Thread: Official 2022 Offseason Moves Thread

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Newcomb is a lost cause. He’s not gonna make it for us.
    Forever Fredi

2. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-05-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    I think the Braves while hoping for the best need to be operating under the assumption that Soroka will never throw another pitch for the organization again.

Beyond that Wright pitched well in the WS but that was just a few innnings. Ynoa only has 2 pitches. Mueller lost his stuff and Touki and Newk can’t find control.

Basically I’m saying I think we need some additional depth.
    Between the 6 of them, you should be able to create 30 starts, probably for cheaper than you would pay a Smyly-type pitcher.
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Lexicographers assemble! I think there needs to be a new word in the dictionary to describe how bad Pache was during his stint in the big leagues in 2021. I'm not going to put him in his baseball grave, but I'm not counting on him for 2022. Presence of the DH can cover some things, but it can't cover the level of performance we saw in 2021. Curious to see what type of CF insurance is in place as the 2022 team is assembled.
    Melvinous

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to drewdat For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-05-2021), DirkPiggler (11-05-2021), jpx7 (11-05-2021), Metaphysicist (11-05-2021)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    596 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Between the 6 of them, you should be able to create 30 starts, probably for cheaper than you would pay a Smyly-type pitcher.
    But if we’re assuming Soroka never pitches again and we’re filling the 4 and 5 spots then we’re looking at 5 pitchers to cobble together 60 starts between them.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Slippyjms For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-05-2021)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Never can have too much depth. I still think they need a Greinke-type play around the Smyly price-range.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    Newcomb is a lost cause. He’s not gonna make it for us.
    I was looking at the end-of-season 40-man the other day. I was never under the impression that there was going to be any kind of Rule 5 crunch, but I was surprised how we could create all kinds of room just by releasing underperformers with Newcomb at or near the top of the list.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-05-2021)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    This is an unhinged, thethe-level thought, but would anyone trade Ozuna for Donaldson, and slot him as the DH?

He makes $50m over the next two seasons, could mostly DH to keep him healthy, but would give you flexibility at 3B and 1B (versus Ozuna, who is pretty much just a DH who can stand in LF). Meanwhile, Ozuna is set to earn $49m over the next three seasons, so the Twins could spread out the annual commitment, and moreover probably save a solid chunk in 2022, since Ozuna is likely to serve a healthy suspension.

So the Braves pay off the Ozuna commitment sooner, in the form of Donaldson, and get a player they can actually feel comfortable keeping on the roster. The Twins spread out what they owe to Donaldson, and probably end up saving a bit in 2022, as well. Off-the-wall, but something that struck me yesterday, seeing that the Twins are already looking to get out from under Donaldson's contract. And a bad-contract-for-Ozuna trade is probably the only way the Braves can jettison him without just eating what they owe and releasing him.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (11-05-2021), Tapate50 (11-05-2021)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    This is an unhinged, thethe-level thought, but would anyone trade Ozuna for Donaldson, and slot him as the DH?

He makes $50m over the next two seasons, could mostly DH to keep him healthy, but would give you flexibility at 3B and 1B (versus Ozuna, who is pretty much just a DH who can stand in LF). Meanwhile, Ozuna is set to earn $49m over the next three seasons, so the Twins could spread out the annual commitment, and moreover probably save a solid chunk in 2022, since Ozuna is likely to serve a healthy suspension.

So the Braves pay off the Ozuna commitment sooner, in the form of Donaldson, and get a player they can actually feel comfortable keeping on the roster. The Twins spread out what they owe to Donaldson, and probably end up saving a bit in 2022, as well. Off-the-wall, but something that struck me yesterday, seeing that the Twins are already looking to get out from under Donaldson's contract. And a bad-contract-for-Ozuna trade is probably the only way the Braves can jettison him without just eating what they owe and releasing him.
    I don't think the Twins would do it, partially because I think Ozuna is going to be radioactive. But if the Braves were to get Donaldson back and re-sign Pederson, there would be a daily bad hair contest.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-05-2021)

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Lexicographers assemble! I think there needs to be a new word in the dictionary to describe how bad Pache was during his stint in the big leagues in 2021. I'm not going to put him in his baseball grave, but I'm not counting on him for 2022. Presence of the DH can cover some things, but it can't cover the level of performance we saw in 2021. Curious to see what type of CF insurance is in place as the 2022 team is assembled.
    It was certainly a Martian debut. (RIP)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    I certainly don't want to put my faith in Kyle Wright again, but I wouldn't hate him getting a couple of starts early next season. To me, he is a different case than most fringe guys. Usually with a AAAA guy, they just don't have the stuff to be a MLB caliber starter. For Wright, it seems to be less about stuff and more about mindset, confidence, and adjustments. If a really important and quality outing in the WS could help anything, it would be confidence.

