Page 28 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Thread: Trades/acquisitions

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Still not a fan. We hold valuable assets (Morton/Smyly) that can help us in the future. Holding them to pursue our 8% playoff chance is not smart.
    Imagine you're picking from our farm system for Morton/Smyly. What's a reasonable return for either of those?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Buster Olney says we continue to tell teams that we are buying. Just unreal.
    If get it. We're in a contention window and we're clearly playing teams tough on a nightly basis. I just hope we don't sell the farm.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    Imagine you're picking from our farm system for Morton/Smyly. What's a reasonable return for either of those?
    I have no idea. Fangraphs mocked up a Scherzer to Houston deal for two 50s and a 40+. Scherzer is more valuable than Morton, but that's a solid place to start. So maybe a 50 and a 40+ lottery ticket? That would be Langeliers and one of Davidson/Shewmake/Strider/Tarnok.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    If get it. We're in a contention window and we're clearly playing teams tough on a nightly basis. I just hope we don't sell the farm.
    I wouldn't worry. We'll get an OF that's competent to replace our incompetents. May get a reliever.

My official guess is Duvall

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Still not a fan. We hold valuable assets (Morton/Smyly) that can help us in the future. Holding them to pursue our 8% playoff chance is not smart.
    I'm totally there with you. As has been the case with the Braves at the deadline, I expect a thud either way. It's better for my health.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

CJ9 (07-27-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Hopefully just a bluff by AA. If the Mets take the the next 3, that would put us 8 games back. I've never rooted against the Braves, but this line of thinking makes it real hard not to. AA needs a reality check if he thinks this club is anywhere close to contending, especially as NY gets healthy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I wouldn't worry. We'll get an OF that's competent to replace our incompetents. May get a reliever.

My official guess is Duvall
    I agree. Duvall or Marte make a ton of sense, though I think Marte goes to the Phillies. And we get a decent to above-average arm. Truthfully, Duvall isn't great but he's a huge upgrade over what we have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Hopefully just a bluff by AA. If the Mets take the the next 3, that would put us 8 games back. I've never rooted against the Braves, but this line of thinking makes it real hard not to. AA needs a reality check if he thinks this club is anywhere close to contending, especially as NY gets healthy.
    Agreed. That's why it was so important to get swept yesterday because we have pitching matchup advantages the next three days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Agreed. That's why it was so important to get swept yesterday because we have pitching matchup advantages the next three days.
    Jeez. Why wouldn't you pull for us to sweep yesterday, which we almost did?

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    I know we are not playing great but if we add someone for the top of the lineup. Example Trea Turner then you can move Pederson behind Riley and once D’Arnaud comeback we can have a very good lineup.

Turner/ Merrifield
    Albies
    Freeman
    Riley
    Pederson
    D’Arnaud
    Swanson
    Heredia

Last 3 games of the season is against the Mets @ Atl

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Jeez. Why wouldn't you pull for us to sweep yesterday, which we almost did?
    Well, do you have any confidence in this team winning anything meaningful this year?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Well, do you have any confidence in this team winning anything meaningful this year?
    Not really, but who knows if we add a competent LF, TDA, Anderson, and ynoa back. In no way would I sell the farm, but if we win 2 of the next 3, I'd get a competent LF at the least

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    We are going to do nothing. Finish around .500. Then watch the pieces we could have traded walk. Book it.
    Coppy

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts
    I hope it's a bluff.

I don't think Braves fans would be happy to see the team keep Morton/Smyly/Martin and only upgrade by getting a 4th OF type. If AA is buying, then the majority of pieces bought need to be controlled through next year at least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    The whole buying narrative really seems to be to keep the fans engaged and showing up. No other explanation. I highly doubt we trade for anything of significance, it's all talk.

That being said, I really don't expect us to get anything of significance in return for Smyly (doesn't have much value, considering he's still owed $4mm the rest of the year) and Morton (who will probably refuse to be traded) anyway, so it's whatever.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    For Morton, we should be targeting at minimum, two 45 FV prospects, and a lottery ticket 40 FV type. I don't think fangraphs has updated in awhile so I don't know exactly what these guys should be rated as, but I would think Davidson, Shewmake, and Tyler Owens would be a return to match that. Maybe I'm overrating Shewmake here, so maybe swap out Michael Harris if he isn't viewed as a 50 FV guy yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Not really, but who knows if we add a competent LF, TDA, Anderson, and ynoa back. In no way would I sell the farm, but if we win 2 of the next 3, I'd get a competent LF at the least
    Right, I don't have any confidence either. So if a few meaningless wins is truly going to impact AA's decision making right before the deadline, then yeah, losing is the best thing to happen for the entire franchise and gain future assets during a wasted season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    For Morton, we should be targeting at minimum, two 45 FV prospects, and a lottery ticket 40 FV type. I don't think fangraphs has updated in awhile so I don't know exactly what these guys should be rated as, but I would think Davidson, Shewmake, and Tyler Owens would be a return to match that. Maybe I'm overrating Shewmake here, so maybe swap out Michael Harris if he isn't viewed as a 50 FV guy yet.
    The only way I see us getting that much from Morton is if we agree to cover the remainder of his salary this year. He's still owed $5 million over the last 2 months. Might not seem like a huge amount, but not all teams can take on the salary.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    I have no idea. Fangraphs mocked up a Scherzer to Houston deal for two 50s and a 40+. Scherzer is more valuable than Morton, but that's a solid place to start. So maybe a 50 and a 40+ lottery ticket? That would be Langeliers and one of Davidson/Shewmake/Strider/Tarnok.
    Surely Strider is better than a 40 grade prospect by now? I know it's been a half a season, but he is throwing harder than what he was when he was drafted and is completely dominating at multiple levels.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    I would imagine it'd be more likely we get the quality return some of you are expecting if Scherzer goes to the Dodgers and the Padres are desperate to keep up. Maybe vice versa. Also, for those saying it, I think there's zero chance Morton vetoes a trade to join a World Series contender for a couple months when he's a free agent at the end of the year.