Page 25 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

Thread: Trades/acquisitions

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Braves really do need to unload all the expiring assets, including Freeman. If they have to tiptoe around his feelings, talk about how they wanted to send him to a contender because he deserves a shot at a WS.

In 3rd place and 5 games back, the Braves playoff odds have dropped to like 8%. Short of a decisive 5 game stretch vs the Mets, there is no realistic way for this roster to compete for anything meaningful.
    I agree for the most part. Unless they really are committed to re-signing Freddie. If AA really wants the team to have a shot at winning the division, the upgrades need to be in place for this Mets series. He can’t wait around to see if we win three or four out of five. So might as well go ahead and sell.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    What and with whom would be considered fair>excellent return for FF trade?
    Using Trade Simulator (not the be all end all), the Braves could send Freeman to San Diego and get Robert Hassell (I don't think ATL will trade Freeman nor SD part with Hassell). Atlanta could take Hosmer back in the trade and get more pieces out of that since he has a negative value.

In looking at that site (once again, not the be all end all), the Braves could send Freeman to San Diego and get any of their top prospects as long as Hosmer is attached back in the trade here.
    Last edited by WaitingFor2017; 07-26-2021 at 01:30 PM.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts
    Mark Bowman suggests the Braves go get as reliever (stretching on that one....). He thinks it makes more sense to go after Raisel Iglesias or Taylor Rogers instead of Kimbrel.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    Mark Bowman suggests the Braves go get as reliever (stretching on that one....). He thinks it makes more sense to go after Raisel Iglesias or Taylor Rogers instead of Kimbrel.
    In the same article, the Rays writer suggested trading for Morton.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Simba hurt or is this what he is with the bat now? BABIP suggest some bad luck, but his exit velocity is Ender level.
    As one who's only a majority-in "numbers guy", I never bought in on anything they supposedly said about him being so dramatically improved offensively - we watched him for too long.

That's not to say I always thought he was going to be the hitter he was here and not improve, I've just never considered him as anything other than a defensive wizard who gave you a little bit with his bat for stretches every so often.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    They need Kimbrel or a Kimbrel type as closer to allow Smith to be the primary setup man. And then they need at least one other solid 6th-8th inning guy. Chris Martin looks toast right now. But these upgrades should have already been in place.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    They need Kimbrel or a Kimbrel type as closer to allow Smith to be the primary setup man. And then they need at least one other solid 6th-8th inning guy. Chris Martin looks toast right now. But these upgrades should have already been in place.
    I get what you are saying but do you really think $29M for the back end of the pen is a wise move?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    I get what you are saying but do you really think $29M for the back end of the pen is a wise move?
    You could trade one of them in the off-season. I’m just saying, be serious about competing or don’t. But the moves should have already been made. It’s pointless to be like, well we will see if we win four against the Mets and then make the moves. You need the help now to win four out of five.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Simba hurt or is this what he is with the bat now? BABIP suggest some bad luck, but his exit velocity is Ender level.
    Some bad luck, but he just doesn't hit the ball hard anymore. I would have to dive outside my depth, but I think when he had his uptick in Los Angeles in 2017 and 2018, he was hitting the ball with more authority and from the bits and pieces I saw, he was hitting with authority to all fields. He's always been a bit of an arm swinger and he's not the strongest guy around. Still fielding fairly well. I was surprised the Twins sprang for $11 MM last off-season, but they viewed him as the guy who would move Polanco off SS for good and hit enough to warrant the move.

Twins have been a mess this season. Nothing has really gone right. They are said to be shopping anyone with a pulse (but then the front office says publicly that they intend to contend next season) and Simmons may be interesting to a couple of teams that are trying to make a run.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 07-26-2021 at 02:11 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    What and with whom would be considered fair>excellent return for FF trade?
    Indians make a lot of sense. So the Red Sox.

If I'm trading with the Indians, I like Valera the most among their prospects. Nice power/on base combination. Rochio, Arias, and Freeman are also nice looking prospects.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts
    Indians make a lot of sense. So the Red Sox.

