Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about the Padres suspended game

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    But once again, that doesn't answer the question. Almonte is out of the game already. Are we required to replace his spot with a player currently on the roster? Not asking if we are allowed or not. Asking if we are required to replace a player who was removed from the game and no longer on the roster, to put a player currently on the roster in that spot. Just answer yes or no please lol
    You are the only person not understanding this. Stop, breath, and realize what that means.

I will make it 100% clear.

Joc Pederson will take Almonte's spot on the roster. Since Joc did not play in that game yet, he is an eligible bench player that can be used at any time.

The question is now 100% answered.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    You are the only person not understanding this. Stop, breath, and realize what that means.

Joc Pederson will take Almonte's spot on the roster. Since Joc did not play in that game yet, he is an eligible bench player that can be used at any time.

Unfortunately, Joc led off in that game (see my last post for the lineup). But yeah.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McCann'sCans View Post
    Unfortunately, Joc led off in that game (see my last post for the lineup). But yeah.
    Oooops.

Rosario will take Almonte's spot on the roster. Since Rosario did not play in that game yet, he is an eligible bench player that can be used at any time.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    595 Posts
    I imagine our lineup will be

vs. RHP

Pederson CF (In Game)
    Swanson SS (Locked)
    Freeman 1B (Locked)
    Albies 2B (Locked)
    Riley 3B (Locked)
    Soler RF (Open-Vogt)
    Duvall LF (PH for Heredia)
    Contreras C (Open-Arcia)
    Chavez P (In Game)

vs. LHP

Soler RF (PH for Pederson)
    Swanson SS (Locked)
    Freeman 1B (Locked)
    Albies 2B (Locked)
    Riley 3B (Locked)
    Duvall LF (Open-Vogt)
    Heredia CF (In Game)
    Contreras C (Open-Arcia)
    Chavez P (In Game)

We’ve burned Adrianza so this leaves us with TDA and Rosario on the bench. Our full pitching staff would be available however.

Do we get an extra player since it’s 2 games in a day? It would be helpful to bring up Camargo since Arcia originally started the game in LF. It would be nice if we had someone who could at least fake it in the IF for a few innings just in case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

I don't think you're even trying to understand what I'm asking. If Rosario is taking Almonte's spot on the roster, would he be required to be burned for the game, since Almonte was used already? Otherwise that would give the Braves an additional roster spot for the game. If Almonte played in this game, he counts towards the Braves roster total for this game, does he not? But nobody seems to have a definitive answer if that is true.

So no, the question is now 100% not answered.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    I don't think you're even trying to understand what I'm asking. If Rosario is taking Almonte's spot on the roster, would he be required to be burned for the game, since Almonte was used already? Otherwise that would give the Braves an additional roster spot for the game. If Almonte played in this game, he counts towards the Braves roster total for this game, does he not? But nobody seems to have a definitive answer if that is true.

I sort of feel we have all given a definitive answer.
    Coppy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (09-20-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts

He just clearly answered your question. Simply sub Joc for Rosario.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    I imagine our lineup will be

vs. RHP

Pederson CF (In Game)
    Swanson SS (Locked)
    Freeman 1B (Locked)
    Albies 2B (Locked)
    Riley 3B (Locked)
    Soler RF (Open-Vogt)
    Duvall LF (PH for Heredia)
    Contreras C (Open-Arcia)
    Chavez P (In Game)

vs. LHP

Soler RF (PH for Pederson)
    Swanson SS (Locked)
    Freeman 1B (Locked)
    Albies 2B (Locked)
    Riley 3B (Locked)
    Duvall LF (Open-Vogt)
    Heredia CF (In Game)
    Contreras C (Open-Arcia)
    Chavez P (In Game)

We’ve burned Adrianza so this leaves us with TDA and Rosario on the bench. Our full pitching staff would be available however.

Do we get an extra player since it’s 2 games in a day? It would be helpful to bring up Camargo since Arcia originally started the game in LF. It would be nice if we had someone who could at least fake it in the IF for a few innings just in case.
    Makes sense. Hadn't thought about flipping the OF spot for the C spot in the lineup if we're going to be replacing both of them anyways. I would think they would give us an extra player and treat it as a pseudo-DH, but not sure.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    Will the regularly scheduled game be 7 innings because this game is played first? I'm assuming this game is still 7 innings because it was originally scheduled as such.

I've hated having this game hanging over us all this time, because it's probably a loss.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts

you trolling bro

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    595 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherders View Post
    Will the regularly scheduled game be 7 innings because this game is played first? I'm assuming this game is still 7 innings because it was originally scheduled as such.

I've hated having this game hanging over us all this time, because it's probably a loss.
    I believe it will be 9 innings

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    That is also my understanding. 2.5 innings to finish game 1, followed by a regularly scheduled 9 inning game.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts

I actually said it 3 times. At least 2 other people have tried to explain it. And the quoted rule also addresses it specifically.

Rosario takes Almonte's spot on the roster, and Rosario is available to be used at any point. It may not seem fair to get an "extra" bench player after using Almonte and then replacing him with Rosario on the roster, but that's the way it is.

I'm afraid it can't be made any more clear than that.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    But once again, that doesn't answer the question. Almonte is out of the game already. Are we required to replace his spot with a player currently on the roster? Not asking if we are allowed or not. Asking if we are required to replace a player who was removed from the game and no longer on the roster, to put a player currently on the roster in that spot. Just answer yes or no please lol
    Good Lord. The current roster is the current roster, period. Anyone on the current roster who has been removed from the suspended game stays out. New guys have no stipulations as to who they might replace. The rule is so broad that, in theory, if a Padres player was in the suspended game and was traded to the Braves in the meanwhile, he could now play for the Braves against the Padres.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

No, not burned. There is no 1-for-1 roster move consideration. There is only the active roster as it stands on 9/24/21.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherders View Post

I believe that's correct since it's not a traditionally doubleheader.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Geezus, that's ten minutes of life I'm not going to get back. Kinda like last night with Cy's mom.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

drewdat (09-21-2021)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Good Lord. The current roster is the current roster, period. Anyone on the current roster who has been removed from the suspended game stays out. New guys have no stipulations as to who they might replace. The rule is so broad that, in theory, if a Padres player was in the suspended game and was traded to the Braves in the meanwhile, he could now play for the Braves against the Padres.
    Not quite the Joel Youngblood saga. Youngblood got a hit for the Mets in a day game in Chicago, got traded early in the game to the Expos, hopped on a plane to Philadelphia and got a hit for his new team in a night game.

But there's more! In 1922, the Cubs' Max Flack and the Cardinals' Cliff Heathcote were traded for one another between games of a doubleheader and both players played in both games, but for different teams.

From the SABR website (a real treasure for baseball biographies that go way back): In a holiday doubleheader in Chicago, the Cubs won the first game, 4-1, as Flack, playing right field, went 0-for-4 with an RBI. After the game, Flack was traded to the Cardinals for outfielder Cliff Heathcote, who had gone 0-for-3 for the Cardinals in the first game.

The players switched clubhouses, and in the second game, won by the Cubs, 3-1, Heathcote went 2-for-4 for the Cubs while Flack went 1-for-4 as the Cardinals’ leadoff hitter. Flack and Heathcote became the first two players in major-league history to play for two teams in the same day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    No, not burned. There is no 1-for-1 roster move consideration. There is only the active roster as it stands on 9/24/21.
    That's all I was asking lol. Simply would we need to burn the spot or not. Nothing more

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Since the game started before rosters expanded, will it be under previous roster size or current roster size?