Thread: Official 2022 Offseason Moves Thread

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    It doesn't matter.

The most important thing is to always make sure that one of the top 5 players in the game is happy so that he plays out his career as a Brave.
    Zips spit out a Frank Robinson comp in the most recent sim, so yea—pouring money on whatever fire Acuña wants to light doesn’t actually seem like a bad idea.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

thethe (01-19-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Zips spit out a Frank Robinson comp in the most recent sim, so yea—pouring money on whatever fire Acuña wants to light doesn’t actually seem like a bad idea.
    I didn't think this would be that hard to understand.
    Natural Immunity Croc

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    It doesn't matter.

The most important thing is to always make sure that one of the top 5 players in the game is happy so that he plays out his career as a Brave.
    No it does. If you gave this guy 1 million that was 20% of your budget.

There is also an assumption here that Acuna wanted his brother in the organization. The other brother was not signed either. There is no reason to suggest that Acuna wanted this or is mad. If the braves wanted to funnel money to Acuna or Acuna wanted to funnel money to his brother, the easiest thing would be to change Acuna's contract and let Acuna give the money. That might get us banned again.

I think this is much to do about nothing.

If I'm going to make up things that might make Acuna mad, paying his best fried Ozzie peanuts might be more likely.

I very much doubt the Braves will be signing Acuna at the end of this deal. He's going to get too many years for too much money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    No it does. If you gave this guy 1 million that was 20% of your budget.

There is also an assumption here that Acuna wanted his brother in the organization. The other brother was not signed either. There is no reason to suggest that Acuna wanted this or is mad. If the braves wanted to funnel money to Acuna or Acuna wanted to funnel money to his brother, the easiest thing would be to change Acuna's contract and let Acuna give the money. That might get us banned again.

I think this is much to do about nothing.

If I'm going to make up things that might make Acuna mad, paying his best fried Ozzie peanuts might be more likely.

I very much doubt the Braves will be signing Acuna at the end of this deal. He's going to get too many years for too much money.
    This is fair in regards to maybe having his brother in organization is irrelevant to them. I'd at least hope they would have gauged Acunas feelings on that.

I don't care if we waste 20% of our International budget on Acunas brother. This is Ronald Acuna we are talking about here....
    Natural Immunity Croc

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mad Dog Murph's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    This is fair in regards to maybe having his brother in organization is irrelevant to them. I'd at least hope they would have gauged Acunas feelings on that.

I don't care if we waste 20% of our International budget on Acunas brother. This is Ronald Acuna we are talking about here....
    You really are a moron.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad Dog Murph For This Useful Post:

thethe (01-20-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Here are all of Liberty medias financials:

https://www.libertymedia.com/investo...ype=10-Q&year=

3 months ended Sept 30:

Revenue - 234M
    Operating income - 30M
    Adjusted OIBDA (internal KPI) - 55M
    Will be interesting to see th Q4 results when they come out, which includes playoffs and world series revenue.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-21-2022), Tapate50 (01-20-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Will be interesting to see th Q4 results when they come out, which includes playoffs and world series revenue.
    Problem with that is the revenues from November/December will be low because of no baseball.

Can't even compare to the prior year either because of COVID.

Best comparison will be Q4 21 vs 19 but even embedded in there will be the additional improvements to the battery and such. Liberty probably will have to disclose large one time items such as the world series revenue so that will be something that can be learned from the MD&A.
    Natural Immunity Croc

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

This is why some others ridicule and poke at you.

Mid-market teams that have any desire to contend simply can't waste ANY PART of their budgets - particularly now that the big-market teams are hiring smarter guys to run their organizations instead of just writing checks.

Does that suck for old-school fans who pine for the days of their favorite player playing for their favorite team for their entire career? Sure it does. That's just the way it is in today's world, and if you want your favorite team to be competitive you adjust - or 15 years from now you sound like your Father or Grandfather *itching about how bad it sucked to watch a great player like your hero Dale Murphy play on a *hitty team back in the "good old days".

(Murph might not have been that guy for you personally, but there are tons of other similar examples of players that played for other teams and coaches that coached that were similar. If you want the TEAM to win, you have to play today's game - there's the reason you see guys like Roy Williams and Mike Krzyzewski stepping aside.)
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts

If this were a problem, we could always trade for him later. That being said, I don't think Ronald gives a ****. It's not like he's gonna run down to FCL all the time.