If I'm trading with the Indians, I like Valera the most among their prospects. Nice power/on base combination. Rochio, Arias, and Freeman are also nice looking prospects.

Freddie has 10/5 rights, so would he even waive them to go to Northeast Ohio or Boston for two months? I figured he would only waive them to go to Southern California. With that being said, I doubt the thought of him being traded ever comes up anyway.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Freddie has 10/5 rights, so would he even waive them to go to Northeast Ohio or Boston for two months? I figured he would only waive them to go to Southern California. With that being said, I doubt the thought of him being traded ever comes up anyway.
    Just spitballing. I find the odds we trade Freddie are extremely slim. SD obviously makes some sense in their needs, but looks like they are trying to get under the luxury tax and adding Freddie won't help with that.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

WaitingFor2017 (07-26-2021)

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    I don't mind selling at this point, especially the likes of Smyly, Morton or d'Arnaud. You probably won't rack up the returns for them, but maybe you can get some talented lottery picks to beef up the lower minors. And if you can have a wink-wink/nudge-nudge conversation with Freddie about accepting a trade, then looking kindly on a contract offer from us in the offseason, all the better.

I do think it's important that we keep our eye on 2022 at the deadline. Selling is one thing, but there's absolutely no need for the team to go back into deep rebuilding mode. We can absolutely compete for big things next year, so let's try not to smash the tub to bits while we're throwing out the bathwater.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    I am telling you guys, we are going to do nothing this deadline. AA will say he didn't want to mortgage the future for slight improvements nor did he want to tank the team when we are still close to a playoff birth. AA is extremely conservative GM and will let this deadline go by with nothing. Mark my words
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I am telling you guys, we are going to do nothing this deadline. AA will say he didn't want to mortgage the future for slight improvements nor did he want to tank the team when we are still close to a playoff birth. AA is extremely conservative GM and will let this deadline go by with nothing. Mark my words
    AA never really does anything on the day of the deadline. I highly expect the commitment to being mediocre this season.

This just wasn't our year. It happens.
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Nah, I predict an OF that's hardly a difference maker. He'll then cross his fingers, hope TDA, ynoa, and Anderson return strong, and that this forum changes its name

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Nah, I predict an OF that's hardly a difference maker. He'll then cross his fingers, hope TDA, ynoa, and Anderson return strong, and that this forum changes its name
    I agree that he might thrust another Joc at us to make us happy, but it will probably end up soft and unproductive when we need it.. Selling is the right move but he doesn't have the balls to make that move. that would be a hard thing to do to a team still within striking distance and was one win away last year. We know his MO by now. He is not going to make the headline moves at the deadline.
    Coppy

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    So I guess all our pending FAs will just walk off in November and wave good bye.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    I don't mind selling at this point, especially the likes of Smyly, Morton or d'Arnaud. You probably won't rack up the returns for them, but maybe you can get some talented lottery picks to beef up the lower minors. And if you can have a wink-wink/nudge-nudge conversation with Freddie about accepting a trade, then looking kindly on a contract offer from us in the offseason, all the better.

I do think it's important that we keep our eye on 2022 at the deadline. Selling is one thing, but there's absolutely no need for the team to go back into deep rebuilding mode. We can absolutely compete for big things next year, so let's try not to smash the tub to bits while we're throwing out the bathwater.
    Here's the issue with trading Freeman. From a human standpoint, he has young twins at home. A trade will guarantee he does not get to see them at all for the next 2 months plus playoffs. Maybe that means nothing or maybe it does, but just worth mentioning. With 10/5 rights, he has the say in the matter.

Also as others have noted, be prepared for a very boring trade deadline from AA as usual.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Here's the issue with trading Freeman. From a human standpoint, he has young twins at home. A trade will guarantee he does not get to see them at all for the next 2 months plus playoffs. Maybe that means nothing or maybe it does, but just worth mentioning. With 10/5 rights, he has the say in the matter.

Also as others have noted, be prepared for a very boring trade deadline from AA as usual.
    He also lives in California. If he was traded to the west coast, that wouldn't be an issue
    Get off my lawn!