Page 33 of 233 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2022 Offseason Moves Thread

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coredor View Post
    I don't think trading for a SS makes sense. Dansby could probably be re-signed relatively cheaply for his value, and there are a lot of tier shorstops that are available on the FA market so if you're going to spend a lot it would be the year to do it. I suppose theoretically we could trade Dansby, sign Seager, let Freddie walk, and trade for a 1B, but I don't really see us going that route.
    You know Braves never sign any superstars?

If we trade for a shortstop probably is someone cheap. Example David Fletcher. David Fletcher don’t cost the same amount of prospects that Matt Olson.

The only thing David Fletcher have a team friendly contract. This is just a example.
    Last edited by ixiXSolidXixi; 11-09-2021 at 04:31 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    If we need to trade Pache and/or Drew Waters for a guy like Matt Olson that probably is not going to be cheap at all. We are in trouble because then we need to fill up the centerfield position. Acuña is coming from a injury and Duvall is not the perfect candidate. We can’t solve one problem making another. Rizzo maybe is cheaper that Freeman but he will get minimum 20+ millions.
    You can usually find a very good CF defender for relatively cheap or a reasonably competent one that can hit a little for cheap.

Giving away prospects for cheap controlled players is just another way of allocating money.

It's just future money or in some cases very soon money.

Likely it will cost you more money in the long term to trade for that cost controlled asset that is going to hit Arb pretty soon than it would cost to just resign Freddie.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Acuna, Adam Duvall, Heredia and corpse of Inciarte have all been reasonably ok in center. I think Marte would probably be reasonably fine it's just a question of whether he'd stay healthy.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Bowman listing Soroka as a non-tender candidate is...not something I saw coming. Hopefully not a signal about how the Braves feel his recovery is going.

https://www.mlb.com/news/braves-2021-offseason-faq

5. The Following User Says Thank You to McCann'sCans For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-10-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McCann'sCans View Post
    Bowman listing Soroka as a non-tender candidate is...not something I saw coming. Hopefully not a signal about how the Braves feel his recovery is going.

Damn - I guess we should assume Bowman has some inside info right?
    Natural Immunity Croc

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I'd be interested in Rodon. He might take a prove it contract. I think he's a top end guy but not somebody you can throw a lot of innings.

Would the braves feel comfortable with Wright, Ynoa, 1 million dollar Vet, Davidson, Strider and Elder that they could nurse Rodon along and unleash him in the post season? Maybe AA is burned on left starter signings.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-10-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    No way they non tender Soroka. I’d give him one more year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts

At $3 million I assume the Braves would bring him back.

Bowman is applying the lesson learned from the surprise non-tenders of Medlen, Beachy, and Minor. I think they are appropriate comparisons, but I think we are in a healthy enough position to gamble on a return to form.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    At $3 million I assume the Braves would bring him back.

Bowman is applying the lesson learned from the surprise non-tenders of Medlen, Beachy, and Minor. I think they are appropriate comparisons, but I think we are in a healthy enough position to gamble on a return to form.
    In fairness Minor is the only one of the three who ever had a meaningful career afterwards. Their medical evaluations of Medlen and Beachy seem to have been, unfortunately, correct.

I would agree that Soroka would be worth the gamble, but we also have no idea what they are being told by the doctors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Damn - I guess we should assume Bowman has some inside info right?
    Wow, non-tendering Soroka was not something I had even thought could happen. From reading Bowman's articles in recent years, while he's not exactly on the pulse of what the front office is thinking, he does seem to drop crumbs of information from time to time that seem to be in line with the organization's thinking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    I think we need to drop Camargo. I believe we need to give a chance to Soroka.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts

Also from that Bowman article. Like I mentioned in previous post, he usually does seem the slightest bit plugged in, but obviously has no clue overall. But this seems to give some clues to what we can expect.

What are the Braves' top priorities?

Beyond re-signing Freeman, the Braves must decide how to ensure they have enough outfielders to at least start the season. Ozuna’s case makes things unclear, but it doesn’t sound like he is currently factoring into next year’s plans, at least early-season plans. Keeping Duvall seems to be a good bet, and there’s certainly reason to attempt to re-sign Soler. The question might come down to whether to bring back Rosario or Peterson. Rosario has the more productive left-handed bat, but Pederson still has some power and his personality plays well both in the clubhouse and the stands.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Anthopoulos' pattern in Toronto was lumping prospects together for major league players. We may be a year away from the minor league depth and top-tier prospects for him to use that strategy.
    AA has said he’s learned from his mistakes in Toronto and he’s a lot more conservative now in keeping prospects.
    Forever Fredi

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Soroka is only projected for 2.7 mil on spotrac, non-tendering him for that amount would be unwise.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-10-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Soroka is only projected for 2.7 mil on spotrac, non-tendering him for that amount would be unwise.
    Agreed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Trade rumors chat:

Walter
    3:23 Matt Olson as a 1B option for the Guardians
    Steve Adams
    3:25 Olson's going to be a first base option for any team that wants an upgrade there. I wouldn't call Cleveland one of the best fits because he's going to earn around $12MM in 2022, get a huge raise off that in 2023 and then be free agent-eligible. Are the Guardians of all teams going to give up a significant prospect haul to pay something like 2/30 for a free agent who'll take up more than 10% of their payroll? I kind of doubt it.

I doubt the Braves have enough good players to make the A’s give Olson away.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Olson and Chapman obviously don’t fit if we keep Freddie, but the guy I’d be curious about is Frankie Montas. He closed the season with a really good second half. I don’t know if it’s just small sample size luck or if he actually made some changes, but I’ve always liked him.

Looks like he’ll be owed about $5 million this year, not bad at all for a mid rotation guy.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts

Unless that foot is destroyed, I would be completely shocked if Soroka is dumped.

He is worth $3M just to keep control over him.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    Trade rumors chat:

Walter
    3:23 Matt Olson as a 1B option for the Guardians
    Steve Adams
    3:25 Olson's going to be a first base option for any team that wants an upgrade there. I wouldn't call Cleveland one of the best fits because he's going to earn around $12MM in 2022, get a huge raise off that in 2023 and then be free agent-eligible. Are the Guardians of all teams going to give up a significant prospect haul to pay something like 2/30 for a free agent who'll take up more than 10% of their payroll? I kind of doubt it.

I doubt the Braves have enough good players to make the A’s give Olson away.
    This depends who AA is willing to trade. Just looked at Olson's numbers, yeah he'd cost a haul.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Olson and Chapman obviously don’t fit if we keep Freddie, but the guy I’d be curious about is Frankie Montas. He closed the season with a really good second half. I don’t know if it’s just small sample size luck or if he actually made some changes, but I’ve always liked him.

Looks like he’ll be owed about $5 million this year, not bad at all for a mid rotation guy.
    The thing to keep in mind about Montas is he was suspended 80 games for PEDs in 2019. Obviously his performance since then has been fine. But with guys like that you never know.