Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts

Freddie Freeman Appreciation Thread

Now that Olson is gonna be the one scooping up low throws from Ozzie, Austin, and Dans for a while, figured we'd have a thread to appreciate the late, great, Frederick Charles Freeman.

Forever Fredi

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

buck75 (03-16-2022), UNCBlue012 (03-16-2022)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts

Honestly thought he and Heyward would be lifers for us. Didn't see Heyward's injuries completely derailing his offensive output the way it did.

Freddie, stuck through the rebuild years during the final years of Turner Field, and opening season of Suntrust. A part of me was glad Freddie was able to be on the team the final month of Bobby's career, and the final few seasons of Chipper's.
    Forever Fredi

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Thanks for everything you did for the team and community. I wish you the best in your future endeavors Frederick!

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Also, was glad he remembered to put the final out ball in his pocket during the World Series, whereas Camargo vultured the LCS ball that fell out of Freddie's glove during the celebration.
    Forever Fredi

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Freddie, Your devotion to family and friends should be a monument to all up and coming athletes, not only baseball players. Have a pleasant and purposeful journey thru the remainder of your career and hopefully those years are many and fulfilling.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PawPawMaxwell For This Useful Post:

buck75 (03-16-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Frederick the Great will always be one of the greatest Braves.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

buck75 (03-16-2022), Runnin (03-15-2022)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Freeman is an Atlanta GOAT. He's Brian McCann, he's Dale Murphy, He's Andruw Jones. Sure he doesn't quite sit in that inner circle of Matthews and Chipper, or on the Pedestal like Hank. But he's a legend.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

11. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

buck75 (03-16-2022)

Arizona Fall Leaguer BravesBlock's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Freeman is an Atlanta GOAT. He's Brian McCann, he's Dale Murphy, He's Andruw Jones. Sure he doesn't quite sit in that inner circle of Matthews and Chipper, or on the Pedestal like Hank. But he's a legend.
    Yes he is and no one should fault him for wanting to maximize his salary. He will be fondly remembered, but him choosing to leave will take some shine off of that IDOL badge he will wear as one of our great players. Best of luck to him and his family.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BravesBlock For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (03-16-2022), The Chosen One (03-15-2022)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BravesBlock View Post
    Yes he is and no one should fault him for wanting to maximize his salary. He will be fondly remembered, but him choosing to leave will take some shine off of that IDOL badge he will wear as one of our great players. Best of luck to him and his family.
    Been arguing with twitter braves country. They're pissed that ownership isn't giving us a big bump in payroll and that we didn't overpay to keep FF.

I think any rational person here would not have minded a slight overpay to keep him, but I think we all realized AA wasn't going to get into a bidding war with LAD. So it wasn't gonna be a slight overpay.
    Forever Fredi

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    I hate that it didn’t work out. There has been a lot of uncertainty the last few years that may have interfered with getting something done. The time to negotiate a team friendly extension might have been 2 years ago but we were playing to empty stadiums and he had an MVP year ina short season which was probably tricky for valuation. Then the labor uncertainty made this off-season a little abnormal. I’m not saying we could have gotten a deal done but the last few years haven’t exactly been business as usual.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    I love you, Freddie. He will always be the face of the 2021 championship team which will transcend anything good or bad he does the rest of his career.

I am much happier his final moment as a Brave was the homerun and 27th out. The fact we replaced him on our terms allows for closure on both sides. He can now go get paid and finish his career somewhere else, but Braves fans know they got the magical years. I just hope he gets to have a great relationship with the Braves after his retirement just like Chipper, Glavine, Andruw and Murphy have.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    It wouldn't surprise me if six years from now he's closing in on retirement and we're all thrilled that our last memories of him are what they are. He did more than enough to be beloved by Braves fans forever, but it would have been really frustrating to see him languish into his mid 30s and potentially be part of derailing a contention window. Now we don't have to deal with that. We got the best of him, he gave us some great memories, and there will be nothing to tarnish that reality.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Much loved and appreciated. So many big moments. So thrilled that he had the big homer to nail down the NLDS, caught the final out of both the NLCS and World Series. And a home run in his final at bat.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    He's a Braves legend, and future HOF'er. But AA made the correct call and the fact he got Olson on a team-friendly deal is nuts. AA is so shrewd.

Prosecutor of the
    International Criminal Court

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Another thing thinking about this playoff. FF hit a go ahead homer in a clinching game of every series.

Brewers winner, Dodgers homer in first inning of game 5, Astros game 5. Didn’t end up being the winners but I’d still put money that’s gotta be a short list.

I’d say he unquestionably had the greatest ending to a Braves career in history.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to AJonesATL For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (03-16-2022)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    After many years away, I was starting to get back to following baseball in 2011. One of my first memories was his GIDP against the Phillies that ended the Braves’s season (what a horrible collapse). Having him get a Pennant and a World Championship with the Bravos was a dream end to his time here. I wish him nothing but the best!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    I hope he has a very successful latter half of his career in the American League.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    I hope the Braves don't give out #5, he deserves to have it retired in Atlanta eventually.

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McCann'sCans View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if six years from now he's closing in on retirement and we're all thrilled that our last memories of him are what they are. He did more than enough to be beloved by Braves fans forever, but it would have been really frustrating to see him languish into his mid 30s and potentially be part of derailing a contention window. Now we don't have to deal with that. We got the best of him, he gave us some great memories, and there will be nothing to tarnish that reality.
    Maybe in six years he can sign a one day contract and retire a Brave.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    I first saw Freeman play in a Rome Braves game. I had gone to see Jason Heyward but Freeman impressed me the most that night. I saw him run full speed into a wall trying to catch a foul ball. He actually ended up hurting himself and had to leave the game. I thought then that I was watching a guy who would do whatever it took to succeed and I was right. Freeman has never been a guy to give less than all he's got.

Freeman singled in his first AB with the Braves and homered in his last. The last out he recorded defensively was the one that won the World Series.

I have nothing but respect for Freeman. The contract negotiations here might not have worked out and that's okay. The fit has to be right for both sides and it's no one's fault if it's not. It just is. I wish Freeman well wherever he lands.