Thread: WEDNESDAY MINOR FINAL 9/8/21; Campbell Making Up for Lost Time

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

WEDNESDAY MINOR FINAL 9/8/21; Campbell Making Up for Lost Time

I have still never seen a report mentioning why Drew Campbell missed more than two months of the season. But I'm here to report that the Rome outfielder is making up for lost time.
    Playing right field in Rome Wednesday, Campbell had a pair of home runs, five RBIs and two outfield assists in Rome's 10-7 victory. He'd begun the year in Augusta, but was injured in his eighth game and went on the IL with a .321 average. He did not return until August 14th, but hit .353 in five rehab games in Florida and thus earned his delayed promotion to Rome.
    Since arriving in Rome, playing his first game on August 24th, the lefty hitting Louisville product has played in 10 games (including Wednesday), hitting four homers, driving in 11 runs and scoring 11 despite hitting "only" .256.

-----------
    WEDNESDAY MINORS RESULTS

All Times Eastern

CLASS AAA

Gwinnett 5, Columbus 2

WP: Wright (7-5) 7 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 10 K
    Lee 1 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
    Kelley (Save, 2) 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K

Goins 1-3, 2B, R, 2 RBI
    Camargo 3-4
    Demeritte 2-4, 2B, 2 R, RBI
    Contreras 2-4, R
    Waters 1-5, 2B

CLASS AA

Mississippi 4, Montgomery 1

SP: Shuster 5.2 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 5 K
    WP: Withrow (3-0) 1.1 IP, 1 BB
    White 1 IP, 1 K
    E.Ramirez (Save, 2) 1 IP, 2 K

Clementina 1-3, 2 RBI
    Langeliers 2-4, R, RBI

ADVANCED CLASS A

Rome 10, Asheville 7

WP: Gordon (1-4) 5 IP, 11 H, 5 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
    Puckett 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K
    Higginbotham 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K
    Yeager (Save, 3) 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K

Campbell 2-5, 2 HR (3rd,4th), 5 RBI, 2 OF assists
    C.Martinez 3-5, 3 2B, 2 R
    Grissom 2-3, 2B, 2 R, RBI (.529)
    Milligan 2-6, 2B, 2 R, 2 RBI
    Estrada 2-3, RBI

CLASS A

Columbia @ Augusta (45-63), ppd.
    DH Thursday 9/9

COKPLEX ROOKIES

RCL Braves (24-25), idle
    Last edited by rico43; 09-08-2021 at 09:50 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-08-2021)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    I’m absolutely terrified to have even the slightest positive thought about Wright. But he’s on a good role lately. 10 Ks through 7 one-run innings.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (09-09-2021)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Apropos of nothing recent or particular, I’m here to report that these daily updates are wildly, deeply, vastly appreciated.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (09-09-2021), Tapate50 (09-09-2021), thethe (09-09-2021), zbhargrove (09-09-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Is Campbell a prospect?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Is Campbell a prospect?
    He's a dirtbag (term of endearment for a baseball rat). In no profile did I ever see a player with minimal power being a prospect. I think he's a gap to gap hitter and I think he's shown far better as a pro than as an amateur but unless that extra base power turns into HR's...Meh. I like him...but he has A Keith Lockhart kinda vibe. (He had a long career...but I'll wait on Campbell...lol)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-10-2021)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Man a few years ago I would know so much more about all these guys. I would even know more about the teams they played and for example if Wrights game was legit or just feasting off a ****ty team. It sucks not knowing anything about these guys anymore but my time following the prospects have been utilized elsewhere (CY’s mom for example).

But it seems Wright will have these gems every so often then a typical Wright game right after.
    Coppy

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-10-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Man a few years ago I would know so much more about all these guys. I would even know more about the teams they played and for example if Wrights game was legit or just feasting off a ****ty team. It sucks not knowing anything about these guys anymore but my time following the prospects have been utilized elsewhere (CY’s mom for example).

