Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,131 Posts
    This article does a good job explaining the issue with the minimum salary:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...recent%20offer.

Due to the massive revenue growth of baseball, minimum salaries have historically increased by 15%-50%.

Then, all of a sudden for reasons only the poorly run MLBPA understands, it was allowed to increase by 5.4% in 2017 when Clark handled the negotiations and got the players silly things like travel considerations. Now as a result, the players are likely to dig in and try to make up for those terrible negotiations.

The newest proposed raise to $600k is another anemic 5% bump, and the players will rightly not stand for it.

I suspect the minimum salary will be around $700k, and if I were the players I would make sure it increases as pre-arb players accrue service time. Something like:

0-1 year = $700k
    1-2 years = $750k
    2-3 years = $800k

Then, when a player making the $800k minimum salary hits arbitration, his arbitration numbers increase as well (all Arb1 guys will be making $1M+). And that is precisely what the players want....to get more cash to younger players sooner. All achieved simply by increasing the minimum salary at a rate commensurate with pre-2017 raises, and rejecting this absurd 5% raise.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-14-2022), JohnAdcox (01-18-2022)