Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I’ll do it so we have a place to gripe and complain…GDT 1 Sept 21 @ Dodgers

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsebe10 View Post
    Don’t forget they added Snitker too…you know…starting Rosario vs Urias and sitting Duvall…this sitting Rosario vs Buehler and starting Duvall…

Then the blunder tonight. He literally has cost this team easily 2 games this series. There was no reason to take out Matzek.
    Well Snit has been blowing games all season. This is nothing new.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Just a quick reminder that the Braves losses to three REALLY good teams were by 4, 1, 5, 2, 1 and 1 runs. It happens. They need to take care of business moving forward but panicking after *close* losses to elite teams isn’t it.

Maybe the Phillies take over first, but they’re a ****ty team. The Braves need to just keep grinding, they’ll win the division.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Just a quick reminder that the Braves losses to three REALLY good teams were by 4, 1, 5, 2, 1 and 1 runs. It happens. They need to take care of business moving forward but panicking after *close* losses to elite teams isn’t it.

Maybe the Phillies take over first, but they’re a ****ty team. The Braves need to just keep grinding, they’ll win the division.
    Talent has carried us against the below .500 teams generally in spite of Snit's managing. The Snit looks like a genius because he was "patient" and the guys got hot and made him look like some zen master that knew what he was doing.

Bad managing is usually what costs us in close games when the margins are thin.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    I was asleep. So, let me get this straight. Snitker decided to pull Matzek for Turner despite Turner not having pronounced splits, and goes with Martin instead of Rodriguez, despite Rodriguez not having pitched in 3 days and being the superior pitcher.

That about sum it up?

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    I was asleep. So, let me get this straight. Snitker decided to pull Matzek for Turner despite Turner not having pronounced splits, and goes with Martin instead of Rodriguez, despite Rodriguez not having pitched in 3 days and being the superior pitcher.

That about sum it up?
    Rod was used for the first two outs of the seventh. Someone said something about Turner being 0-for-7 against Martin. At some point more than two guys in that pen have gotta perform in big spots. But yes, Martin is one of the last I would have wanted there.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    Rockies are 43-22 at home. Feel less than optimal about this weekend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    Rockies are 43-22 at home. Feel less than optimal about this weekend.
    On the other side, if there's a lineup that's made to thrive in Coors, it's the Braves. We also have groundball guys going in Touki, Ynoa and Anderson. I worry about Touki given his long-ball fits... but if he's on, he'll cruise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    Talent has carried us against the below .500 teams generally in spite of Snit's managing. The Snit looks like a genius because he was "patient" and the guys got hot and made him look like some zen master that knew what he was doing.

This is where not having your superstar really hurts. Even when Ronnie was "cold" this season, his seven- to 15-game slashes were .280/.350/.550. The Braves lineup is boom or bust right now... he is greatly missed. My guess is we go 4-4, 5-3 over the eight-game stretch with him. As constructed, the team is lightyears better than it was before the Trade Deadline but it's not near the Dodgers. It'll take this depth + Acuna to win against them and consistently against above-.500 squads.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post

Not defending Snit exactly, but I think the criticisms of him are outsized and misguided. For years on boards before this one, I can remember what a tactical moron Bobby was. Of course Fredi was an idiot. Fact of the matter is, every fan base since the beginning of the game has questioned the tactical decisions of their manager.

The big problem, to me, is that the performance of the bullpen has been shaky, even poor, in high leverage spots. You can point to Luke with a 2.00 ERA, but I promise you, those few runs he allowed were in high leverage situations. Last year, Minter, Greene, and Martin were money (lucky money, their babips and xwOBA against would suggest). This year, Minter's recent recovery notwithstanding, they've been awful. That's not even getting into his $13M man's gopher problem.

Snit may not be pushing the right buttons at the right time, but even if he was, the pen is not performing well. I put the thrust of the problem on that.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (09-02-2021), PawPawMaxwell (09-02-2021)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Not defending Snit exactly, but I think the criticisms of him are outsized and misguided. For years on boards before this one, I can remember what a tactical moron Bobby was. Of course Fredi was an idiot. Fact of the matter is, every fan base since the beginning of the game has questioned the tactical decisions of their manager.

