Page 20 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: Trades/acquisitions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Yeah. At 41 he's probably on his last leg. Mets just need bodies at this point.
    Hope this is a sign degrom is gonna be out awhile

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Regardless of how it turns out for Hill going forward, he's one of the great examples of perserverance in the game and had his best seasons after age 35 thanks to some of the advancements in the use of data as it pertains to scouting. The guy has a frequent buyer's card at the arm surgeon, but he has stayed at it.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    The Mets got Rich “down” Hill!! 😂

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    600 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    From mlbtraderumors:

In his past seven starts, he’s tallied just 33 1/3 innings and yielded 20 runs on 34 hits and 16 walks. Seven of those hits have left the yard, and Hill’s 28 strikeouts (19.3 percent) in that time represent a pretty pronounced decline. Overall, he’s sitting on a 5.40 ERA and 5.25 SIERA since June 12.
    Huh isn’t that right around the time of the sticky stuff enforcement?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    Huh isn’t that right around the time of the sticky stuff enforcement?
    That's one of the theories attributed to his declining performance.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,367 Posts
    Yeah I think the Rays knew Hill was holding it together by sticky tact. Cashed out before he crashed out.
    Coppy

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    600 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    That's one of the theories attributed to his declining performance.
    It would seem like the Rays would have the greatest insight on that. I think they just sold the Mets a lemon

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    619 Posts
    “Sold the Mets a lemon”

That’s just so funny

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    The minor league player the Mets sent to the Rays--Matt Dyer--looks like the kind of player that really fits the Rays. Principly a catcher, he also can play OF and 1B. If he shows he can hit, he's one of those moveable parts that seem to flourish in Tampa.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Regardless of how it turns out for Hill going forward, he's one of the great examples of perserverance in the game and had his best seasons after age 35 thanks to some of the advancements in the use of data as it pertains to scouting. The guy has a frequent buyer's card at the arm surgeon, but he has stayed at it.
    Rich Hill and I are both old enough to remember when Hill was a hotshot young prospect for the Cubs. His career surely hasn’t gone the way he expected back in those days, but you’re right — he has a lot to be proud of.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (07-23-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,131 Posts
    The Rays and As and Dodgers are just so much smarter than everyone else it almost isn't fair.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    It was mentioned the other day that the Rays could make another move or so to clear some space for Nelson Cruz in the budget. This is a perfect deal for them.

As for the Mets, they should have deGrom and Synerdaard back soon
    Get off my lawn!

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Rays and As and Dodgers are just so much smarter than everyone else it almost isn't fair.
    Yes Dodger$$$$!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,131 Posts
    The Braves currently sit 4 games back with a playoff odds of around 10%. The decision to buy or sell should probably happen immediately after the 5 game stretch with the Mets. If they sell, they need to sell everything, and if they decide to buy they need to add at least 1 arm and 1 bat. In no circumstance should they attempt to walk the buyer/seller line.

So the morning of July 30, where do the Braves need to be in order to be buyers? Obviously, losing 5 straight to the Mets turns them into sellers. But what if they take 3 of 5 and increase their playoff odds to 15%? What if they do better and increase their odds to 20%?

My opinion: If the playoff odds are at 15%+ on July 30th, and nobody else is injured...buy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    I'm very much on board for a full sale, but Morton is probably the only piece that AA would trade that could bring back a significant piece. I really hope he does it. Even if we're on the fence about competing the rest of the year when the deadline comes, I just want AA to cash in on Morton.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    The Braves currently sit 4 games back with a playoff odds of around 10%. The decision to buy or sell should probably happen immediately after the 5 game stretch with the Mets. If they sell, they need to sell everything, and if they decide to buy they need to add at least 1 arm and 1 bat. In no circumstance should they attempt to walk the buyer/seller line.

So the morning of July 30, where do the Braves need to be in order to be buyers? Obviously, losing 5 straight to the Mets turns them into sellers. But what if they take 3 of 5 and increase their playoff odds to 15%? What if they do better and increase their odds to 20%?

My opinion: If the playoff odds are at 15%+ on July 30th, and nobody else is injured...buy.
    I would look hard at moves that make me better for 2022 and/or 2023. Make those deals now. Maybe there is a team that is worried about money this year and next year and you can get a deal. Otherwise I need to be 2 games back from the Mets or better at the deadline to do anything. If I can get a rental for nothing, then I'll do a slight upgrade. But I'm not dealing a top 30 prospect unless I'm 2 games out or better. This year is cursed and the Mets have a lot of guys back.

We also do not know what the Braves think about Ynoa, Anderson, TDA and minor leaguers. If they think Ynoa is 75% of what he was this year, Anderson is Anderson and TDA is 75% of what he was last year then they'll be more aggressive.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Interesting seeing the Rays both sell and buy.

I'm going to chalk this up to the Rays being 10x smarter than the Mets.
    Not so sure this was "selling" as much as just unloading salary to pay Cruz with.

They can get what they've been getting from Hill lately from plenty of their arms. Archer's ramping up in Durham, Baz has advanced there, and McKay's starting to pitch in games again - all of those guys ought to be options to replace those innings by the end of August.

This was probably an easy way to get $1 million to give Cruz while clearing a roster spot for him IMO.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Not so sure this was "selling" as much as just unloading salary to pay Cruz with.

They can get what they've been getting from Hill lately from plenty of their arms. Archer's ramping up in Durham, Baz has advanced there, and McKay's starting to pitch in games again - all of those guys ought to be options to replace those innings by the end of August.

This was probably an easy way to get $1 million to give Cruz while clearing a roster spot for him IMO.
    Add to that the Rays are a team that uses openers with some regularity and have pitchers pitching multiple innings in relief (where'd they come up with such a crazy idea). Rays seem to be a step ahead most of the time (although I still wonder about the Adames deal).
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 07-23-2021 at 02:27 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-23-2021)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    The guys coming back from injury are the real wild card for the Braves.

We can speculate, but I hope the team is basing their plans on a little more knowledge and data than we have.

If they expect the injured guys to come back strong, then they hope to be buyers next week. If there are questions about their recovery, then they are probably just leading us on for a few more games before starting the sale.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    The only issue with acquiring guys who have control beyond this year is, you don't wanna have to pay extra for the 2 months of this year when we likely have no shot at the playoffs. Better off looking in the off season