would be top 50 by the end of the 2018 season) and couple other semi-intriguing prospects for a half year of Machado. I'd say that was way more than filler.

If the Braves can get a consensus top 100 prospect with helium for Freeman, they need to do it now.
    Last edited by Carp; 07-16-2021 at 08:46 AM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    With the Pederson addition, I wonder if there's not a legitimate chance we see Ender DFA'd. While neither Almonte nor Pederson are great options in CF they can hold it down in a pinch, and this team so desperately needs offense carrying Ender in case you need him to play defense in center is really going to hurt you.

Demeritte's healthy again, he's hot, and he gives you a perfect in-house platoon partner for Pederson without having to make another deal strictly for that. If AA's going to go out and get a legitimate starting LF I'm OK with that, but I don't want to see him go out and get Duvall to platoon with Joc and waste another prospect or two. I'd much rather pay Ender to go home and replace him with Demeritte since he can handle both corners - if he was starting against a lefty and Joc had the day off, Pederson or Almonte could be your backup CF that actually might help offensively in the late innings if something happened to Heredia during a game.

At this point I think Ender may be a bigger waste of a roster spot than Panda. If Heredia misses time in the second half, we're going to see Waters or Pache in CF - they simply can't start Ender for any length of time.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    With the Pederson addition, I wonder if there's not a legitimate chance we see Ender DFA'd. While neither Almonte nor Pederson are great options in CF they can hold it down in a pinch, and this team so desperately needs offense carrying Ender in case you need him to play defense in center is really going to hurt you.

Demeritte's healthy again, he's hot, and he gives you a perfect in-house platoon partner for Pederson without having to make another deal strictly for that. If AA's going to go out and get a legitimate starting LF I'm OK with that, but I don't want to see him go out and get Duvall to platoon with Joc and waste another prospect or two. I'd much rather pay Ender to go home and replace him with Demeritte since he can handle both corners - if he was starting against a lefty and Joc had the day off, Pederson or Almonte could be your backup CF that actually might help offensively in the late innings if something happened to Heredia during a game.

At this point I think Ender may be a bigger waste of a roster spot than Panda. If Heredia misses time in the second half, we're going to see Waters or Pache in CF - they simply can't start Ender for any length of time.
    There is someone that would likely take Ender’s salary for the rest of the year at the deadline. He is still a nice defensive replacement for a contender.

I doubt that happens because they don’t want to start someone like Water’s clock just to get rid of Ender.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I agree with almost all of this. The only part I don't completely agree with is "maybe" trading TDA...if he is healthy he is traded.

I also don't care about what casual fans think. They are casual, and change their minds weekly, so nothing they think or do would impact my plans in any way. If you win, they will come.

I’m with you. Although, with Freddie stating he wants to stay a Brave, I would be shocked if they traded him. I think even the Joc trade was a gesture of good faith with Freddie (among other things).

AA (sadly) will not move anyone. He will make some more low cost additions (like Joc), that are really more about next year than this year…all to give the appearance of going for it this year.

I wish we took the Yankees approach in 2016….we likely won’t.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

WaitingFor2017 (07-16-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    There is someone that would likely take Ender’s salary for the rest of the year at the deadline. He is still a nice defensive replacement for a contender.

I doubt that happens because they don’t want to start someone like Water’s clock just to get rid of Ender.
    Sorry, but I'm afraid you're living in a fantasy world if you think someone else is going to pay what's left of Ender's salary. Were you not paying attention when no one claimed Adam Eaton? Eaton was actually making less than Ender is. If you honestly believe there's someone that would, name them - just ONE team.

Read a little closer - they'd be replacing Ender with Demeritte, not Waters. Waters or Pache would wind up in CF later in the second half IF Heredia gets hurt and they need a true CF for more than a day or two. Starting Waters' clock likely isn't a concern at this point - they'll call him up if he goes on a tear or someone gets hurt - but even if it was you'd still have Pache if you don't want to start it and you need defense. There's nothing they can do to get any extra control over Pache at this point, so he'll be back if he ever starts hitting.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Sorry, but I'm afraid you're living in a fantasy world if you think someone else is going to pay what's left of Ender's salary. Were you not paying attention when no one claimed Adam Eaton? Eaton was actually making less than Ender is. If you honestly believe there's someone that would, name them - just ONE team.

Read a little closer - they'd be replacing Ender with Demeritte, not Waters. Waters or Pache would wind up in CF later in the second half IF Heredia gets hurt and they need a true CF for more than a day or two. Starting Waters' clock likely isn't a concern at this point - they'll call him up if he goes on a tear or someone gets hurt - but even if it was you'd still have Pache if you don't want to start it and you need defense. There's nothing they can do to get any extra control over Pache at this point, so he'll be back if he ever starts hitting.
    I’d be fine with that. No arguments here. I just don’t think they will cut Ender no matter how done the fan base is with him.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I’d be fine with that. No arguments here. I just don’t think they will cut Ender no matter how done the fan base is with him.
    The fan base has been done with him for some time now - the point is AA may now finally be at the point where it makes more sense to just pay him what's left to get him off the roster rather than waste more prospect capital trading for someone to platoon with Pederson, and we can bet our sweet *sses that Snitker will play Joc EVERY DAY if Alex doesn't put someone in place and tell him he can't.

One way or the other, it's probably time to release one of Ender or Panda to create roster space - Pederson can play a little 1B, so you've got 2 guys you can play over there behind Freddie (Joc and Riley), and with Arcia and Adrianza both on the roster there are two guys to play at 3B behind Riley if needed. You could make the argument that it's time to cut BOTH those guys and keep Camargo on the roster since he can play defense at several positions and hit a little bit from the right side every once in a while.
    Last edited by clvclv; 07-16-2021 at 01:11 PM.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    I imagine they will try and move Inciarte before the deadline and will be unsuccessful in doing so. My guess is he’s either not playing much for the Braves or is not on a team by the time the season ends.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Marlins still haven't announced their lineup for a game in an hour and a half. Maybe the marte/Duvall package to Atlanta for Kyle Wright and ender will be announced soon. The Atlanta return was a joke, but I hope the first part isn't