Columbia 7, Augusta 5

LP: Estes (1-5) 5.1 IP, 8 H, 4 ER, 0 BB, 10 K
    Bryant 2.2 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 1 K

DeHoyos 1-3, 2B, R, 3 RBI
    Carter 2-4, R
    Horne 2-5, R

ROOKIE COMPLEX

Braves idle
    Last edited by rico43; 07-21-2021 at 10:51 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (07-21-2021), Jaw (07-23-2021), jpx7 (07-21-2021), UNCBlue012 (07-21-2021)

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Dueling doubleheaders in Atlanta today. OD of baseball. A week ago, Muller and Wilson combined to win a game for Gwinnett. Today each starts for Atlanta.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (07-23-2021)

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    I gotta say, by the 214th day of July I'm really ready for the month to end.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    619 Posts
    Excited to see what Vodnik does tonight

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,323 Posts
    Contreras keeps hitting.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts
    Pache could get about 20 pounds of muscle on him and be a home run hitter!

/s

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Estes thru 3 with 7 Ks. Kid is dealing.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,323 Posts
    Langeliers is making much better contact but the home runs have dried up.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    Contreras keeps hitting.
    Hitting isn't Contreras' problem.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    Pache could get about 20 pounds of muscle on him and be a home run hitter!

/s
    Pretty sure everyone involved with the organization would be absolutely thrilled if he could simply reach base 30% of the time considering what he offers on defense - the number of HRs he hit would be entirely inconsequential.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    Contreras keeps hitting.
    Contreras can hit. I know he had a slump for the month before he went down, but the defense is really what they were concerned about, I'm certain.

I think Contreras will be a long term .775-.800 ML hitter. Maybe a little more. But even that kind of bat can't suffer the defensive lapses he had.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Contreras can hit. I know he had a slump for the month before he went down, but the defense is really what they were concerned about, I'm certain.

I think Contreras will be a long term .775-.800 ML hitter. Maybe a little more. But even that kind of bat can't suffer the defensive lapses he had.
    Considering how athletic he is, it wouldn't be the craziest thing for them to start getting him reps all over the place. He had logged ABs at 3B and in LF IIRC before every close to MLB ready Catcher went down and they had no choice other than to use him behind the plate every day for a while. With Langeliers looking like he's coming fast, Contreras could become one of those really valuable Swiss Army Knife types of players if they re-sign d'Arnaud or bring in someone else on a reasonable deal this winter. He could be the RH half of a DH platoon assuming it returns, could play 1B 6-8 times a year against lefties to give Freddie a break since he's going to need them more often as he gets older, could play LF some days against them if Waters or Pederson is the LF in 2022, could give Riley a break every so often, and would give you a legitimate RH pinch-hitting threat AND freedom from worrying about pinch-hitting for the Catcher since you'd (in essence) be carrying 3 of them.

Use him a lot like the Twins use Astudillo.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Considering how athletic he is, it wouldn't be the craziest thing for them to start getting him reps all over the place. He had logged ABs at 3B and in LF IIRC before every close to MLB ready Catcher went down and they had no choice other than to use him behind the plate every day for a while. With Langeliers looking like he's coming fast, Contreras could become one of those really valuable Swiss Army Knife types of players if they re-sign d'Arnaud or bring in someone else on a reasonable deal this winter. He could be the RH half of a DH platoon assuming it returns, could play 1B 6-8 times a year against lefties to give Freddie a break since he's going to need them more often as he gets older, could play LF some days against them if Waters or Pederson is the LF in 2022, could give Riley a break every so often, and would give you a legitimate RH pinch-hitting threat AND freedom from worrying about pinch-hitting for the Catcher since you'd (in essence) be carrying 3 of them.

Use him a lot like the Twins use Astudillo.
    I get your gist, but I think Contreras will be a much better player than El Tortuga. I would be reluctant to start moving Contreras around the diamond too much at this point in his career. Let's see if he can get a better grasp behind the plate. The framing has to improve as does his pitch blocking. Those are skills that need to be honed. I don't think catchers are natural pitch framers.

I do think Contreras will hit and with the DH coming, Braves could conceivably rotate players through the DH position instead of having a single DH. If the Braves fall out of contention, Contreras should be catching almost every game in September.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    If everyone is convinced that Contreras will hit then figure out the best way to use him going forward long term. Dont let him go to wasteland trying to catch if he is better suited somewhere else. Remember this guy named Dale Murphy?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I get your gist, but I think Contreras will be a much better player than El Tortuga. I would be reluctant to start moving Contreras around the diamond too much at this point in his career. Let's see if he can get a better grasp behind the plate. The framing has to improve as does his pitch blocking. Those are skills that need to be honed. I don't think catchers are natural pitch framers.

I do think Contreras will hit and with the DH coming, Braves could conceivably rotate players through the DH position instead of having a single DH. If the Braves fall out of contention, Contreras should be catching almost every game in September.
    No doubt in my mind - just pointing out that moving him around would create tons of flexibility IF you have Langeliers and a veteran that can hit AND handle a staff on a reasonable 1 or 2 year deal. It's fun to dream on the Giants passing on Posey's option and imagining he'd like to "come home" to wrap things up, but they're going to have a ton of money available this winter, so paying him so he goes out as a Giant isn't likely going to be an issue for them.