Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: GDT 8/22/21: Braves @ Orioles - Contreras in the lineup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Toussaint showing a lot of promise as a solid back-of-rotation option going forward.
    One of the most pleasant and unexpected surprises of this season! Him and Riley

2. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-23-2021)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworm View Post
    Ya I really want to see Touki given a chance at the 5 spot next season.
    He was great for us this season and really helped save us when injuries hit.
    Hopefully the Smyly experience is over after the year and we let Touki take his spot
    I've been fine with the Smyly signing since it happened, and I think he's generally performed better this season than he's been given credit for, at least around here.

Nonetheless, it'd be nice to allocate that $11m elsewhere next season, even if it's simply from the back-of-rotation to the front. For instance: I think we all hope Morton will be open to re-signing on another short-term deal; it'd be nice if somebody like Zack Greinke wanted to join him. Verlander probably lands back in Houston, but he'll also be a free-agent looking to bounce-back; ditto Syndergaard. Who knows what Scherzer will do. Et cetera.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I have a feeling the team won't pick up his club option for 2023
    Probably not but relief pitchers are so volatile. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him have a great year next year that forces a decision.

The first half of the year he was genuinely great and was worth his salary.

I don’t fully understand his usage, but I think Snit is doing the right thing with showing full confidence in him to help him work through this funk. We need the Smith from June for the playoffs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    I really hope d'Arnaud is back in the lineup tomorrow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Probably not but relief pitchers are so volatile. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him have a great year next year that forces a decision.

The first half of the year he was genuinely great and was worth his salary.

I don’t fully understand his usage, but I think Snit is doing the right thing with showing full confidence in him to help him work through this funk. We need the Smith from June for the playoffs.
    Snit is also protecting the other relievers by not putting them in that role. If he were as panicky as so many want him to be and quick to give up on Smith, he could completely destroy the bullpen cohesion within 2 weeks. Say he uses Martin and Martin has a bad outing. It happens. or Rodriquez and he has bad luck, though Rodriguez has proven he can handle it. It's a hard role and not everybody can do it. This way, it's all on Smith's shoulders until he shows he just can't do it anymore. His ERA isn't great but he's 28/32 in SO. Rodriguez is only 14/17.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworm View Post
    Ya I really want to see Touki given a chance at the 5 spot next season.
    He was great for us this season and really helped save us when injuries hit.
    Hopefully the Smyly experience is over after the year and we let Touki take his spot
    Smyly's been better since his disastrous start, but his cost will likely exceed $10 MM and it may take a multi-year deal to get him this time around. Finances look better than they did a year ago, but are they going to need that $10 MM-plus elsewhere?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-23-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I've been fine with the Smyly signing since it happened, and I think he's generally performed better this season than he's been given credit for, at least around here.

Nonetheless, it'd be nice to allocate that $11m elsewhere next season, even if it's simply from the back-of-rotation to the front. For instance: I think we all hope Morton will be open to re-signing on another short-term deal; it'd be nice if somebody like Zack Greinke wanted to join him. Verlander probably lands back in Houston, but he'll also be a free-agent looking to bounce-back; ditto Syndergaard. Who knows what Scherzer will do. Et cetera.
    I think we just resign Morton and let smyly walk.

Add soroka and touki to rotation.

Championship!
    Natural Immunity Croc

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I think we just resign Morton and let smyly walk.

Add soroka and touki to rotation.

Championship!
    May not be Smyly himself but the Braves will sign someone else like him to fill a spot next year. Soroka can't really be counted on right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    May not be Smyly himself but the Braves will sign someone else like him to fill a spot next year. Soroka can't really be counted on right now.
    I don't think they'll bank on him but I don't see AA giving another back endish guy 10+ million next offseason.

We have quite a few options that would perform at worst replacement level for basically free.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    If we re-sign Morton, you'd have Morton/Fried/Anderson/Ynoa/Touki with guys like Davidson, Wright, Muller, with Soroka ready sometime in June/July. I dont know if using 10+ mil on a starter is even necessary.

Try to add a stud bullpen piece with the savings. Also depends what we do with the Duvall/Joc options (i'd pick them up probably since it's TBD if Ronald's ready on opening day and Ozuna's situation as well).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-23-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    If we re-sign Morton, you'd have Morton/Fried/Anderson/Ynoa/Touki with guys like Davidson, Wright, Muller, with Soroka ready sometime in June/July. I dont know if using 10+ mil on a starter is even necessary.

Try to add a stud bullpen piece with the savings. Also depends what we do with the Duvall/Joc options (i'd pick them up probably since it's TBD if Ronald's ready on opening day and Ozuna's situation as well).
    Agreed that the Pen is definitely an area to address this offseason. After the Freeman EXTENTion of course.

Smith cannot be our closer going forward.
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Agreed that the Pen is definitely an area to address this offseason. After the Freeman EXTENTion of course.

Smith cannot be our closer going forward.
    Do the White Sox pay both Hendricks and Kimbrel next year?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts

Isn't that the same exact scenario we have had this year? Haven't we still needed Smyly's 100+ innings so far?

The real truth is that you really can't count on Ynoa, Touki, Davidson, Wright, Muller, or Soroka for various reasons. Some have injury concerns and others have may be dog **** concerns.

I'd be surprised if AA doesn't have 2 vets in the rotation making real money next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Isn't that the same exact scenario we have had this year? Haven't we still needed Smyly's 100+ innings so far?

The real truth is that you really can't count on Ynoa, Touki, Davidson, Wright, Muller, or Soroka for various reasons. Some have injury concerns and others have may be dog **** concerns.

I'd be surprised if AA doesn't have 2 vets in the rotation making real money next year.
    Bumgarner......
    Natural Immunity Croc

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Bumgarner......
    No
    Coppy

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts

I have always liked Pederson, but I can't see him back at $10 MM. Duvall's option (also mutual) is for $7 MM with a $3 MM buyout. It's pretty obvious that Snitker views Duvall as an everyday player, so I'm guessing he's back. I think they are going to have to find a legitimate CF option or else everything falls onto Pache and Waters being able to take the next step. Pache or Waters may be ready, but I don't think anyone here wants to see Heredia back out there in 2022. I frankly don't know who would fit that option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    No
    Yes
    Natural Immunity Croc

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    Like others. I really want to spend on the pen if we can. Not go over board but add 2 solid late inning guys so we can run 5 inning starts without blowing up the pen. Guys who can run multiple innings too.

But yes. Even with Morton we need another vet to cover innings.
    Coppy

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts

I think Morton's back if he doesnt retire, but i dont know if you need to spend 10+ mil on 2 starters each. Maybe you add a vet but doesnt need to be for 11 mil. We have plenty of cheap options we can run out there. Adding a couple bullpen pieces as well as giving Freeman his extension is a bit more important.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I have always liked Pederson, but I can't see him back at $10 MM. Duvall's option (also mutual) is for $7 MM with a $3 MM buyout. It's pretty obvious that Snitker views Duvall as an everyday player, so I'm guessing he's back. I think they are going to have to find a legitimate CF option or else everything falls onto Pache and Waters being able to take the next step. Pache or Waters may be ready, but I don't think anyone here wants to see Heredia back out there in 2022. I frankly don't know who would fit that option.
    Given Ozuna's situation, i think you gotta pickup Joc's option. Duvall is probably back, and hopefully Ronald's okay for opening day. Ronald, Joc, Duvall would be a solid outfield.