Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Official CBA Negotiation Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    8 team lottery seems like it would only incentives tanking. Get in the bottom 8 and you can possibly get the 1st overall pick. I would prefer a 16 team lottery and the ability to trade draft picks.
    I suspect you may be right. Changes like this almost always seem to have unintended consequences.

I still like the idea of ordering the draft such that the best non-playoff team picks first, and the worst team picks in the 20s. That would truly incentivize winning 80+ games, and no team could survive by losing 100+ games year after year because they’d be hard pressed to draft impact players.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (Today)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    The owners still seem to desperately want expanded playoffs, due to the revenue it will generate, so I'm curious to see what concessions they give up in order to get it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (Today)

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Sounds like progress is being made.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,100 Posts
    Owners have just offered $615k for rookies, $650k for guys with 1+ years of service, and $700k for guys with 2+ years of service. This is getting very close to the sliding scale I suggested, and I take it as a good sign negotiations are making progress. If they settle on 650/700/750, I think that's a good spot. This will also indirectly boost arbitration salaries.

Owners have also dropped the idea of killing Super-2 eligibility, and any attempt at delaying arbitration in any way. This is also a good sign that negotiations are moving.

Owners have agreed to a centrally funded pool of money to be awarded to pre-arb players for awards, WAR totals, or whatever other metrics they cook up. They are now arguing over the size of this pool....owners want $10M, players want $105M. Yet another good sign the owners are making concessions, and this is just a number to be negotiated rather than a philosophical sticking point. More money to younger players is what the MLBPA wanted...this is now happening.

Owners are undoubtedly making these concessions so they can get expanded playoffs, which is pretty clearly their top priority. The extra revenue from those additional games will be massive, so the players would do well to squeeze as much out of the owners as possible before agreeing to more playoffs.

This is the progress made in the last 24 hours, so I am optimistic no regular season games will be missed.
    Last edited by Enscheff; Today at 05:51 PM.