Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Christie

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    Okay kettle, let's see what we have here.

1. Condescension? Check.

2. "My guy's scandals are "scandals""? Check.

Now, have a good evening and get off my lawn.
    Condescension and ideological blinders? Add a persecution complex and a recent propensity for avid interest in the mote in thy brother's eye, and you're got yourself a stew going.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Condescension and ideological blinders? Add a persecution complex and a recent propensity for avid interest in the mote in thy brother's eye, and you're got yourself a stew going.

Yeah, and that log sticking out of my eye can do some damage. :-)

Still, get off my lawn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    This has absolutely nothing to do with Obama or sides or teams or whatever it is Bedell is rambling on about.
    Created this thread to talk about politics and the supposed demise of the presumptive (R) presidential candidate.
    Nothing to do wth Benghazi or the IRS or the merits or demerits of the 2 party system. Or for that matter the quality of life in New Jersey. But the reality of hard scrapple presidential politics.

To win Christie some sympathy on the right, defenders such as former Mississippi governor Haley Barbour quickly deployed the GOP’s first-responder technique of attacking “the liberal media.” But liberals are the least of Christie’s problems.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...wpmk=MK0000203
    Last edited by 57Brave; 01-12-2014 at 10:41 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    I like pizza. I hate that the Panthers lost. Go Braves!

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    I like pizza. I hate that the Panthers lost. Go Braves!
    i almost "thanked" this

i like pizza, i love the braves

the problem is i was glad the panthers lost

:riseup:

:cheers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I think the only good news for Christie is that this happened at a time when nobody is thinking about politics. It might be forgotten by the time the primary season begins. People in New Jersey and New York may still be ticked, but it's not like he's going to win those states anyway. After a while almost every scandal is forgotten. Nobody talks about the IRS scandal anymore and even the NSA scandal is largely forgotten about these days despite Snowden showing his ugly mug every couple of months. And those two were obviously much worse than this.

Honestly though, if he's going to run for president he needs to get better at shielding himself from these scandals. He needs to learn some lessons from Obama, G-Dub and the Clintons.

Actually, I can see Christie using this scandal for his benefit by making it seem like the left is purposely targeting him, especially with the news today about the feds going after him for Sandy Aid. Try to get the right back on his side by playing the victim. Just so as he still appears strong while playing the victim.

Obviously if the scandal leads directly to him then all bets are off though.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I agree with Dionne his problems won't come from the left but from lack of support / friends on the right.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,466 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    I think the only good news for Christie is that this happened at a time when nobody is thinking about politics. It might be forgotten by the time the primary season begins. People in New Jersey and New York may still be ticked, but it's not like he's going to win those states anyway. After a while almost every scandal is forgotten. Nobody talks about the IRS scandal anymore and even the NSA scandal is largely forgotten about these days despite Snowden showing his ugly mug every couple of months. And those two were obviously much worse than this.

Honestly though, if he's going to run for president he needs to get better at shielding himself from these scandals. He needs to learn some lessons from Obama, G-Dub and the Clintons.

Actually, I can see Christie using this scandal for his benefit by making it seem like the left is purposely targeting him, especially with the news today about the feds going after him for Sandy Aid. Try to get the right back on his side by playing the victim. Just so as he still appears strong while playing the victim.

Obviously if the scandal leads directly to him then all bets are off though.
    Maybe he can, but the probe is legit and Christie wasting potentially millions in aid to NJ will reflect poorly.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Yeah, and that log sticking out of my eye can do some damage. :-)

Still, get off my lawn.
    Uh, that lawn, you didn't build that.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (01-13-2014)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Interesting allegations by the mayor of Hoboken...

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Interesting allegations by the mayor of Hoboken...
    Saw that in the NY Times. I don't know the state/local relationship in New Jersey and we're not as pure as we like to think we are out here in the Upper Midwest, but I can't recall any animosity of this type (there has been animosity between various Governors and locally-elected officials) in Minnesota.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Saw that in the NY Times. I don't know the state/local relationship in New Jersey and we're not as pure as we like to think we are out here in the Upper Midwest, but I can't recall any animosity of this type (there has been animosity between various Governors and locally-elected officials) in Minnesota.
    I hate to be 'that guy' who brings party politics into this, but I do find it worthy of note that both Mayors Zimmer (Hoboken) and Sokolich (Fort Lee) are Democrats.

