Results 2,581 to 2,600 of 4658

Thread: Official 2022 Offseason Moves Thread

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Not entirely a bad thought but what would the Correa signing do to Acuna and Albies egos?
    I honestly think that even though it can be argued that "they signed it", the deals aren't really fair. Acuna's going to be much more of a star than Freddie, and his first deal is for less than Freddie's was years before. There has already been some back-and-forth between Acuna's dad and the team. The team could avoid jealousy and tension in the clubhouse and gain credibility by paying more to Acuna and Albies - not Correa money as they aren't free agent superstars yet, but more - maybe add a year to the end of their deals or increase salaries throughout their current deals or both?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnBoy For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-31-2022), jpx7 (01-30-2022)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    609 Posts
    John Boy - how this works - at least as I can understand it- is the Braves will get a couple of years away from the end of those contracts and re- work them for much bigger money and long term- if Ozzie and Ronnie turn out to be what they look like they will. It’s a win win all the way around.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hulavol For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-31-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,699 Posts

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    So yeah AA, if you're able to get Olson for spare parts (meaning no Harris or Lango, bonus points if no Pache) and use the extra money for a SP and OF help, do it. You've made the right move, regardless of what the Twitterverse says. They'll be thanking you in 5 years...if they haven't forgotten all about their moronic ideas and complaints by then (spoiler: they will have forgotten).
    are you that high on Langeliers?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    "Deserve" is a bit much. I think he "deserves" whatever the market is willing to pay for his services. But any team signing him should do so realizing that his best days are likely behind him and the risk involved is pretty high that he will be an average of worse player before the end of 2025. If the Braves don't feel comfortable taking that risk at such a high price, I can't say that I blame them. If we wish to remain competitive, handing out bad contracts is a practice we should avoid.
    i'll be surprised if someone gives him $190 mil
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    are you that high on Langeliers?
    A surefire catcher for 6 years is more valuable than his prospect rating suggests, just based on the positional scarcity.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-31-2022)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,759 Posts
    What ever happened to Shewmake? Did his value dwindle?
    Forever Fredi

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,278 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    He was absolutely terrible last year. Still a chance he can recover some value, of course, but he’s already 23 and his first exposure to AA was a disaster.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    As I recall, I think it was said that we was possibly tinkering with a swing change earlier in the season to add more power. Don't know if that was ever confirmed. Either way, he was the worst hitter in all of professional sports through the end of May. He then heated up in June and was one of the best hitters in our entire system over the next 2.5 months. Then he went into a prolonged slump over his last 80 PAs to finish the season. Very up and down season where a lot of questions were brought up, yet he also flashed enough potential to get you excited. Very strange year overall for him, but his stock is certainly down.
    Last edited by Carp; 02-01-2022 at 12:45 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-04-2022)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Shewmake has been basically the polar opposite of what I expected him to be. I thought his hit tool would carry him to being a valuable utility piece pretty quickly, but that he wouldn't be a good enough fielder to play short on a regular basis. I basically thought he would be early career Daniel Murphy starting this year- .280-300 hitter with mostly doubles power who can be serviceable at multiple infield positions.

Turns out his hit tool forgot to show up to AA, but he was definitely good enough to stick at SS. Now I have no idea who he is or what he can be.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McCann'sCans For This Useful Post:

clvclv (02-01-2022), JohnAdcox (02-02-2022), jpx7 (02-04-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Snitker comments on Freeman/Ozuna:

“Do I want Freddie back? Absolutely. Why wouldn’t I,” Snitker asked rhetorically. “But it may not happen. It’s the way business is. But I’m not freaking out about it right now. Last year, we lost Player A, and we kept going. We lost player B, C, D, E, F, and we just kept going. It’s what we do.”

The Braves haven’t officially announced their plans for Ozuna, who is under contract through 2024. If Ozuna remains on the active roster, Snitker tells Schultz he’d have no qualms about putting him back into the lineup. “As far as I know right now, he’s going to be there,” Snitker said. “He went through the process, and he’s been cleared to play. That’s all I care about.“
    Get off my lawn!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-05-2022), thethe (02-06-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    For what it’s worth, FG currently projects the Braves as a 90 win team, good enough for another NL East title. That’s literally without a MLB player at 1b and a collection of garbage sprinkled in the OF.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-lockout-projected-zips-standings-national-league-edition/

AA can pretty easily make this a 95 win roster by adding Freeman/Olson/Rizzo and Pham/Conforto/Winker/Reynolds. I expect him to add 2 such players and make the Braves a clear favorite in the NL.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 02-05-2022 at 11:45 AM.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

clvclv (02-05-2022), jpx7 (02-05-2022), Tapate50 (02-07-2022), The Chosen One (02-05-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,699 Posts
    When should we expect soroka back?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    When should we expect soroka back?
    At some point after the Heels whup Krzyzewski's *ss in his last trip to Chapel Thrill.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,759 Posts
    For what it’s worth, FG currently projects the Braves as a 90 win team, good enough for another NL East title. That’s literally without a MLB player at 1b and a collection of garbage sprinkled in the OF.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-lock...eague-edition/

AA can pretty easily make this a 95 win roster by adding Freeman/Olson/Rizzo and Pham/Conforto/Winker/Reynolds. I expect him to add 2 such players and make the Braves a clear favorite in the NL.
    NL? Or NL East?
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    NL? Or NL East?
    NL. The only team clearly better than the Braves would be the Dodgers, and even that isn’t by a large margin.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-lock...eague-edition/

You think AA should add a veteran SP too, if we have the funds too?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Yeah, he needs a ~.320 xwOBA SP who can be relied on for 120+ IP. Basically some #4 on a 1 year deal.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    At some point after the Heels whup Krzyzewski's *ss in his last trip to Chapel Thrill.
    Its a shame that- per clvclv's timeline- Soroka is never coming back. Emphatically.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Snitker comments on Freeman/Ozuna:

“Do I want Freddie back? Absolutely. Why wouldn’t I,” Snitker asked rhetorically. “But it may not happen. It’s the way business is. But I’m not freaking out about it right now. Last year, we lost Player A, and we kept going. We lost player B, C, D, E, F, and we just kept going. It’s what we do.”

The Braves haven’t officially announced their plans for Ozuna, who is under contract through 2024. If Ozuna remains on the active roster, Snitker tells Schultz he’d have no qualms about putting him back into the lineup. “As far as I know right now, he’s going to be there,” Snitker said. “He went through the process, and he’s been cleared to play. That’s all I care about.“
    Ozuna looks great right now and was productive in his winter league. That doesn’t mean it’ll translate back to the big leagues but I feel pretty good about ozuna still being an above average bat in the middle of the order.

Braves will be carried by their pitching next year. It’s just so damn deep with lots of help in the upper levels of the farm.

Fried puts it all together next year and finishes top 3 in CY young.
    Natural Immunity Croc