Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KLAW article on being wrong on Riley

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts

KLAW article on being wrong on Riley

Athletic has an interesting article from Klaw on Riley. Says he was wrong on Riley. Calls Riley a star with room to improve some in the last lines.

I thought this part was particularly interesting:
    “I think the biggest thing that I’ve learned, earlier in my career, was that I either had to pick one pitch, a fastball or an off-speed pitch, and sit on that, and hopefully I got it where I could do damage,” Riley says now, talking about his transformation. “Now I’m able to process an at-bat, understand what a pitcher is trying to do and be able to recognize spin. I know where a ball needs to start for it to be a strike. I see it in this tunnel, and I have to check off on it.”

That fits the points many of us were making that Riley looked like a guess hitter. He'd go up looking for X and if he didn't get it, then he looked horrible. Riley says he was doing just that.

There is some similar stuff in the article from other DOB articles about this hitting guru, Brumley. When can we get this guy working with Waters?

https://theathletic.com/2805938/2021...yer-keith-law/

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (09-16-2021), jpx7 (09-07-2021)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    He's certainly having a Troy Glaus type season

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I said all along that Riley excelled at every level…given time. I always thought he would be a little above average player and hoped there was a chance for even more. This has definitely been close to a “best case scenario”, and couldn’t happen at a better time with Acuna out.

Gives me hope for Pache and Waters. Waters is another guy I have the same feeling about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Riley had far greater success at all levels than pache and waters did.

It really should not have been a shock that Riley performed well. Almost mvp type numbers is a different story altogether.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    We’re probably seeing peak Riley this year. Still, the fact that Riley has developed into a legit MLB hitter is a massive boon for the Braves.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    For those high on the futures of Shewmake or Langeliers (and I'm in that camp), Riley is 7 months older.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to OcalaBrave For This Useful Post:

PawPawMaxwell (09-07-2021)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    We’re probably seeing peak Riley this year. Still, the fact that Riley has developed into a legit MLB hitter is a massive boon for the Braves.
    Not even fully matured. Physically at least.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    That is the most exciting part to me- he'll turn 25 at the start of next season. Might have another year or two of improvement into his prime. Can't imagine that he'll improve much on this year's numbers, but hopefully continued growth will come in the form of adjusting to future pitching changes and maintaining success.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Check Kris Bryant age 24 season stats compared to Riley this year, Bryant was MVP that year BTW

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I think you're right. His .358 BABIP is quite likely near the top of his likely range (career .326). Of course, a fluky BABIP is often how guys have career seasons, so it's not like it's something that never happens again.

However, a legit .270/.350/.500 hitter is pretty much the top 10% outcome we all hoped Riley could become if he fixed his plate discipline.

Riley's massive progression in that department is very rare, and he will be the guy everyone points to whenever a kid needs to "learn how to hit" as proof that it can be done.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 09-07-2021 at 12:13 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-07-2021)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Riley's massive progression in that department is very rare, and he will be the guy everyone points to whenever a kid needs to "learn how to hit" as proof that it can be done.
    That Law article in The Athletic yesterday essentially said the progression is unlike anything he's ever seen. We see guys have power surges, but rarely overhaul their entire approach and pitch recognition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Looks like Riley has loads of........

Makeup!
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McCann'sCans View Post
    That Law article in The Athletic yesterday essentially said the progression is unlike anything he's ever seen. We see guys have power surges, but rarely overhaul their entire approach and pitch recognition.
    I have never seen it, but it's not like I've done analysis for the last 20 years or anything. These types of stats have only been available for 7(?) years.

What I have seen are guys like Acuna improve from average plate discipline to good discipline (mostly after recognizing pitchers are afraid of them), but never from terrible to good. When I say Riley was among the worst handful of MLB players at recognizing strikes and making contact on them, I was being factual. His improvement has been nothing short of remarkable, and verging on unprecedented.

Riley still strikes me as a guy who will decline early, but that's based on nothing more than some gut reaction that is no more valid than any other "eye test" nonsense I usually mock. Right now he is a legit offensive force, and there is very little flukiness in his numbers outside of an elevated BABIP.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-07-2021), NYCBrave (09-07-2021)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    I wonder if we'll start seeing folks come calling for Brumley based on this article.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    The mention by Riley being able to tunnel in on a pitch now and recognize the spin brings memories of Ted Williams talking about his incredible eyesight. Ted said his eyes tested well better than 20/10.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    It probably is his peak, but most players don’t peak at MVP candidate, so this is quite good.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Did he ever do a mea culpa on Freeman? Poor man's Mark Grace, or something like that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Well considering ability usually peaks in the 26-29 time range... I have a hard time believing that. Not that I think he gets much better... but I believe he will sustain this type of production for quite a few years

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    So what is the aging curve of "learning ability."

It seems to me some people and even baseball players have more of it than others.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Well considering ability usually peaks in the 26-29 time range... I have a hard time believing that. Not that I think he gets much better... but I believe he will sustain this type of production for quite a few years
    Just because a person’s physical peak is in their late twenties, doesn’t mean a professional athlete can’t have their best year before then. It happens all of the time. It also doesn’t mean a similar year can’t happen again. Besides, an .850 OPS isn’t that far removed from what he’s doing now.