But it seems Wright will have these gems every so often then a typical Wright game right after.
    I'm certainly not sold it's real, but this is his best year in milb. Maybe he'll surprise us all

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts

I'm mostly focused on Rome and Augusta right now. I used to make about 20-25 games between GCL and MS. I'm down to about a few each month mostly due to LIFE. Rome is in my back yard and I'm there every Friday so I go for next to nothing if it's a prospect I wanna see. I haven't been that prospect lunatic I used to be..but I'll give snippets if it's something worth doing.

Wright...Meh. Like Touki in the minors..we've seen it before. Dr. Llewellyn is needed for the entire AAA staff...I wish. Could also use Dennis Llewallyn who was a good pitching coach IMHO. Wright has some of the best arsenal of pitches you'd want, has a great frame. You draw it up to have a pitcher like him.

The mental aspect of Braves SP pitchers from AAA to the majors is...perplexing. You can use Soroka, Fried as a couple of exceptions (there are others), but the batch of Newcomb, Wright, Toussaint seem to all be wishful thinking as far as finishing the product. Why do I feel Wright will be traded and discovers he's got IT and haunt the Braves in typical fashion?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    I'm mostly focused on Rome and Augusta right now. I used to make about 20-25 games between GCL and MS. I'm down to about a few each month mostly due to LIFE. Rome is in my back yard and I'm there every Friday so I go for next to nothing if it's a prospect I wanna see. I haven't been that prospect lunatic I used to be..but I'll give snippets if it's something worth doing.

Wright...Meh. Like Touki in the minors..we've seen it before. Dr. Llewellyn is needed for the entire AAA staff...I wish. Could also use Dennis Llewallyn who was a good pitching coach IMHO. Wright has some of the best arsenal of pitches you'd want, has a great frame. You draw it up to have a pitcher like him.

The mental aspect of Braves SP pitchers from AAA to the majors is...perplexing. You can use Soroka, Fried as a couple of exceptions (there are others), but the batch of Newcomb, Wright, Toussaint seem to all be wishful thinking as far as finishing the product. Why do I feel Wright will be traded and discovers he's got IT and haunt the Braves in typical fashion?
    It is there. Wisler is who I liken him too. It took a good team like the Rays to finally untap what he had and use it. Wisler is doing what we should have had him doing but we only develop starters and if that doesn't work toss them in the pen and see if they can figure it out. We don't look at advance stats and work with what a pitcher has to make them successful.
    Coppy

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    He's a dirtbag (term of endearment for a baseball rat). In no profile did I ever see a player with minimal power being a prospect. I think he's a gap to gap hitter and I think he's shown far better as a pro than as an amateur but unless that extra base power turns into HR's...Meh. I like him...but he has A Keith Lockhart kinda vibe. (He had a long career...but I'll wait on Campbell...lol)
    I don't know if Stu Cann is still the Braves' Midwest scout, but he always hit Illinois (where Campbell played JC ball at Olney Central College before moving to Louisville) fairly hard and usually comes up with guys who have a chance. Campbell's JC/D1 stats don't jump off the page, but that doesn't mean everything. Could be a guy who sticks around for a number of years and contributes. Stick around long enough and who knows what might happen.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-10-2021)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    It is there. Wisler is who I liken him too. It took a good team like the Rays to finally untap what he had and use it. Wisler is doing what we should have had him doing but we only develop starters and if that doesn't work toss them in the pen and see if they can figure it out. We don't look at advance stats and work with what a pitcher has to make them successful.
    Charlie Morton's career may (in the best case scenario) be a comparison. Morton struggled mightily when he hit the bigs, but it all came together for him when he finally got his fastball to be a consistent plus pitch. Wright strikes me as a guy with a lot of B-level stuff and a guy needs to elevate at least one of his pitches to a consistent major league pitch.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-10-2021)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Would it be all that surprising to see Wright get a start on Tuesday against the Rockies? He was 3-0 with a 2.43 ERA, 1.04 WHIP, 35 Ks and 5 walks in 29.2 innings in August. I guess they could just skip that spot in the rotation, but its going to be needed again and if he keeps pitching well I wouldn't be surprised if they give throw him out there. Not saying I like it, but if the other options are Touki and Smyly then its kind of a roll of the dice right now anyways.