Page 2 of 233 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2022 Offseason Moves Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    There are huge question marks in the OF, so AA has to plan for that. As we saw this year, the team that opens the season is not going to be the team that finishes the year, so they don’t have to lock down the entire roster in the off season.

It’s possible Ozuna comes back in the 2nd half, so DH PAs must be available. It’s possible Pache progresses, so CF PAs must be available. It’s possible Acuna isn’t 100% ready opening day, so some of those PAs may need to be filled.

Freeman must be signed, somehow without hamstringing the payroll 4-5 years from now. Rizzo is a good backup plan. Soler needs to be in LF, so that deal needs to get done as well. Someone has to be Plan B in CF before the deadline, and Heredia fills that role well. Joc is a great option to pair with Heredia, and can move to the bench if Pache takes off. If Ozuna is gone all 2022, or the Braves can’t sign Soler, Rosario is an acceptable target.

The rotation obviously starts with Fried, Morton and Anderson. They shouldn’t be counting on Soroka for anything at this point, so he falls into the 5th SP grab bag with guys like Ynoa, Wright, and Touki. They should probably bring in a Smyly replacement on a 1 year deal, and there are several options out there.

Revisiting the supposed trade for Reynolds would be amazing. Something centered around Pache plus an advanced arm would maybe work.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-03-2021 at 08:42 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-03-2021), PawPawMaxwell (11-03-2021), UNCBlue012 (11-03-2021)

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    If you figure Morton, Fried and Anderson are chiseled into the rotation in concrete, then that leaves you two open rotation slots. I think you have to aim for some kind of veteran arm for the fourth starter — not high end, certainly, but maybe someone who’ll take the deal we gave Smyly last offseason.

Then you can leave the fifth starter to an open competition. I don’t know that you can really go into spring training with two massive question marks in the rotation and potentially leaving yourself counting on both Wright and Davidson in the regular season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I think you have to give either Strider or Elder (maybe both) a chance to take the back end rotation spots.

Doesn't seem like a good allocation of funds to spend on starting pitching right now.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    Just generally this off-season is as hard to predict as any I can remember. There are a ton of moving parts: Freeman’s free agency, the entire crew of outfield reinforcements, the impending labor problems. Things might be completely frozen for months.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-03-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    There’s really no need to draw out the Freeman deal if everyone truly wants to get it done. His agent should be able to find the Goldy deal somewhere, so if he wants something like $27M for 3-4 years in Atlanta he can resign quickly. If AA wants to hand out the Goldy deal it should happen quickly.

I wouldn’t blame him for getting the biggest offer possible before making his decision, but the lines in the sand should already be firmly understood by now. The Goldy contract pretty much defines Freeman’s FA value, and nobody can really argue that value by more than ~5%.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-03-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    I also completely forgot Bryant is out there.

Lots of options to reload this team.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-03-2021)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mad Dog Murph's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    There are huge question marks in the OF, so AA has to plan for that. As we saw this year, the team that opens the season is not going to be the team that finishes the year, so they don’t have to lock down the entire roster in the off season.

It’s possible Ozuna comes back in the 2nd half, so DH PAs must be available. It’s possible Pache progresses, so CF PAs must be available. It’s possible Acuna isn’t 100% ready opening day, so some of those PAs may need to be filled.

Freeman must be signed, somehow without hamstringing the payroll 4-5 years from now. Rizzo is a good backup plan. Soler needs to be in LF, so that deal needs to get done as well. Someone has to be Plan B in CF before the deadline, and Heredia fills that role well. Joc is a great option to pair with Heredia, and can move to the bench if Pache takes off. If Ozuna is gone all 2022, or the Braves can’t sign Soler, Rosario is an acceptable target.

The rotation obviously starts with Fried, Morton and Anderson. They shouldn’t be counting on Soroka for anything at this point, so he falls into the 5th SP grab bag with guys like Ynoa, Wright, and Touki. They should probably bring in a Smyly replacement on a 1 year deal, and there are several options out there.

Revisiting the supposed trade for Reynolds would be amazing. Something centered around Pache plus an advanced arm would maybe work.
    Why Joc over Rosario? I think Rosario is a better overall player. Honest question, just curious what makes Joc a better option

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    grab another top pen guy or two. Figure out Ozuna, keep Soler, grab a Lefty hitter, then if anything left over get another middling starter. The core of this team is young which is good, but they will start to get expensive.

I think the most interesting watch this offseason will be payroll. you have to think there will be a pretty big bump in payroll after this run.
    Coppy

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Just my thoughts and not anyway predictions. Soler and Rosario trophies this playoffs may well have priced themselves out of Atlanta picture. Pederson will not have his option picked up. Swanson may be moved.
    Reynolds acquisition will be revisited. Would not be surprised if AA looked at someone like Kiermier (sp?). Need one or two pitchers. FF and OF are main questions as so many say. Ozuna will never play another game in a Braves uni, Duvall is likely to take FA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    We don't need to spend anything more than 5M on a starter.

Spend all the excess funds on bats.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    The bullpen showed us just how important it is. We need a lockdown RHP out there and a legit bench bat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    The bullpen showed us just how important it is. We need a lockdown RHP out there and a legit bench bat.
    You could have Ynoa/Wright as the back end of the rotation for half the season and see if you need an upgrade and put Strider in the pen.

Need bats.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog Murph View Post
    Why Joc over Rosario? I think Rosario is a better overall player. Honest question, just curious what makes Joc a better option
    Joc can handle center. Rosario can’t.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-04-2021)

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    Pache will open the season at center or Heredia. You know Braves are cheap and Joc is a bench player.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mad Dog Murph's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    Gotcha. Didn’t realize he was that bad in center. My thinking is that I’d rather have Rosario on the roster after Acuna gets back over Joc. But, like we saw this year AA can pick up another ‘Rosario’ type at the deadline if needed.

I still don’t think Pache will ever hit at the ML level. I know he is still very young and everyone here sees him as the next coming of Jesus, but I don’t see it.
    Last edited by Mad Dog Murph; 11-03-2021 at 10:39 AM.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Trade Acuna?

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    Pache will open the season at center or Heredia. You know Braves are cheap and Joc is a bench player.
    Agree with Pache and Heredia but add in Acuna. Pederson has never been and never will be an everyday player in Atlanta. Especially at a cost of $10M

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Rosario was golden for us. There's no question about that. I will be curious to see what the market looks like for him. When he's laced-in he can carry a team, but he has this kind of baseball ADD that pops up quite a bit. At least that's what he looked like when he played up here in Minnesota and we saw it a couple of times in the playoffs.

I highly doubt the Braves will pick up Pederson's option and I would be surprised if Duvall exercises his option (which would make him a free agent). As others have said, there are so many moving parts and question marks due to injuries and suspensions that it will likely be a bit before we see the dust settle. If you were force me to make a guess, I would say that they will find a way to bring back Soler and probably Duvall. I'm not much on Duvall, but he can play CF and that cannot be overlooked. Presence of the DH can cover his OBP deficiency to some extent.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-03-2021), Metaphysicist (11-04-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    AA won’t go into the season with Heredia or Pache in CF. He made that mistake this year and we were in trouble by the deadline. He will upgrade the position to give himself a bigger lead come the break. Luckily for us the other teams in the East sucked too.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I’d like to make a run at Reynolds or Cedrick Mullins. An impact LH bat in CF would give us options on waiting out the market to fill LF/DH.