Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: GDT 8/22/21: Braves @ Orioles - Contreras in the lineup

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Given Ozuna's situation, i think you gotta pickup Joc's option. Duvall is probably back, and hopefully Ronald's okay for opening day. Ronald, Joc, Duvall would be a solid outfield.
    Are you moving Acuna back to CF?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Until a reasonable option presents itself I think thats how we have to plan.
    Natural Immunity Croc

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    No
    Not just no - *ell no!!!
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Until a reasonable option presents itself I think thats how we have to plan.
    I think that would be the wrong way to go, but I'm not in charge. It would be different if both the guys flanking Acuna would be top-drawer defenders. Duvall is. The rest of the guys aren't even close to that. We don't know how Acuna will be affected post-recovery, but I wouldn't bank on him being an above-average CF.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Unless Pache can prove he's a MLB ready hitter, yeah probably.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I think that would be the wrong way to go, but I'm not in charge. It would be different if both the guys flanking Acuna would be top-drawer defenders. Duvall is. The rest of the guys aren't even close to that. We don't know how Acuna will be affected post-recovery, but I wouldn't bank on him being an above-average CF.
    Post recovery is a solid argument.

I'd prefer Acuna in RF but not if we are putting up a zero hitter.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Everything depends on Freddie. Can you, will you resign him? Until he is firmly aboard and penciled in, nothing is certain, everything is possible. FWIW, Im still not convinced he will be brought back.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Post recovery is a solid argument.

I'd prefer Acuna in RF but not if we are putting up a zero hitter.
    If there is a question mark going forward, it's CF. I think a rotation and bullpen can be constructed from existing parts and reasonable retentions and acquisitions. The DH (provided it's approved) would allow us to carry a defensive-centric CF, which is what I think they hoped Pache would provide with at a least a mid-.600 OPS. We need to have at least that out of the position offensively and it's where Heredia is heading without the plus defense.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Everything depends on Freddie. Can you, will you resign him? Until he is firmly aboard and penciled in, nothing is certain, everything is possible. FWIW, Im still not convinced he will be brought back.
    Would be quite surprised if they dont get something done with Freddie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    If there is a question mark going forward, it's CF. I think a rotation and bullpen can be constructed from existing parts and reasonable retentions and acquisitions. The DH (provided it's approved) would allow us to carry a defensive-centric CF, which is what I think they hoped Pache would provide with at a least a mid-.600 OPS. We need to have at least that out of the position offensively and it's where Heredia is heading without the plus defense.
    The DH would certainly help things.

Can Pham fake it in center field at all anymore? Defensive figures look bad this year.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Would be quite surprised if they dont get something done with Freddie.
    There is absolutely no reason that Freddie hasnt been resigned if that was Freddie wish at reasonable money or AAs wish at reasonable money. It would have been easier to replace TDA than FF but you see how that has gone to date.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    There is absolutely no reason that Freddie hasnt been resigned if that was Freddie wish at reasonable money or AAs wish at reasonable money. It would have been easier to replace TDA than FF but you see how that has gone to date.
    It was also easier to sign TDA than FF. And DOB said the team didnt know what kinda funds they'd have (which look way better than expected), but he still thinks they get something done with Freddie. I thought we'd have signed him by OD too but AA would look like an idiot to let him walk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Are you wanting to argue? #1 TDA is slightly more than league average plus injury prone. #2 Just how much money do you think FF and agent are looking for. Notice I said think. Do you think AA has or does not have enough money to sign FF? #3 Furman Bisher has been gone for years and since then no reporter, including Shanks and DOB (who btw, is no longer a reporter) has had access to Braves FO. #4 The one point of your concensus that I agree to is that AA should have almost unreasonable amount of money this off season to build almost any kind of contended he wishes.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    TDA is about the 9th best hitting catcher over last three seasons and a better than average framer so not sure it's accurate to say barely above league average for a catcher.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    TDA is about the 9th best hitting catcher over last three seasons and a better than average framer so not sure it's accurate to say barely above league average for a catcher.
    Everybody loves somebody .....for a reason

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Everyone wanting to throw money at the bullpen: You do realize that we have to replace Ozuna AND get a decent bat for DH, right? That’s a lot of money right there.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I think come playoff time (if we make it in) we are going to see very clearly what we need next year and I have am pretty sure it will involve a few pen pieces and a lobotomy for Twit with a new robot brain to let him know save percentage is not an accurate means to grade a closer.
    Coppy

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Are you wanting to argue? #1 TDA is slightly more than league average plus injury prone. #2 Just how much money do you think FF and agent are looking for. Notice I said think. Do you think AA has or does not have enough money to sign FF? #3 Furman Bisher has been gone for years and since then no reporter, including Shanks and DOB (who btw, is no longer a reporter) has had access to Braves FO. #4 The one point of your concensus that I agree to is that AA should have almost unreasonable amount of money this off season to build almost any kind of contended he wishes.
    1- TDA is a top 7-10 catcher, maybe higher and he's on a good contract.
    2- I have no idea how much he wants but FF doesnt seem like the type to hold the team hostage. But if he does, no idea who the team would replace him with.
    3- AA doesnt leak anything, not many reporters have access to what he's doing. Once moves are official, the team reports them pretty much. So yeah.
    4- I dont think we'll have unreasonable, depends on Freeman's contract and what happens with Ozuna, and Joc/Duvall options.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    1- TDA is a top 7-10 catcher, maybe higher and he's on a good contract.
    2- I have no idea how much he wants but FF doesnt seem like the type to hold the team hostage. But if he does, no idea who the team would replace him with.
    3- AA doesnt leak anything, not many reporters have access to what he's doing. Once moves are official, the team reports them pretty much. So yeah.
    4- I dont think we'll have unreasonable, depends on Freeman's contract and what happens with Ozuna, and Joc/Duvall options.
    2. How about Riley at 1b and Bryant at 3b?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Well, the last month should prove that Freddie is the straw that stirs the drink in ATL. There are not many that could lose a RAJ and actually get better and deeper because of the responding moves. They didn't lose their best player when RAJ got hurt. Freddie is their best player. l cannot see him demanding to break the bank nor can I see the team repeating the Glavine mistake.