Thread: Surplus Value Calcs

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Surplus Value Calcs

For those "in the know"...

Do you typically use any of the online tools (https://www.patreon.com/vibbot or something else) or do you do your calculations on the fly?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    I usually do a half-assed WAR projection (increase it slightly into their late-20s, then decrease it slowly into their 30s), and multiply it by ~$9M. Then subtract what's owed to the player.

These values won't ever match up any more accurately than +/- 10% (when comparing to things like prospect values), so these types of guesstimates are fine, imo. They get you in the ballpark of what might be "fair".

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    ^
    Pretty much this.

I generally assume about a .5 WAR decrease per year after they turn 30. Then I multiply by 9. Only hiccups for me tend to be from estimating arby contracts. I'm not particularly well versed on that and just use a rough guesstimate based on similar players.