Results 2,621 to 2,640 of 4658

Thread: Official 2022 Offseason Moves Thread

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    For what it’s worth, FG currently projects the Braves as a 90 win team, good enough for another NL East title. That’s literally without a MLB player at 1b and a collection of garbage sprinkled in the OF.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-lock...eague-edition/

AA can pretty easily make this a 95 win roster by adding Freeman/Olson/Rizzo and Pham/Conforto/Winker/Reynolds. I expect him to add 2 such players and make the Braves a clear favorite in the NL.
    Pham would probably be viewed as a "no-brainer" if he's not going to get anything more than Bowden projects in his last piece for The Athletic. Less commitment than you'd expect any of the Conforto/Soler/Rosario crowd to get, and he'd pretty much guarantee we won't have to watch Ozuna play defense. One year for $8 million wouldn't hurt the pocketbook that bad if the ultimate goal is to re-sign Freeman. Given the fact that we've yet to hear him linked to ANYBODY else, I wonder if AA might circle back to Pederson as a cheap way to add a LH platoon bat instead of Pham - there aren't many good LH starters in the division these days, so they could probably get away with having Pache or Heredia playing CF against them if they wanted to slide Duvall over to RF and play Ozuna in LF once in a blue moon until Acuna's ready.

https://theathletic.com/3114917/2022...-lockout-ends/
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I haven't seen any discussion on this so far, but no criminal charges were filed against Bauer. How will the MLB handle this now? Certainly, the optics around the situation are still ugly. But what further actions can they realistically take when no criminal charges are filed? And when a suspension isultimately handed down, will the players union rush to defend it if he appeals (which seems somewhat likely).

The MLB is wanting to interview Bauer. My guess is, during the interview they will discuss possible suspensions. Probably something like 100 game suspension, but credit him for time served in 2021, with the understanding that he won't appeal it. My question past that is, does anyone want him? From reports, it doesn't appear he will play for the Dodgers again.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-15-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,706 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I haven't seen any discussion on this so far, but no criminal charges were filed against Bauer. How will the MLB handle this now? Certainly, the optics around the situation are still ugly. But what further actions can they realistically take when no criminal charges are filed? And when a suspension isultimately handed down, will the players union rush to defend it if he appeals (which seems somewhat likely).

The MLB is wanting to interview Bauer. My guess is, during the interview they will discuss possible suspensions. Probably something like 100 game suspension, but credit him for time served in 2021, with the understanding that he won't appeal it. My question past that is, does anyone want him? From reports, it doesn't appear he will play for the Dodgers again.
    Suspended for what though? If there's no charges

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Behavior can violate the domestic violence policy even if it doesn't arise to the level of a crime or even if the police decide not to prosecute. I don't know what happened there or with the police but I will say domestic violence frequently goes unprosecuted as it has a high rate of victims refusing to cooperate with police.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-15-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,706 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Behavior can violate the domestic violence policy even if it doesn't arise to the level of a crime or even if the police decide not to prosecute. I don't know what happened there or with the police but I will say domestic violence frequently goes unprosecuted as it has a high rate of victims refusing to cooperate with police.
    I thought this was a rape/sexual assault charge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    I thought this was a rape/sexual assault charge.
    It was both.

Per LA Times:

"The district attorney opted not to file assault charges in the first encounter in April and domestic violence charges in the second encounter in May, determining there was insufficient evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Bauer committed a crime."

Both are covered under the same MLB policy and both are underprosecuted.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-15-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Behavior that violates MLB personal conduct policy. The policy itself is likely pretty vague, so that it can encompass basically anything they deem to detrimental to the reputation of the league.

I know it's a different sport, but the NFL suspended Zeke Elliott nearly half the season a few years back from a DV allegation made by his former GF. He also was never charged with a crime.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-15-2022)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    If anyone here works at a job where their employer cannot discipline them unless formally charged with a crime, I'd love to hear about it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to McCann'sCans For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-15-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,706 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McCann'sCans View Post
    If anyone here works at a job where their employer cannot discipline them unless formally charged with a crime, I'd love to hear about it.
    He was punished.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    He was punished.
    Yep. And they'll decide if they think that punishment was sufficient or not for his actions. Has nothing to do with whether or not he was charged.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    He was punished.
    Technically he wasn't. He was placed on the restricted list, but he was still paid an accrued service time. Granted, he will likely have to pay that back once they make a decision there. And that time missed will be deducted from whatever punishment is laid out. But as of now, he hasn't been punished at all.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    OK, so he was basically in personal escrow, just like Ozuna. Agree that some sort of punishment is justifiable and justified. Bauer sat three months and Ozuna, four.

But the actions, or inaction, of the prosecuting authority in both mens' cases is significant. Anybody can say anything. You can't discipline based on the worst thing that is said about the individual. Bauer says the woman made up huge chunks of that awful story, and the officer-cam in the Ozuna incident clearly doesn't support the officer's report and the initial reporting, to the point where the report and reporting might actually be considered false. Ozuna performed a litany of actions designed to address domestic abuse situations, followed by dismissal of the charges. Bauer wound up with a no bill.