Giuliani was on 'Meet the Press' rambling about these attacks being orchestrated by the Clinton camp (say what you will about the Clintons, but they do play some ball) -- Christie's numbers have taken a nose dive in head-to-heads with Hillary this past week.

If this crooked real estate/Sandy business turns out to be true I would suspect Jeb's phone might start ringing ... off the hook. As a political junkie, the prospect of Bush running for President makes me salivate.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,759 Posts
    I hate to be 'that guy' who brings party politics into this, but I do find it worthy of note that both Mayors Zimmer (Hoboken) and Sokolich (Fort Lee) are Democrats.

Giuliani was on 'Meet the Press' rambling about these attacks being orchestrated by the Clinton camp (say what you will about the Clintons, but they do play some ball) -- Christie's numbers have taken a nose dive in head-to-heads with Hillary this past week.

If this crooked real estate/Sandy business turns out to be true I would suspect Jeb's phone might start ringing ... off the hook. As a political junkie, the prospect of Bush running for President makes me salivate.
    Doesn't that make you cringe as a conservative though? No way Jeb would get elected just because his last name.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

1) When talking about Chris Christie how does one not invoke party politics (or pizza) ?

2) Never crossed my mind about the Clintons. My guess is the people that encouraged this have something to do with the Libertarian Wing of(R). Afterall, it was Christies "people" that left the email trail . To your point, guessing Bill or Hill have not been on the phone with MSNBC to quiet the noise.
    Both Mayors have enthusiastically supported CC in the past.

3) Read yesterday Christies 2016 fund raising has dried up. Jeb's family is against him running and I agree with Sav - he doesn't have a clear path.
    Rand Paul? He is the one with the most to gain through all of this besides there is no love lost twixt Paul and Christie. My memory tells me their falling out was over Sandy Funds. Thi will be interesting to read about in 10-15 years

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts

I don't think you bringing that in is wrong at all. What the mayors are saying may be true, but it should also be filed as "kick the guy when he's down." Christie himself said in his press conference that "politics ain't bean bag." Both sides do it and I'm sure the professional Dems are combing the hustings for anyone in New Jersey who has had an uncomfortable run-in with Christie and putting them in front of a microphone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The larger point is, Hoboken received 1% Sandy Relief money requested. This morning I heard there was a town up river that received the same amount but suffered nowhere near the hardship. According to Mayor Zimmer Hoboken received a back up generator.
    The money was disbursed by the Governors office. Fairly or not - you decide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Both sides do it and I'm sure the professional Dems are combing the hustings for anyone in New Jersey who has had an uncomfortable run-in with Christie and putting them in front of a microphone.
    The justice system and the third estate are combing the hustings for (D) . Over 20 subpoenas sent out this past Friday alone - and investigative reporters by the bus loads
    ///////////////

Christie might survive this, might be clean as a whistle. But the time,stigma and resources lost pretty much kill his national ambitions for at least 10 years.
    Last edited by 57Brave; 01-20-2014 at 05:08 PM.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    Doesn't that make you cringe as a conservative though? No way Jeb would get elected just because his last name.
    Unfortunately, neither the contemporary Republican party or any of the candidates they are touting for 2016 align much at all with my particular (peculiar) breed of conservatism.

Why do you think Jebby would make a mainstream conservative cringe, though?

Guy did everything right as Governor of Florida ... hits hard at some traditional Democratic strong-holds, especially their advantage with hispanic voters.

- Fortified stance on immigration.
    - An education policy that's not half bad.
    - Thought-worthy ideas on restructuring the economy.

Bush has spent the past 8 years sharpening his spears. If he wants to run, he'll be the nominee.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    - An education policy that's not half bad.
    You obviously aren't from, and/or weren't educated in, Florida.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    You obviously aren't from, and/or weren't educated in, Florida.
    You mustn't have known that I grew up in South Carolina.