Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Freeman why we are struggling to finish the season strong (yet again)?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Twit is a genius anyway. Any man who can make a player like Acuna great just by letting him hit lead off every day can surely figure out how to lead this team to the promise land.

Players will always play harder for him because they know he is next level matrix genius.
    Coppy

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-21-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    But here's the problem with replacing Snitker. I'm pretty sure at least 25 teams hate their own manager. And I totally agree that Snitker makes a ton of boneheaded mistakes managing the roster and in game decisions.

But if you look around the league, some managers who were supposed to be the young, next generation, who embraced analytics and would immediately succeed are failing.

The point I'm making is, we can't guarantee whoever is brought in to replace Snitker will automatically be better. And I'm sure the Braves would look in house, because "The Braves Way".

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    But here's the problem with replacing Snitker. I'm pretty sure at least 25 teams hate their own manager. And I totally agree that Snitker makes a ton of boneheaded mistakes managing the roster and in game decisions.

But if you look around the league, some managers who were supposed to be the young, next generation, who embraced analytics and would immediately succeed are failing.

The point I'm making is, we can't guarantee whoever is brought in to replace Snitker will automatically be better. And I'm sure the Braves would look in house, because "The Braves Way".
    I'd be interested to see which teams are failing due to an analytics-minded manager.

Kapler was supposedly the poster child for this when he flopped with the Phils. He got fired, SF snapped him up, and he is leading them to a remarkable season under one of the most analytically savvy groups in the sport...a group lead by Zaidi, who they stole from LA. It is comical listening to the broadcast dinosaurs for SF games try to reconcile his success with their archaic understanding of the modern game.

Meanwhile, the Phils are still the same mediocre franchise they've always been after the Utley/Rollins/Howard peak, currently lead by the dinosaur Joe Girardi.

I would like to see AA steal someone like Quatraro from the Rays. Players and executives win baseball games. The manager just needs to steer the ship properly.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 09-20-2021 at 12:28 PM.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    I took the Freeman/Swanson interaction as a lighthearted joke, not as locker room bullying. Obviously Freeman should take more days off, but IMO that is on Snitker. Players can claim they want to play all they want, but the manager sets the lineup card. I'm sure every player on the Dodgers roster is eager to be out there every day, but the manager doesn't just acquiesce to that like Snit does.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to McCann'sCans For This Useful Post:

clvclv2 (09-22-2021)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I'd be interested to see which teams are failing due to an analytics-minded manager.

Kapler was the poster child for this when he flopped with the Phils. He got fired, SF snapped him up, and he is leading them to a remarkable season under one of the most analytically savvy groups in the sport...a group lead by Zaidi, who they stole from LA.

Meanwhile, the Phils are still the same mediocre franchise they've always been after the Utley/Rollins/Howard peak.
    yeah. I was on the Kapler was a failure bandwagon. But it is pretty clear to me that even analytics can only take a crappy team so far. It also needs to have an analytic GM to bleed that culture down to everyone.

sign me up for a younger manager who looks at analytics as a positive and not some dumbass who stands stoic in the dugout with his arm crossed before he takes his 7th inning power nap.
    Coppy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-21-2021)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Kapler was supposedly the poster child for this when he flopped with the Phils. He got fired, SF snapped him up, and he is leading them to a remarkable season under one of the most analytically savvy groups in the sport...a group lead by Zaidi, who they stole from LA. It is comical listening to the broadcast dinosaurs for SF games try to reconcile his success with their archaic understanding of the modern game.

Meanwhile, the Phils are still the same mediocre franchise they've always been after the Utley/Rollins/Howard peak.

I would like to see AA steal someone like Quatraro from the Rays.
    My favorite recent example of broadcast dinosaurs was A-Rod applauding the Phillies for letting Gibson hit for himself and stay in the game last night. A-Rod was applauding Girardi talking about how starters need to make it through 7 innings more often and Girardi's veteran leadership was showing. A-Rod claimed to love managers who 'make decisions with their eyes, not their Ipad.' Gibson proceeded to give up a leadoff homer that wound up being the game winner.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to McCann'sCans For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-21-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts

Meanwhile, the Phils are still the same mediocre franchise they've always been after the Utley/Rollins/Howard peak, currently lead by the dinosaur Joe Girardi.

I would like to see AA steal someone like Quatraro from the Rays. Players and executives win baseball games. The manager just needs to steer the ship properly.
    Well New York (the fans and media) are certainly looking at Aaron Boone as a failure. He was supposed to be the anti-Girardi.

Rocco Baldelli came from the Rays to the Twins, this year has been nothing short of a disaster. And he's a huge analytics guy.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McCann'sCans View Post
    My favorite recent example of broadcast dinosaurs was A-Rod applauding the Phillies for letting Gibson hit for himself and stay in the game last night. A-Rod was applauding Girardi talking about how starters need to make it through 7 innings more often and Girardi's veteran leadership was showing. A-Rod claimed to love managers who 'make decisions with their eyes, not their Ipad.' Gibson proceeded to give up a leadoff homer that wound up being the game winner.
    I didn't watch the game but that is awesome.

Stats don't lie. They don't always immediately predict an outcome.. but given enough chances they prove to be true. If pitchers struggle facing a line up the 3rd time through, then believe it. Of course there are exceptions. True aces have leverage to do what they want. score can play a role. but unfortunately there are way too many idiots who think baseball shouldn't evolve.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McCann'sCans View Post
    I took the Freeman/Swanson interaction as a lighthearted joke, not as locker room bullying. Obviously Freeman should take more days off, but IMO that is on Snitker. Players can claim they want to play all they want, but the manager sets the lineup card. I'm sure every player on the Dodgers roster is eager to be out there every day, but the manager doesn't just acquiesce to that like Snit does.
    What the Dodgers do is a little more subtle though.