The big problem, to me, is that the performance of the bullpen has been shaky, even poor, in high leverage spots. You can point to Luke with a 2.00 ERA, but I promise you, those few runs he allowed were in high leverage situations. Last year, Minter, Greene, and Martin were money (lucky money, their babips and xwOBA against would suggest). This year, Minter's recent recovery notwithstanding, they've been awful. That's not even getting into his $13M man's gopher problem.

Snit may not be pushing the right buttons at the right time, but even if he was, the pen is not performing well. I put the thrust of the problem on that.
    The big difference is that every fan base in the history of time didn't have numbers to easily prove if the decisions were correct or incorrect. Many of the decisions Snitker makes (and that Bobby made, and that Fredi made) are demonstrably bad. Other managers- unlike that Braves trio- have been more willing to move into the modern era and leverage the data available to them.

If Snit made a decision in accordance with the data available and it didn't work out, I don't think people would complain. When you make decisions based on 'gut' that often go against the data available, you're going to get criticized for being an idiot.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Matzek had just looked pretty nasty while striking out a RHH. He's been filthy against RHH all year, especially lately. Meanwhile, Chris Martin has been struggling mightily of late and has been better against LHH than RHH for his entire career. Similarly, Turner has been a better career hitter against RHP.

There is absolutely nothing about that decision that would make you say "Well, it was the right choice but it didn't work out this time." If he had left Matzek in and Turner had tied the game, so be it.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Last night got me thinking about what the pecking order of the bullpen should be right now (obviously depending slightly on handedness and who is coming up) vs. what Snit thinks it is.

My preference order: Matzek, Jackson, Rodriguez, Smith, Martin. And I'd be tempted to put Chavez above Martin right now.
    Snit's 'gut' order: Smith, Jackson, Martin, Matzek, Rodriguez.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I mean twit does more stupid things than just BP and leaving pitchers in too long. He started Rosy versus a Lefty to then sit him versus a righty. He also pinched hit for the pitcher then pulled Rosy on a double switch thus stringing more RHH all together. Twit literally makes the other managers job easier. You can’t make this up. Managers should impact maybe 10 games a season either way but twit somehow manages to exceed that. The team held their own against the dodgers just fine this series The talent is there to be better. Just our brain trust can’t compete with the other teams.
    Coppy

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    The funny thing is, Roberts has a lot of similarities to Snit. He makes some baffling decisions- especially around BP management- but they are generally more talented than the other team at almost every position and can get away with it.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McCann'sCans View Post
    The big difference is that every fan base in the history of time didn't have numbers to easily prove if the decisions were correct or incorrect. Many of the decisions Snitker makes (and that Bobby made, and that Fredi made) are demonstrably bad. Other managers- unlike that Braves trio- have been more willing to move into the modern era and leverage the data available to them.

If Snit made a decision in accordance with the data available and it didn't work out, I don't think people would complain. When you make decisions based on 'gut' that often go against the data available, you're going to get criticized for being an idiot.
    So if the macro analytics say bringing in Martin to face Turner is incorrect but the head-to-head says Martin has gotten Turner out seven straight times, 0-7, is it a clear-cut mistake?

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Bobby’s managing was a product for its time when there was very hardly any analytics management going on.

Bobby also had the X factor of being the ultimate players manager. Snit may be well liked by the clubhouse but Bobby was admired and loved.

Snitker is either one of the last remnants of managers not using analytics, or he’s the beginning of the pendulum swinging back or old school types. But I don’t really think it’s the latter.
    Forever Fredi

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McCann'sCans View Post
    The funny thing is, Roberts has a lot of similarities to Snit. He makes some baffling decisions- especially around BP management- but they are generally more talented than the other team at almost every position and can get away with it.
    I don’t follow the dodger$ much but when I do he is always making his lineups to be the most advantageous to platoon splits. He utilizes his lineup correctly IMO. He doesn’t have Acuna leading off because he can only hit in that spot for some reason. I also seen him use pen guys for more than one inning. He doesn’t have to change pitchers because it is the top of the 8th and his playbook says Martin can only pitch the 8th.
    Coppy