It's not like Ronald's brother didn't get signed.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

13. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-21-2022)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,858 Posts
    Problem with that is the revenues from November/December will be low because of no baseball.

Can't even compare to the prior year either because of COVID.

Best comparison will be Q4 21 vs 19 but even embedded in there will be the additional improvements to the battery and such. Liberty probably will have to disclose large one time items such as the world series revenue so that will be something that can be learned from the MD&A.
    Something of note when looking at the numbers. The Braves revenue was 6.5 million per home game in Q3 2021. Compared to 5.1 , 4.6, and 4.4 for years 2019 through 2017 (year Truist opened). Obviously there will be some inflation there but that has to be a good sign.

The year end report comes out at the end of Feb.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-21-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Something of note when looking at the numbers. The Braves revenue was 6.5 million per home game in Q3 2021. Compared to 5.1 , 4.6, and 4.4 for years 2019 through 2017 (year Truist opened). Obviously there will be some inflation there but that has to be a good sign.

The year end report comes out at the end of Feb.
    And that total revenue per game should increase substantially for the eleven games in October.

Its a good time to be a Braves fan for sure.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Guys, I have been crunching the numbers all morning. I pulled several reports from different sites and compared them to the last 3 years.. 2020 was an outlier of course. I then looked at opening day payroll and ending payroll compared to how many games we played. I finally came to this conclusion... we are still ****ing world series champions. I would love for a second set of eyes to confirm my findings please...
    Coppy

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-20-2022), FreemanFan (01-20-2022), GovClintonTyree (01-21-2022), JohnAdcox (01-20-2022), jpx7 (01-21-2022), Tapate50 (01-20-2022)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    The issue with those numbers is they will most likely be considered a one time revenue since they certainly won't project future revenues of a WS series run for future budgets. My hope is the windfall from Q4 can be used to pre-pay future salary somehow, like with a large signing bonus to Freeman that cuts the AAV of his deal down a bit.

The projected revenue growth is likely to come from the extra season ticket sales that generally accompany a title the following year. That bump in revenue is likely to be more sticky in their budget projections.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-20-2022), jpx7 (01-21-2022)

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The projected revenue growth is likely to come from the extra season ticket sales that generally accompany a title the following year. That bump in revenue is likely to be more sticky in their budget projections.
    The "problem" with that is that ticket sales were so high the year that it's hard to imagine much of a bump. Certainly a champagne problem.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnAdcox View Post
    The "problem" with that is that ticket sales were so high the year that it's hard to imagine much of a bump. Certainly a champagne problem.
    I have a hard time believing that,

They averaged 32k per night in 2019, and only 29k per night in 2021 for obvious reasons.

If this WS title pushes attendance upwards of 35k-40k per night, they will rank near the Top 5 in attendance. We've acknowledged the middle-market payroll stems from middle-market attendance, so if that causality is true I'd expect payroll to increase if attendance increases. Folks dreaming on a $180M payroll may not be as crazy as we used to think they are.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-21-2022)

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Twins sign Acuna's younger brother
    How many brothers does Acuna have? Luisangel signed with Texas a few years back

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I have a hard time believing that,

They averaged 32k per night in 2019, and only 29k per night in 2021 for obvious reasons.

If this WS title pushes attendance upwards of 35k-40k per night, they will rank near the Top 5 in attendance. We've acknowledged the middle-market payroll stems from middle-market attendance, so if that causality is true I'd expect payroll to increase if attendance increases. Folks dreaming on a $180M payroll may not be as crazy as we used to think they are.
    Fwiw, there weren’t many season ticket packages left when I called. All the weekend tickets were sold out except for 10 or so
    Ivermectin Man

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,808 Posts
    MLB has shut down the Rays proposed Tampa Bay/Montreal split season plan

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...l-rejected-mlb
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,808 Posts
    A possible big moment for the A’s to stay in Oakland

https://www.athleticsnation.com/2022...ssion-vote-eir
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,295 Posts
    Check out this 3rd inning HR celebration by Ozuna