Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The absolute worst take I’ve seen on MLB in a minute.

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

The absolute worst take I’ve seen on MLB in a minute.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1407...3433388086086/

I can’t believe this is even a real clip aired on live tv. Some of the biggest stars in baseball need a translator; but that’s what makes baseball special. No matter where you come from you can succeed.
    Last edited by Allstar34bd; 07-12-2021 at 01:31 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Allstar34bd For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-12-2021)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,371 Posts
    Does smith speak English? Seems he just slowly yells random words. Seems hypocritical to me.
    Coppy

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts
    Lol Stephen A is a joke. Nobody should care what he or espn think about baseball. It's a dying brand.

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Japan isn’t a country you want to frustrate when it comes to viewership. They have a huge fan base and to disrespect anyone like this will affect their #’s for sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,526 Posts
    Seems like Ohtani gives MLB tons of international viewership, and doesn’t affect American viewership in a negative way. Americans love new, next big things. And that’s Ohtani. Plus, his homeland is where baseball is most popular. Him being the face and such a star is the best possible outcome for MLB.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-12-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Seems like Ohtani gives MLB tons of international viewership, and doesn’t affect American viewership in a negative way. Americans love new, next big things. And that’s Ohtani. Plus, his homeland is where baseball is most popular. Him being the face and such a star is the best possible outcome for MLB.
    This is the same guy who said women deserve to be hit sometimes. It's truly amazing he still has a job.

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    This is the same guy who said women deserve to be hit sometimes. It's truly amazing he still has a job.
    And one that pays $10M on top of it. I don't get why people like him - he just yells a lot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I'm not a fan of Smith and haven't watched ESPN in years, but his original comments were obviously correct.

Anyone who has spent any amount of time speaking to someone through an interpreter knows the sensation that you're conversing with the interpreter and not the other person. Anyone who has spent time in a group or a country where you don't speak the language knows it's easier to connect with the few people who do speak your language.

This is obvious stuff, and the fact that his remarks were controversial says something bad about our hypersensitive society, not his remarks.
    Last edited by Jaw; 07-13-2021 at 07:32 AM.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    And one that pays $10M on top of it. I don't get why people like him - he just yells a lot
    Mad Dog Russo has obviously perfected this.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    Loved or hated is the goal. Indifference is the losing outcome.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    The guy has a lifelong pass to say whatever he wants and never faces any real consequences.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,371 Posts
    I hate people who apologize and then throw poor me BS to use victim status. Saying as a black man who has this happen to him all the time is a weak apology.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    **** stephen smith. dude is a hack who has made a living on yelling hot takes. he and skip bayless are one in the same. i stopped watching espn mainly because of those two.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I'm not a fan of Smith and haven't watched ESPN in years, but his original comments were obviously correct.

Anyone who has spent any amount of time speaking to someone through an interpreter knows the sensation that you're conversing with the interpreter and not the other person. Anyone who has spent time in a group or a country where you don't speak the language knows it's easier to connect with the few people who do speak your language.

This is obvious stuff, and the fact that his remarks were controversial says something bad about our hypersensitive society, not his remarks.

Except that is isn't obvious. As stated, the popularity of baseball exists far outside the reaches of the US. Seems like having a Japanese superstar only stands increase the popularity of the MLB.

And isn't like language barriers haven't existed among some of baseball other elite talents in the past (and now). Acuna is one of the most popular players in the game and speaks through an interpreter.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts

Except that is isn't obvious. As stated, the popularity of baseball exists far outside the reaches of the US. Seems like having a Japanese superstar only stands increase the popularity of the MLB.

And isn't like language barriers haven't existed among some of baseball other elite talents in the past (and now). Acuna is one of the most popular players in the game and speaks through an interpreter.

His remarks were not only off-base, but they are insulting.

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts

I just think it’s funny that woke ass ESPN can be racist against Asians and nobody gives a F.

Espn is trash.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyTrain For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (07-13-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post

His remarks were not only off-base, but they are insulting.
    "When you talk about an audience gravitating to the tube or to the ballpark to actually watch you, I don’t think it helps that the No. 1 face is a dude that needs an interpreter so you can understand what the hell he is saying — in this country. And that’s what I’m trying to say.”

“In other sports like basketball, you notice, Dirk Nowitzki was German and Manu Ginobili and others were from other places, and guess what Max? They spoke fluent English. You understood what they were saying when somebody was interviewing them. They didn’t need an interpreter. It goes a long way. For some reason with Major League Baseball, you’ve got these guys that need those interpreters and I think that compromises the ability for them to ingratiate themselves with the American public, which is what we’re really talking about.”

He was clearly speaking to the domestic popularity of MLB.

Later, he tried to make it more clear:

“A lot of them need translators. You know, Spanish, it can be Mandarin, Japanese, the list goes on and on and on. If you are trying to ingratiate yourself with the American public the way Major League Baseball is because of the problems that you’re having to deal with in terms of approving the attractiveness of the sport, it helps you spoke the English language.
    But in the United States, all I was saying is that when you’re a superstar, if you can speak the English language, then guess what, that’s gonna make it that much easier and less challenging to promote the sport.
    Last edited by Jaw; 07-13-2021 at 11:57 AM.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    I just think it’s funny that woke ass ESPN can be racist against Asians and nobody gives a F.

Espn is trash.
    Chink in the armor headline.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Chink in the armor headline.
    Ohtani is Japanese.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (07-13-2021), thewupk (07-13-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Just to throw a little gas on the discussion...

Acuna needs an interpreter - baseball and the Braves should stop marketing him too. Unamerican hacks.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?