Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Official CBA Negotiation Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    8 team lottery seems like it would only incentives tanking. Get in the bottom 8 and you can possibly get the 1st overall pick. I would prefer a 16 team lottery and the ability to trade draft picks.
    I suspect you may be right. Changes like this almost always seem to have unintended consequences.

I still like the idea of ordering the draft such that the best non-playoff team picks first, and the worst team picks in the 20s. That would truly incentivize winning 80+ games, and no team could survive by losing 100+ games year after year because they’d be hard pressed to draft impact players.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

goldfly (01-28-2022), JohnAdcox (01-25-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    The owners still seem to desperately want expanded playoffs, due to the revenue it will generate, so I'm curious to see what concessions they give up in order to get it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-25-2022)

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Sounds like progress is being made.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Owners have just offered $615k for rookies, $650k for guys with 1+ years of service, and $700k for guys with 2+ years of service. This is getting very close to the sliding scale I suggested, and I take it as a good sign negotiations are making progress. If they settle on 650/700/750, I think that's a good spot. This will also indirectly boost arbitration salaries.

Owners have also dropped the idea of killing Super-2 eligibility, and any attempt at delaying arbitration in any way. This is also a good sign that negotiations are moving.

Owners have agreed to a centrally funded pool of money to be awarded to pre-arb players for awards, WAR totals, or whatever other metrics they cook up. They are now arguing over the size of this pool....owners want $10M, players want $105M. Yet another good sign the owners are making concessions, and this is just a number to be negotiated rather than a philosophical sticking point. More money to younger players is what the MLBPA wanted...this is now happening.

Owners are undoubtedly making these concessions so they can get expanded playoffs, which is pretty clearly their top priority. The extra revenue from those additional games will be massive, so the players would do well to squeeze as much out of the owners as possible before agreeing to more playoffs.

This is the progress made in the last 24 hours, so I am optimistic no regular season games will be missed.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 01-25-2022 at 05:51 PM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (01-25-2022), jpx7 (01-26-2022), TURBO (01-25-2022)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    If they're truly that close, it almost seems as if the two sides created some labor strife to draw offseason interest in the sport.

/tinfoil

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Owners have just offered $615k for rookies, $650k for guys with 1+ years of service, and $700k for guys with 2+ years of service. This is getting very close to the sliding scale I suggested, and I take it as a good sign negotiations are making progress. If they settle on 650/700/750, I think that's a good spot. This will also indirectly boost arbitration salaries.

Owners have also dropped the idea of killing Super-2 eligibility, and any attempt at delaying arbitration in any way. This is also a good sign that negotiations are moving.

Owners have agreed to a centrally funded pool of money to be awarded to pre-arb players for awards, WAR totals, or whatever other metrics they cook up. They are now arguing over the size of this pool....owners want $10M, players want $105M. Yet another good sign the owners are making concessions, and this is just a number to be negotiated rather than a philosophical sticking point. More money to younger players is what the MLBPA wanted...this is now happening.

Owners are undoubtedly making these concessions so they can get expanded playoffs, which is pretty clearly their top priority. The extra revenue from those additional games will be massive, so the players would do well to squeeze as much out of the owners as possible before agreeing to more playoffs.

This is the progress made in the last 24 hours, so I am optimistic no regular season games will be missed.
    Good breakdown.

Hopefully we get 2 expansion teams out of this deal, too. That'd be another large injection of cash for owners.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SJ24 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-27-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    I don't think that MLB or the players want to get to the other side of the Super Bowl with no agreement. It's a really bad look. They'd risk alienating a lot of fans that remember the 94 strike.

So I expect the agreement to be done before then. So when the Super Bowl ends, fans can turn their attention to baseball like normal. And I wouldn't be shocked if it is just before the Super Bowl. So when that ends, free agency and trades open back up to make it more exciting.
    Get off my lawn!

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    599 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ24 View Post
    Good breakdown.

Hopefully we get 2 expansion teams out of this deal, too. That'd be another large injection of cash for owners.
    Expansion teams mean 54 more players on big league rosters making big league money.....
    As long as they are not in Braves Country I’m fine with it. Put one in Montreal and one in Salt Lake City.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hulavol For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (01-27-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    Expansion teams mean 54 more players on big league rosters making big league money.....
    As long as they are not in Braves Country I’m fine with it. Put one in Montreal and one in Salt Lake City.
    What are your thoughts on Nashville?

Nashville and Montreal seem to be at the top of the list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts

Nashville is around 3-4 hours from Atlanta so I hope they don’t tbh. I feel like they’d pull attendance from Atlanta. I’d say Las Vegas is right up at the top for a team.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-27-2022)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts

If MLB adds a team or relocates one to Nashville MLB needs to give 10% or more of the franchise's annual revenue to the Braves for the next twenty years to make up for the intrusion on their market area.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    599 Posts
    Yeah- I HATE the idea of a team being in Tennessee. Or North Carolina.
    Braves Country should remain Braves Country....

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Kinda reminds me of the LA Rams situation.

NFL took team away for a decades out of LA. The Raiders and 49ers still have a bunch of fans in LA. Rams tried to cut off ticket purchases outside the Metro LA area for the championship game, but there's still a lot of 49ers fans buying tickets in LA.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Been saying it from the Jump, we are going to lose games. Owners are going to the mat.

I think they liked the shorter season lower labor costs and more playoffs

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    I know a lot of people were pissed at the players for the 94 strike. This time around, I think it is the owners who will get the brunt of the anger.

Also, owners stand to lose a ton of money if they miss regular season games.
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Coming off the covid year, I'm surprised the owners are sticking this so hard. Some of the concessions they can make on the front get them a much bigger pay day going forward. Plus, we won't miss regular season games.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

In their latest proposal, the MLBPA has reduced their ask from $105M to $100M. Needless to say that tidbit doesn't inspire confidence in this ending quickly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    ROB MANFRED
    COM, MLB

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that MLB and the Major League Players Association representatives are expected to restart discussions on core economic issues later this week or early next week.
    Heyman adds that barring something unexpected, the universal designated hitter is expected to be in place for the 2022 season. The two sides have met several times since mid-January -- including three consecutive days this week -- and still have plenty of work to get done on core economic issues before a new Collective Bargaining Agreement can be finalized. The central issues yet to be resolved include revolve major-league minimum salary, arbitration and pre-arbitration bonus pools, luxury tax thresholds, a potential draft lottery and efforts to eliminate service-time manipulation. Spring training is currently slated to get underway in mid-February, but it's looking extremely likely that it will be pushed back. Opening Day remains scheduled for March 31.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    MLB owners requesting a federal mediator come in to help sort out the dispute. Looking really bad on the owners part. And i'm more confident now that we will miss regular season games.

But these should be the mediators brought in.

Get off my lawn!