So now baseball comes in and does their own investigation and analysis, presumably with a different threshold for punishment and standard for behavior. In the context of no charges - no provable violation of state or local law in the opinion of the prosecuting authorities - exactly how much farther does MLB intend to go? And how much farther does the MLBPA intend to allow them to go?

Again, Ozuna sat for four months, Bauer for three. A monetary penalty in the form of salary suspension for some portion of that time seems justifiable. Beyond that, I'd say both Bauer and Ozuna overpaid in terms of missing significant chunks of competition while each of their matters were sorted out. Now that they have been, no further suspension is warranted or appropriate, which is, I understand, where they've come out on Ozuna.

Substituting MLB's judgement for that of the District/State Attorney is difficult business. Should MLB have the right to hold the participant to a different standard? I'm OK with that, but there needs to be a clear means of judging and determining penalties. And Rob Manfred's unilateral judgement might not be the right answer.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

thethe (02-15-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    JMO, but despite escaping charges, I think Bauer's case is a good bit worse than Ozuna's. I realize there seems to be a degree of consent in the Bauer case, but certainly based on the medical reports of the woman, it was pretty brutal. The degree of how much was consensual is up for debate. In the Ozuna case, we know it wasn't nearly as bad at the initial reports suggested, though it certainly isn't a good look on Ozuna.

The public will generally forgive domestic violence after a certain time has passed, at least if it isn't an egregious act. But sexual assault is something totally different. Obviously, Bauer isn't being charged with sexual assault, but the fact that we know what happened and consent is in question, I really doubt he's gonna get a pass on this either from the MLB or from individual players. Unless more information that helps Bauer out, I would be somewhat surprised if he played again.
    Last edited by Carp; 02-15-2022 at 10:58 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

buck75 (02-15-2022)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    OK, so he was basically in personal escrow, just like Ozuna. Agree that some sort of punishment is justifiable and justified. Bauer sat three months and Ozuna, four.

But the actions, or inaction, of the prosecuting authority in both mens' cases is significant. Anybody can say anything. You can't discipline based on the worst thing that is said about the individual. Bauer says the woman made up huge chunks of that awful story, and the officer-cam in the Ozuna incident clearly doesn't support the officer's report and the initial reporting, to the point where the report and reporting might actually be considered false. Ozuna performed a litany of actions designed to address domestic abuse situations, followed by dismissal of the charges. Bauer wound up with a no bill.

So now baseball comes in and does their own investigation and analysis, presumably with a different threshold for punishment and standard for behavior. In the context of no charges - no provable violation of state or local law in the opinion of the prosecuting authorities - exactly how much farther does MLB intend to go? And how much farther does the MLBPA intend to allow them to go?

Again, Ozuna sat for four months, Bauer for three. A monetary penalty in the form of salary suspension for some portion of that time seems justifiable. Beyond that, I'd say both Bauer and Ozuna overpaid in terms of missing significant chunks of competition while each of their matters were sorted out. Now that they have been, no further suspension is warranted or appropriate, which is, I understand, where they've come out on Ozuna.

Substituting MLB's judgement for that of the District/State Attorney is difficult business. Should MLB have the right to hold the participant to a different standard? I'm OK with that, but there needs to be a clear means of judging and determining penalties. And Rob Manfred's unilateral judgement might not be the right answer.
    I'm not sure you can call it Rob Manfred's unilateral judgement when the domestic violence policy was collectively bargained and agreed to by MLBPA, who can also appeal any suspension handed down by the commissioner.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McCann'sCans View Post
    I'm not sure you can call it Rob Manfred's unilateral judgement when the domestic violence policy was collectively bargained and agreed to by MLBPA, who can also appeal any suspension handed down by the commissioner.
    Not talking about the policy. Talking about the arbiter.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Word is that Soto declined a 13 year / $350m extension from Washington before the lock out. That is a huge number to turn down.
    Get off my lawn!

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Word is that Soto declined a 13 year / $350m extension from Washington before the lock out. That is a huge number to turn down.
    His agents/reps told him he's gonna hit FA. Honestly he could probably get more as a FA. He'll be 26 when he's a FA, dont think it's unreasonable to say he could get 450-500 million.

On the Nats side, what do you do here? Trade him for a bounty, or hope you can win the bidding war in 3 years. Tough one. IF there arent gonna be any QO in the new CBA, they probably have no choice but to move him.
    Last edited by Heyward; 02-16-2022 at 05:01 PM.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    Knowing the Nationals, I wouldn’t be surprised if a massive chunk of that money was deferred.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

Carp (02-17-2022)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    Knowing the Nationals, I wouldn’t be surprised if a massive chunk of that money was deferred.
    None was deferred. They know Soto wouldnt give up FA for a deferred deal. I think it would have to be 450 at least for him to consider signing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    If he'd taken that deal and played to the end of it he'd beat Satchel Paige's record.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-17-2022), zitothebrave (02-17-2022)