Page 24 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Thread: Trades/acquisitions

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Padres are said to be shopping Eric Hosmer in trade discussions. They are trying to get under the luxury tax

Marlins are shopping Marte, Duvall, and Relievers
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Morosi: Sources: #Twins discussing José Berríos in trade talks with multiple teams, including #Padres and #Dodgers.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    620 Posts
    We need to get Marte, K Bryant, and Kimbrell.
    The cost of that would be beyond brutal .
    I’m talking Waters, Pache, Vodnik, Muller, Langliers, Shewmake bad.
    Long as we keep Michael Harris I’m all for going all in.
    This is why I am not GM.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    This is why I am not GM.
    At first glance I thought someone tainted your hookah. Then I thought..hmmm. No. Hookah tainted.

In reality if I thought first this team could be WS contenders and not playoff challenged, there wouldn't be too many off limit prospects (and I love my prospects). After this series we will see if the Braves have a pulse, otherwise Mortimer...SELL...SELL.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    This is why I am not GM.
    Marte and Bryant should not cost a lot as they are free agents to be.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I will say, if trading Bae gets you a good return, I would probably do it. This a really deep SS class coming up. Even if top shelf guys like Seagar, Baez, and Correa aren't in our price range, there a plethora of other really good/solid starting options like Semien, Story, Crawford, Iglesias, Galvis, and even Simba.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-26-2021)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    At first glance I thought someone tainted your hookah. Then I thought..hmmm. No. Hookah tainted.

In reality if I thought first this team could be WS contenders and not playoff challenged, there wouldn't be too many off limit prospects (and I love my prospects). After this series we will see if the Braves have a pulse, otherwise Mortimer...SELL...SELL.
    I just don't like the idea of using resources to try to get at the talent level you had entering the season. And that's what getting Marte and Bryant for example would do on the offensive side. If you can make upgrades without giving up real prospects then that's fine.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-26-2021)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I will say, if trading Bae gets you a good return, I would probably do it. This a really deep SS class coming up. Even if top shelf guys like Seagar, Baez, and Correa aren't in our price range, there a plethora of other really good/solid starting options like Semien, Story, Crawford, Iglesias, Galvis, and even Simba.
    Agreed. I like Swanson for who he is. He's an average player that still should be underpaid going into his last year of arbitration. So there is value there. If you plan on making an upgrade in the offseason then moving him at the deadline makes a lot of sense. But I suspect the Braves would have to lose 4 or 5 from the Mets to truly be out of it for them to consider that move now.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-26-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Simba hurt or is this what he is with the bat now? BABIP suggest some bad luck, but his exit velocity is Ender level.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    I was actually thinking about Semien the other day while watching Mets/Blue Jays. He had a huge defensive turnaround in Oakland and basically said Ron Washington was the entire reason for it. And he's obviously hit a ton this year. He'd be a great fit.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

Carp (07-26-2021), jpx7 (07-26-2021)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Simba hurt or is this what he is with the bat now? BABIP suggest some bad luck, but his exit velocity is Ender level.
    Probably who he is now. At 31 his defense isn't what it once was so he's a hard pass.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Carp (07-26-2021), jpx7 (07-26-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Agreed. I like Swanson for who he is. He's an average player that still should be underpaid going into his last year of arbitration. So there is value there. If you plan on making an upgrade in the offseason then moving him at the deadline makes a lot of sense. But I suspect the Braves would have to lose 4 or 5 from the Mets to truly be out of it for them to consider that move now.
    I'm actually fine with holding onto Swanson for his final arb year. I'm of the belief that players usually perform their best during contract years, so I expect a good one out of him. Plus he appears to be a big part of the clubhouse.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-26-2021)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I'm actually fine with holding onto Swanson for his final arb year. I'm of the belief that players usually perform their best during contract years, so I expect a good one out of him. Plus he appears to be a big part of the clubhouse.
    For sure. I'd be fine with it too. There are upgrades to made at other spots too. Catcher and CF clearly come to mind as places the team will need to improve on in 2022. No idea how LF is going to play out. Braves potentially have Pederson available so a platoon of sorts could be in the works there.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-26-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    50’s point sums it up pretty completely, and it’s a little surprising to hear that take from you when you were one of the first ones to point out - All-Star game appearance aside - that he’s an around the edges type of add. High BABIP, soft contact guy having a career year.

Does he improve your team? Sure.

If AA had given up Shewmake, Estes, and a throw-in for him, people here would have been *issed.

They didn't get a "haul" for him - but the question is, should they have expected to?
    Nope. "Gave him away" certainly suggests a light return, but that's probably all a guy like that was worth.

I haven't really thought too hard about whether AA should have gone after him.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-26-2021), jpx7 (07-26-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Heyman's latest tweet: Almost all contenders are prioritizing starting pitching (possible exceptions: White Sox, Astros) meaning prices will be steep for the few available SP. Position players generally won’t bring as much, tho it helps to be a star (Story, Bryant) or versatile (Bryant, Merrifield)

Even more reason to deal Morton and Smyly.
    The Braves really do need to unload all the expiring assets, including Freeman. If they have to tiptoe around his feelings, talk about how they wanted to send him to a contender because he deserves a shot at a WS.

In 3rd place and 5 games back, the Braves playoff odds have dropped to like 8%. Short of a decisive 5 game stretch vs the Mets, there is no realistic way for this roster to compete for anything meaningful.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-26-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Braves really do need to unload all the expiring assets, including Freeman. If they have to tiptoe around his feelings, talk about how they wanted to send him to a contender because he deserves a shot at a WS.

In 3rd place and 5 games back, the Braves playoff odds have dropped to like 8%. Short of a decisive 5 game stretch vs the Mets, there is no realistic way for this roster to compete for anything meaningful.
    I liked your reset idea with Toronto.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts
    Nothing earth-shattering at all, but writers at both Yahoo! Sports and ESPN think the Braves should go after Starling Marte. The Yahoo! writer thinks the Braves should acquire Starling Marte and Eduardo Escobar in the next week.

Here is the blurb from the ESPN article:
    Doolittle: With Ronald Acuna Jr. and Marcell Ozuna out, and with Cristian Pache trying to find himself in the minors, the Braves need more outfield help than Joc Pederson can provide. Marte would give the Braves' as-is lineup some needed dynamism for the stretch run. Atlanta and Miami don't seem to get along very well with each other, but that shouldn't preclude the front offices from coming to an accord on a fair offer. Miami will surely get some strong proposals for Marte, but I'd like to see the Braves put their best foot forward, while their current window of contention remains open. Freddie Freeman is still an elite player, but as good as he is, he can't be that forever.

Schoenfield: Turn this into an intradivisional bidding contest between the Braves and Phillies, both in need of a center fielder. The Braves have a much better farm system, but the Phillies might be more desperate.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    What and with whom would be considered fair>excellent return for FF trade?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    lol. You guys crack me up. One thing we have learned is AA is going to be conservative at best. If anyone thinks we will be buyers or sellers haven’t been paying attention to this regime. We will make one more minor move before end of July and that will be it.
    Coppy

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    lol. You guys crack me up. One thing we have learned is AA is going to be conservative at best. If anyone thinks we will be buyers or sellers haven’t been paying attention to this regime. We will make one more minor move before end of July and that will be it.
    After Wednesday game see if you should reconsider.