They don't have guys rotting on the bench. They identify a player's strengths, and then use him in that scenario every single time that scenario comes up. When you watch a Dodgers game, you can see Roberts stack a lineup with platoon advantages, and then unravel that skewed handedness as game scenarios dictate. That way even the "bench players" know they are most likely going to be contributing every single night.

Meanwhile, we've seen Snit work platoon matchups with the starting lineup, but he is unable to unravel that stacked lineup in a way that is even remotely competent. This leads to instances where the Braves offense goes multiple innings suffering the platoon disadvantage because the opposing manager is able to easily outmanage Snit when deploying their BP.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-21-2021), McCann'sCans (09-20-2021)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Well New York (the fans and media) are certainly looking at Aaron Boone as a failure. He was supposed to be the anti-Girardi.

Rocco Baldelli came from the Rays to the Twins, this year has been nothing short of a disaster. And he's a huge analytics guy.
    statistical anomalies will happen, injuries will happen, learning curves need to happen. I wouldn't judge one season as a basis for an argument for or against analytics. Just like I think the Giants are playing over their heads and have also managed to escape big injuries to sideline their season. I wouldn't say their success is all on Kapler..
    Coppy

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-21-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts

Aaron Boone a failure?

He won 100 games in 2018.

He won 103 games in 2019.

He went 33-27 in 2020.

He is on pace to win 90 games this year despite massive injuries to almost every star, and no real SS on the roster.

Baldelli a failure?

He won 101 games in 2019.

He went 36-24 in 2020 (97 win pace).

Now they have a disaster season and he's suddenly to blame?

Anyone blaming Boone, Baldelli and the analytically informed management style on the Yankees/Twins issues is laughably out of touch with reality.

If either team fires their manager I hope AA snaps him up immedately.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-21-2021)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    What the Dodgers do is a little more subtle though.

They don't have guys rotting on the bench. They identify a player's strengths, and then use him in that scenario every single time that scenario comes up. When you watch a Dodgers game, you can see Roberts stack a lineup with platoon advantages, and then unravel that skewed handedness as game scenarios dictate. That way even the "bench players" know they are most likely going to be contributing every single night.

Meanwhile, we've seen Snit work platoon matchups with the starting lineup, but he is unable to unravel that stacked lineup in a way that is even remotely competent. This leads to instances where the Braves offense goes multiple innings suffering the platoon disadvantage because the opposing manager is able to easily outmanage Snit when deploying their BP.
    Well to be fair, the Dodger$ have starting caliber players on the bench and in the field. It is easy to pick and chose when you have a 300 million dollar team.
    Coppy

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Well to be fair, the Dodger$ have starting caliber players on the bench and in the field. It is easy to pick and chose when you have a 300 million dollar team.
    Yeah its a little easier to unravel the platoon advantage when you're bringing guys like Pollock, Taylor, Lux, Pujols, and Bellinger off the bench in a given night then when you have Heredia, Adrianza, Almonte, Arica, and Kevan Smith hanging out on the bench.

But generally, point taken and agreed with that Snit is absolutely useless when considering/executing platoon strategy and most other things.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to McCann'sCans For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-21-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    True, but we see AA make the budget version of that team, especially with the revamped OF.

It's pretty clear Heredia should be used over Rosario and Joc vs LHP, but instead he is just rotting on the bench. The Dodgers would never allow that to happen.

Albies bats at the top of the lineup vs RHP despite being an average hitter vs them. The Dodgers would never allow that to happen.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-21-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    This is yikes.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-21-2021)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Once upon a time MLB season consisted of 154 games. Teams had 4 man rotations and a longer bench but shorter pen. Has the 162 game season caused all the current injuries? Another observation, there is no one under the age of 50 or 60 (?) on the Braves bench. Who do they coach? Snit or the players? I watch Swanson from home on a 62 inch TV. When he is going well he is steady in the box, when he goes to **** with the bat he twitches like someone with fleas. Do none of the coaches see that. Watch for yourselves if you wish confirmation. This post is not about Swanson.
    #2: Maybe MLB needs to change the meetings to Baseball Competition instead of Baseball Game. It irks the hell out of me every time FF gets on base of the other team reaches first. Freddie has to have a Fraternity meeting and laugh and joke with everyone. Every game is a competition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,513 Posts
    Aaron Boone a failure?

He went 33-27 in 2020.

He is on pace to win 90 games this year despite massive injuries to almost every star, and no real SS on the roster.

Baldelli a failure?

Anyone blaming Boone, Baldelli and the analytically informed management style on the Yankees/Twins issues is laughably out of touch with reality.

This.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    True, but we see AA make the budget version of that team, especially with the revamped OF.

It's pretty clear Heredia should be used over Rosario and Joc vs LHP, but instead he is just rotting on the bench. The Dodgers would never allow that to happen.

Albies bats at the top of the lineup vs RHP despite being an average hitter vs them. The Dodgers would never allow that to happen.
    I agree.. I just like typing Dodger$.. I feel my sentiment regarding Twit is fairly known by now.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Aaron Boone a failure?

He went 33-27 in 2020.

Baldelli a failure?

Baldelli won't lose his job, but Boone might. There are expectations attached to managing the Yankees. Second highest payroll in the league, can't produce a non-playoff team. Curiously enough, wonder what Snitker's record would be if he was managing the Yankees this year lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,513 Posts
    Baldelli won't lose his job, but Boone might. There are expectations attached to managing the Yankees. Second highest payroll in the league, can't produce a non-playoff team. Curiously enough, wonder what Snitker's record would be if he was managing the Yankees this year lol
    Snitker would never be hired.