I'm sure Enscheff has done a breakdown on his stuff and its actually not as good as I think it is, but I still think there is a shot he could be a quality mid-back end of the rotation guy. That said, I will 100% understand if the Braves are done trying and he ends up doing that for someone else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post

I'm honored at the invocation.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McCann'sCans View Post
    I certainly don't want to put my faith in Kyle Wright again, but I wouldn't hate him getting a couple of starts early next season. To me, he is a different case than most fringe guys. Usually with a AAAA guy, they just don't have the stuff to be a MLB caliber starter. For Wright, it seems to be less about stuff and more about mindset, confidence, and adjustments. If a really important and quality outing in the WS could help anything, it would be confidence.

I'm sure Enscheff has done a breakdown on his stuff and its actually not as good as I think it is, but I still think there is a shot he could be a quality mid-back end of the rotation guy. That said, I will 100% understand if the Braves are done trying and he ends up doing that for someone else.
    Pretty sure Encheff had him evaluated as a back end rotation piece which would work just fine for us considering his contract.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McCann'sCans View Post

I did a review on his stuff, and I was surprised at how mediocre it was overall. I remember being more excited about Wright falling to the Braves at 5 than I've been about any other draft pick. He ended up having 5 average-ish pitches, with nothing being standout. That's a #3/#4 unless the control allows it to play up, and Wright has shown an inability to execute much of anything consistently. But he certainly isn't a guy like Fried who had a monster measurable skill (RPM on the breaking stuff) that we could dream on. The guy like that right now is Touki and his breaking ball, but Newk fits in there as well.

Of course, that Wright evaluation was several years old now, and things may have changed, but I will never again have an opinion on a pitcher until I have statcast data for his pitches. The whole "Anderson has a 1700 RPM spin rate on his curve" nonsense sealed the deal for me on that.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-05-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    “I only have a few things to say,” Braves shortstop Dansby Swanson said. “First of all, this trophy, this is ours, everybody. And the other thing, it might get me in trouble, but re-sign Freddie.”

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-05-2021), Metaphysicist (11-05-2021), thewupk (11-05-2021)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    “I only have a few things to say,” Braves shortstop Dansby Swanson said. “First of all, this trophy, this is ours, everybody. And the other thing, it might get me in trouble, but re-sign Freddie.”
    “What up Atlanta,” Pederson asked after swaggering up to get the mic in shorts and holding a cigar. “Hey guess what? We are those motherf***ers!”

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    “What up Atlanta,” Pederson asked after swaggering up to get the mic in shorts and holding a cigar. “Hey guess what? We are those motherf***ers!”
    Ya it didn’t have quite the same effect when Old Joe Got the crowd chanting it haha

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworm View Post
    Ya it didn’t have quite the same effect when Old Joe Got the crowd chanting it haha
    I thought it was cool as sh*t that Joe did that.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    DOB just guessed six years, $165-175m for Freddie. We’re kind of in a spot now where you can’t let him go elsewhere, but getting near $30 million definitely concerns me. Would hope we could at least front load it if the deal is going to be around that.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Just doesnt seem like the way Braves go about things to me. Unless the Braves are going into the $180M or above payroll.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Do you think either Pache/Waters are better than the third player in a package for a guy with Reynolds surplus value?
    Pache, yes. He's every bit still a top prospect. He had a bad showing in the majors, but he got back on track in AAA. Waters bake took a little more of a hit, but there's still a lot to like about him.

I think people are experiencing a bit of prospect fatigue on the them due to 2019 being the last time we saw playing at a high level. But we have remember that 2020 was a lost season for basically everyone.