Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Official CBA Negotiation Thread

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    I don’t think ya’ll realize how aesthetically poor sports are without elite athletes.
    I am a season ticket holder for a major college baseball team. Also watch many AA games every year. I’m aware of what the next tier below the top level is capable of doing when competing against each other. It is every bit as entertaining. Within a year or two 95% of fans wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

If a competing league took all the current MLBPA, obviously that would be different.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Agree. There is a reason minor league teams dont have huge stadiums nor TV contracts.
    Yeah. That reason is that there is a league above them playing in all the large markets.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mad Dog Murph's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    234 Posts
    This isn’t true. Injured players are allowed to be treated at team facilities.
    Incorrect. They can not use team facilities or staff. There is an article about it where they even get a quote from Charlie Morton.

It should be noted this means injured players can not rehab at the club's facilities or with the club's athletic trainers. Charlie Morton won't be allowed to rehab his broken leg with Braves trainers and pitchers like Zack Britton, Tyler Glasnow, Spencer Turnbull, Justin Verlander, and dozens of others will have to progress through their Tommy John surgery rehab away from the club.

"Really, most players' offseasons aren't going to change because of this," Morton told The Athletic's David O'Brien earlier this month. "But for me personally, if I can't go to an affiliated site to do rehab -- like if I can't go to (the Braves spring training site) to do my rehab -- that's not going to make it impossible to do my rehab, but I'm sure the Braves would like to have hands and eyes on me. That's the way it should be. But guys that work out and rehab at team facilities with team personnel. No one's really supposed to see us, so that's going to affect guys that do work out at a team facility with team personnel, or guys that are rehabbing."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog Murph View Post
    Incorrect. They can not use team facilities or staff. There is an article about it where they even get a quote from Charlie Morton.
    For some reason I remember reading that story and DOB coming back to correct himself.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mad Dog Murph's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    234 Posts
    For some reason I remember reading that story and DOB coming back to correct himself.
    Oh ok. I read it in several different articles. Hopefully you are right.

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    It wouldn't be high school quality...it would basically be everyone in the minors jumping up a level, minus some of the guys on the 40 man and a few who refused to be scabs.
    This ignores the reality of what happened in 1994. It's not like Jason Schmidt and Andruw Jones were agreeing to be replacements. It's was really only the longshots and has-beens who crossed in the first place (e.g. Kevin Millar, one of the more successful scabs, was a NDFA in A ball), and the ones who ended up being MLB caliber™ were punished for their whole careers, thus deterring the next generation of potential scabs. The owners were like recruiting truck drivers and stuff.

I really wouldn't expect a high appetite for being a scab among any players who see any real potential in themselves. Absolutely wrong to characterize it as "everyone jumping up a level."

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Metaphysicist For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (12-05-2021), jpx7 (12-04-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    I hope the work stoppage last years thus prolonging our reign as world champions indefinitely.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Metaphysicist For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-04-2021), jpx7 (12-04-2021), The Chosen One (12-03-2021)

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    I hope the work stoppage last years thus prolonging our reign as world champions indefinitely.
    You know, a nuclear apocalypse would ensure that reign lasts forever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog Murph View Post
    Oh ok. I read it in several different articles. Hopefully you are right.
    It appears that I am not.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    This ignores the reality of what happened in 1994. It's not like Jason Schmidt and Andruw Jones were agreeing to be replacements. It's was really only the longshots and has-beens who crossed in the first place (e.g. Kevin Millar, one of the more successful scabs, was a NDFA in A ball), and the ones who ended up being MLB caliber™ were punished for their whole careers, thus deterring the next generation of potential scabs. The owners were like recruiting truck drivers and stuff.

I really wouldn't expect a high appetite for being a scab among any players who see any real potential in themselves. Absolutely wrong to characterize it as "everyone jumping up a level."
    I'm not so sure about that anymore. Back in "our day" I don't think anyone would pause for even a second before saying you're right. The problem is that I was a "young adult" (25) the last time there was a work stoppage - I'm old enough to become an AARP member today. Most young players weren't getting their feet wet until they were my age back then. This is an entirely different generation though. Not only do they do things differently, they look at them from an entirely different perspective than players did back then. Players are already getting their chance earlier than they ever have, but many still think they're having to spend too much time on the farm gaining experience and becoming more well-rounded players.

I'm just not convinced a decent-sized chunk of today's younger players wouldn't see this as the chance to speed up their timelines and the opportunity to get the money they feel they "deserve" that much quicker.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-04-2021 at 09:19 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (12-04-2021)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    599 Posts
    I wasn’t suggesting that baseball would be high school level for very long... just that this entire current group would have the option to play by the owners rules or leave. And that in about six years, we would be back to having elite talent playing in MLB as the next generation of Acunas and Sotos and such come along.
    They’d still make life changing generational wealth. Just no unions.
    It’s really simple.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Hula hints at a good point. Just how much are Latino players involved/understand the union situation. Considering the agent situation for the teens in the DR and Cuba you wonder how they stand with the MLBPA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    599 Posts
    That was exactly my point. And beyond the Latin players, Let’s say players salaries are enormously reduced - let’s say a future Freeman is only gonna get 3 million a year. Is he going to not pursue a baseball career ? Is he going to take less money and do a ****ty job like me ? I doubt it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    510 Posts
    Then they could raise ticket prices even more and just make 10x the profit. Genius!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to drewdat For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-04-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    599 Posts
    They can raise ticket prices all they want. It’s a free market. Fans can choose to pay it or not. It will correct itself naturally - supply and demand.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    The pro business slant coming from the middle class during labor negotiations always makes me chuckle. It is always followed by the spewing of misused cliches like “supply and demand”.

We’ve just witnessed how much even a small amount of collectiveness can benefit labor, and some folks are still dense enough to consider employers the heroes.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-04-2021)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    That was exactly my point. And beyond the Latin players, Let’s say players salaries are enormously reduced - let’s say a future Freeman is only gonna get 3 million a year. Is he going to not pursue a baseball career ? Is he going to take less money and do a ****ty job like me ? I doubt it.
    Why would you want the owners to keep all that extra value? How is that better than compensating the actual laboring talent?
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

23. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

zitothebrave (12-04-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    599 Posts
    Hey Scheff- I’m not trying to start an argument, and I agree that S/D is misused. But in my case- I am well versed in economics and economic theory - it applies as it is intended here.
    And I do consider the men and women who have launched major businesses and corporations to be heroes.
    To each his own.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    It’s a free market.
    It's literally not. Baseball has an antitrust exemption.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Metaphysicist For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-04-2021)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    What would another Wall St collapse and resulting depression do to MLB. None of the other sports have guaranteed contracts IIRC.