Page 3 of 233 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2022 Offseason Moves Thread

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    AA won’t go into the season with Heredia or Pache in CF. He made that mistake this year and we were in trouble by the deadline. He will upgrade the position to give himself a bigger lead come the break. Luckily for us the other teams in the East sucked too.
    I think that would be true without the DH when we had a black hole at 8 and then the pitcher 9th, but the DH gives some flexibility there. I expect Pache to be the opening day center fielder. I don't see him being a whole lot worse than Chas McCormick, for example.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    We wont know the outcome of all the playoffs etc until January earning reports but I expect a lot of Liberty debt gets settled this off season if some of the whispered rumors of the Braves going on the market are true. At the same time, a powerful roster would make a buyer more interested. So who knows what will happen?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Rosario was golden for us. There's no question about that. I will be curious to see what the market looks like for him. When he's laced-in he can carry a team, but he has this kind of baseball ADD that pops up quite a bit. At least that's what he looked like when he played up here in Minnesota and we saw it a couple of times in the playoffs.

I highly doubt the Braves will pick up Pederson's option and I would be surprised if Duvall exercises his option (which would make him a free agent). As others have said, there are so many moving parts and question marks due to injuries and suspensions that it will likely be a bit before we see the dust settle. If you were force me to make a guess, I would say that they will find a way to bring back Soler and probably Duvall. I'm not much on Duvall, but he can play CF and that cannot be overlooked. Presence of the DH can cover his OBP deficiency to some extent.

After review of MLB glossary site, I'm more sure that folks are right that Duvall will actually not be a free agent unless the option is declined and the Braves non-tender for Arb or DFA.

He's an averagish hitter with a profile I don't really love, but it probably works for CF.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    We wont know the outcome of all the playoffs etc until January earning reports but I expect a lot of Liberty debt gets settled this off season if some of the whispered rumors of the Braves going on the market are true. At the same time, a powerful roster would make a buyer more interested. So who knows what will happen?
    It's important to remember that sometimes the biggest earnings bump isn't for the playoff year, but instead results in enthusiasm for the following year. I would project 2022 revenue to improve.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog Murph View Post
    Why Joc over Rosario? I think Rosario is a better overall player. Honest question, just curious what makes Joc a better option
    Joc can fake it in CF, and I don’t think Rosario can. Unless Pache is traded the Braves still need to have him in the future plans. That means getting someone who can fake it in CF as a backup plan who can slide into a bench role if Pache succeeds in becoming the next Ender Inciarte.

Also, I think a lot of folks have allowed a well timed hot week in October inflate their views of Rosario’s overall true talent. Very similar to how folks allowed Duvalls well timed HRs towards the end of the season inflate their views on him.

Having said that, I can see scenarios where bringing Rosario back makes sense. Namely if Ozuna is out for the whole year, and/or the Braves miss out on bringing Soler back (who is priority #2 after Freeman this off season, IMO).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-03-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coredor View Post
    It's important to remember that sometimes the biggest earnings bump isn't for the playoff year, but instead results in enthusiasm for the following year. I would project 2022 revenue to improve.
    Before covid hit they had opening day payrolls of like $150M+. I have to imagine that’s the floor for 2022, with $160M-$180M a real possibility.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-03-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Before covid hit they had opening day payrolls of like $150M+. I have to imagine that’s the floor for 2022, with $160M-$180M a real possibility.
    That equates to Freeman/Soler/Swanson(or other SS) with money leftover to spend on bullpen/bench.

Amazing.
    Natural Immunity Croc

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    For the outfield, everything revolves around Bryan Reynolds for me. He is absolutely perfect for this roster. Whether Freddie stays or goes, we're pretty right-handed and he'd be a great complement to the rest of the lineup. Give them Pache and some pitching, and let's get it done.

You know Reynolds would love that deal, too. He's from Tennessee and played multiple years with Swanson and Wright at Vanderbilt.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-03-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Everyone says they want Reynolds but isn't he at around 80-100m in surplus value?

Thats got to be a MASSIVE package.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts
    That option on Duvall certainly plays a part id think?
    Ivermectin Man

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,860 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Everyone says they want Reynolds but isn't he at around 80-100m in surplus value?

Thats got to be a MASSIVE package.
    1) It's the Pirates

2) Pache and Waters have value

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    1) It's the Pirates

2) Pache and Waters have value
    Do they anymore?

I think they are at best the third part of a package. At best.

They'll ask for Grissom/Strider as the headlines and have every right to do so.

No thank you. Lets just make sure we are stout at DH/LF and let Pache play CF for 100 games and hope he figures it out with the bat so he isn't basically a pitcher.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Rosario was golden for us. There's no question about that. I will be curious to see what the market looks like for him. When he's laced-in he can carry a team, but he has this kind of baseball ADD that pops up quite a bit. At least that's what he looked like when he played up here in Minnesota and we saw it a couple of times in the playoffs.

I highly doubt the Braves will pick up Pederson's option and I would be surprised if Duvall exercises his option (which would make him a free agent). As others have said, there are so many moving parts and question marks due to injuries and suspensions that it will likely be a bit before we see the dust settle. If you were force me to make a guess, I would say that they will find a way to bring back Soler and probably Duvall. I'm not much on Duvall, but he can play CF and that cannot be overlooked. Presence of the DH can cover his OBP deficiency to some extent.
    My understanding is if either the Braves or Duval reject the option, Duval goes to Arbitration unless the Braves release him.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OcalaBrave For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-03-2021), jpx7 (11-03-2021), Metaphysicist (11-04-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coredor View Post
    Have you considered the implications of a work stoppage?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OcalaBrave View Post
    My understanding is if either the Braves or Duval reject the option, Duval goes to Arbitration unless the Braves release him.
    Doubt any decisions pertinent to this issue will come out until after the parade. We will know by Monday I assume.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,860 Posts

21. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-03-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Morton
    Fried
    Anderson
    Soroka
    Ynoa
    Wright
    Strider
    Elder
    Davidson
    Muller
    Tarnok
    Shuster

Why do we need to spend more than 5M on a starting pitcher again?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,860 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Morton
    Fried
    Anderson
    Soroka
    Ynoa
    Wright
    Strider
    Elder
    Davidson
    Muller
    Tarnok
    Shuster

Why do we need to spend more than 5M on a starting pitcher again?
    Because I only trust 3 of those guys right now.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-03-2021)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Thoughts on Greinke replacing Smyly as long as the money is right?
    Yes, please.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Because I only trust 3 of those guys right now.
    You work with the assets in your portfolio.

Most important thing is to shore up the offense/bench. That was our secret sauce after the deadline.

Maybe we need a fifth starter to get to 100 wins but we can get to the playoffs easily with 2 aces and 1 2/3 pitcher with another back end guy like Ynoa along with massive talent up the rear.

The goal isn't winning divisions anymore. Build your team like you assume you'll be in the playoffs.
    Natural Immunity Croc