Page 27 of 233 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2022 Offseason Moves Thread

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    The money aspect is a wash though. Give up 65 game checks just so you can start drawing game checks 65 games early?

Any issue about time served will be about getting back on the field ASAP.
    The 65 games is a wash, sure. The problem is the Braves will still owe him $53 million (minus any suspension time served in 2022) and will have to keep him on the roster while crossing their fingers that the fanbase forgives them for doing so.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    The 65 games is a wash, sure. The problem is the Braves will still owe him $53 million (minus any suspension time served in 2022) and will have to keep him on the roster while crossing their fingers that the fanbase forgives them for doing so.
    You have to wonder if the Braves front office was secretly hoping that Ozuna would be convicted of a felony and either sentenced to prison or deported. Those options were probably the only way they could've voided the contract.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Duvall and Fried win Gold Gloves
    These guys are both really good athletes. Duvall doesn't look the part, but he does a great job in the field. Fried makes me think back to how athletic Maddux, Smoltz, and Glavine were. Fried is really something in that respect.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    All that's true whether he gets to pay to have time served in 2021 or not. The issues are 1) Do the Braves even want him back and 2) How long the suspension is going to be

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-08-2021)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    For those who think "there's no way" Lugbauer is added to the 40-Man Roster, his slash line following Friday's game was .444/.559/.889 with 4 HRs, 12 RBI, and 12 runs scored in 7 games...

https://www.mlb.com/news/drew-lugbau...eague-coverage

They're simply not going to leave him unprotected, sorry.
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-08-2021 at 10:38 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

buck75 (11-08-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    All that's true whether he gets to pay to have time served in 2021 or not. The issues are 1) Do the Braves even want him back and 2) How long the suspension is going to be
    I wonder if we can use the Hector Olivera trade as a template or not. But we traded him to the Padres in a bad contract swap for Matt Kemp. Once his suspension was up, the Padres immediately released him. I wouldn't be shocked if that is an avenue that AA decides to explore. And it may not be his call to make at the end of the day. His superiors may make that call for him.
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    For those who think "there's no way" Lugbauer is added to the 40-Man Roster, his slash line following Friday's game was .444/.559/.889 with 4 HRs, 12 RBI, and 12 runs scored in 7 games...

https://www.mlb.com/news/drew-lugbau...eague-coverage

They're simply not going to leave him unprotected, sorry.
    Our new Scott Thorman after Freeman rebuffs AAs advances.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Fangraphs expects the FF contract to be in the 5 year 130 million range.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2022-top-50-free-agents/
    Ivermectin Man

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    I wonder if we can use the Hector Olivera trade as a template or not. But we traded him to the Padres in a bad contract swap for Matt Kemp. Once his suspension was up, the Padres immediately released him. I wouldn't be shocked if that is an avenue that AA decides to explore. And it may not be his call to make at the end of the day. His superiors may make that call for him.
    Hard to say. IMO Ozuna has enough history to where someone would pay him to play unlike Olivera. It would also require the Braves taking on a worse contract which I don't think is smart.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post

I'd sign Soler tomorrow for any of those projections.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DirkPiggler For This Useful Post:

Garmel (11-08-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

If Bryant is getting anything close to that then I'm out on him.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Most people aren't going to care that Ozuna was accused of hitting his wife if he hits home runs. The idea that people will stop attending games over it is ludicrous and has never occurred anywhere in the many times a similar situation has come up.

The only practical consequences are snippy Keith Law chat comments.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

Yeah, that's the Goldy deal. No real reason why it would be bigger than that.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Most people aren't going to care that Ozuna was accused of hitting his wife if he hits home runs. The idea that people will stop attending games over it is ludicrous and has never occurred anywhere in the many times a similar situation has come up.

The only practical consequences are snippy Keith Law chat comments.
    For the most part, this is true- the vast majority of people won't stop attending games over it. I will say that in my own experience with this, I have still cheered for a team in this situation but have not felt the same kind of connection to it that I used to. I've loved following this Braves team in part because I genuinely enjoy rooting for Albies, Acuna, Fried, Freeman, etc.- I would be excited if an Ozuna home run put the Braves in the lead, but I wouldn't feel the same as I would when Freeman does the same. It is something that lingers in the back of your mind even if you continue cheering for the team.

More importantly, I would argue that there are practical consequences beyond snippy Keith Law comments. There are plenty of players in that locker room who I imagine are not particularly thrilled with Ozuna right now. We heard all of them talk after winning the World Series about things like love and family and the values that carried them to a championship. Particularly in the grind that is baseball, implications on a locker room environment are far more important than Keith Law's snippy comments.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    I'd sign Soler tomorrow for any of those projections.
    Who is Ben Clemens? Does he know what he's doing historically? He seems fairly high to me.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McCann'sCans View Post
    For the most part, this is true- the vast majority of people won't stop attending games over it. I will say that in my own experience with this, I have still cheered for a team in this situation but have not felt the same kind of connection to it that I used to. I've loved following this Braves team in part because I genuinely enjoy rooting for Albies, Acuna, Fried, Freeman, etc.- I would be excited if an Ozuna home run put the Braves in the lead, but I wouldn't feel the same as I would when Freeman does the same. It is something that lingers in the back of your mind even if you continue cheering for the team.

More importantly, I would argue that there are practical consequences beyond snippy Keith Law comments. There are plenty of players in that locker room who I imagine are not particularly thrilled with Ozuna right now. We heard all of them talk after winning the World Series about things like love and family and the values that carried them to a championship. Particularly in the grind that is baseball, implications on a locker room environment are far more important than Keith Law's snippy comments.
    If the locker room hates him that's another issue and you're right that it's more than media digs.

I was simply responding to the idea that people will bail on the team. Not happening. This is the heart of SEC country. Sleaze for wins is expected.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    A trade for a bad contract for a reasonably helpful player. That would be nice. Not sure who fits that hill.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Who is Ben Clemens? Does he know what he's doing historically? He seems fairly high to me.
    No idea. They seem lower than most publicly available projections so far.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    I suspect things like the Ozuna and Bauer cases will be hot topics in the CBA discussions. MLB has the only non cancel contracts in pro sports. All players look for outside income from advertisements. Bad public relations issues hurt all players. Braves not so much but LADs and their huge payroll will have a big voice.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    I suspect things like the Ozuna and Bauer cases will be hot topics in the CBA discussions. MLB has the only non cancel contracts in pro sports. All players look for outside income from advertisements. Bad public relations issues hurt all players. Braves not so much but LADs and their huge payroll will have a big voice.
    I don’t see a world where players allow teams to terminate contracts, regardless of what Ozuna and Bauer did. The slippery slope and what not.

I do think team’s should retain the ability to void a contract for cause. Teams are disproportionately punished when players make off the field mistakes. The Braves, for example, are expected to pay Ozuna his full contract, but will face heavy criticism if they allow him to play again.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (11-08-2021)