Page 34 of 233 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2022 Offseason Moves Thread

Arizona Fall Leaguer Sheffield10's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McCann'sCans View Post
    For the most part, this is true- the vast majority of people won't stop attending games over it. I will say that in my own experience with this, I have still cheered for a team in this situation but have not felt the same kind of connection to it that I used to. I've loved following this Braves team in part because I genuinely enjoy rooting for Albies, Acuna, Fried, Freeman, etc.- I would be excited if an Ozuna home run put the Braves in the lead, but I wouldn't feel the same as I would when Freeman does the same. It is something that lingers in the back of your mind even if you continue cheering for the team.

More importantly, I would argue that there are practical consequences beyond snippy Keith Law comments. There are plenty of players in that locker room who I imagine are not particularly thrilled with Ozuna right now. We heard all of them talk after winning the World Series about things like love and family and the values that carried them to a championship. Particularly in the grind that is baseball, implications on a locker room environment are far more important than Keith Law's snippy comments.
    I didn’t know Ozuna got convicted. That changes things.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheffield10 View Post
    It was a greatly reduced charge. The felony went away. It’s a deal but it’s the kind of thing you might take even if you were innocent to avoid the risk of a trial while the cops save face.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    You know Braves never sign any superstars?

If we trade for a shortstop probably is someone cheap. Example David Fletcher. David Fletcher don’t cost the same amount of prospects that Matt Olson.

The only thing David Fletcher have a team friendly contract. This is just a example.
    In reality I think trading for or signing a shortstop is unlikely. I think we can probably sign Dansbu to an affordable contract and I strongly suspect we will.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    You mean the dodgers bullpen that had guys like Triean/Kelly/Knebel?

That dodger bullpen?
    May, Graterol, White, Gonzalez, and countless others over the years as well. They consistently turn their minor league starters that are less likely to be major league starters into very good relievers.

Among Touki, Wright, Ynoa, Muller, Tarnok, Davidson, etc, we need to be making some choices. It seems we wasted Newk trying to make him a starter. Now he's 28 and it's likely his stuff is declining. I'd like to see Touki moved there full time as well before his stuff starts to decline.
    Last edited by Carp; 11-10-2021 at 04:20 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-10-2021), jpx7 (11-10-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,049 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheffield10 View Post
    From my understanding of it, he technically hasn't been convicted. He entered a diversion program which, without digging too deeply into this one, usually delays adjudication of the charges. If he completes the program then I believe the charges are dropped and his record is clean.

The MLB investigation is another matter. I imagine he'll get a lengthy suspension but it's unlikely the Braves will be able to void his contact. Once he's eligible again we'll have to pay him. So it will be a call of whether his baggage is worth it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-10-2021)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    From my understanding of it, he technically hasn't been convicted. He entered a diversion program which, without digging too deeply into this one, usually delays adjudication of the charges. If he completes the program then I believe the charges are dropped and his record is clean.

The MLB investigation is another matter. I imagine he'll get a lengthy suspension but it's unlikely the Braves will be able to void his contact. Once he's eligible again we'll have to pay him. So it will be a call of whether his baggage is worth it.
    we won the World Series without him, so at this point I feel the Braves will just take the hit.

winning that World Series is going to soften the blow and any bad moves made the next 2-3 years while still on the honeymoon phase.

flags fly forever.
    Forever Fredi

9. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-10-2021)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts

The last part is the main thing. Will AA keep him on the roster after what happened, or will he release him and eat the contract. All interesting questions. Wish there was a quick resolution by MLB so AA can get to work on possible replacements or knowing when Ozuna would be back on the team.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    The last part is the main thing. Will AA keep him on the roster after what happened, or will he release him and eat the contract. All interesting questions. Wish there was a quick resolution by MLB so AA can get to work on possible replacements or knowing when Ozuna would be back on the team.
    the bigger problem is the CBA right now.
    Forever Fredi

12. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-10-2021)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    the bigger problem is the CBA right now.
    Yeah it will be interesting who signs before Dec 1-2, in free agency. I think some guys might take some quick deals before then to get the money now. Hopefully the stoppage doesnt last too long.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    At $3 million I assume the Braves would bring him back.

Bowman is applying the lesson learned from the surprise non-tenders of Medlen, Beachy, and Minor. I think they are appropriate comparisons, but I think we are in a healthy enough position to gamble on a return to form.
    This.

He's technically a non-tender candidate, and not listing him as one would be kinda stupid if you're just compiling a list of them - especially following those prior non-tenders AND when you consider the fact that they non-tendered a healthy Duvall last winter.

Everyone that's arb-eligible is a candidate.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    I wonder how attendance numbers were across the league. Seemed like baseball had a good year. I am sure they are down with a lot of parks not being 100% right away.

My big hopes for the CBA is tanking teams. Creating a floor. And then increasing the luxury tax penalties. Bring all the teams closer together.
    Also DH. Maybe drop Manfred off a cliff too. That would be a good CBA agreement.
    Coppy

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts

I'm assuming his contract has a morals clause. I'm further assuming that Liberty has no problem taking a stand that being arrested for domestic violence violates that morals clause no matter the degree of that domestic violence. Even if they lose the argument and have to pay the contract, the Braves get nothing but positive publicity for taking a stand against domestic violence and Ozuna gets nothing but scorn for having engaged in domestic violence. In short, if the Braves don't want Ozuna back on the filed, he is in a no win situation as far as getting paid his full contract. I suspect when the investigation is complete, there will be a buy-out of his contract, the details of which will never be disclosed, and Ozuna will be released.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    I know mlb contracts are guaranteed but damn it’s hard to believe you can go to jail of your own acts and still get paid.

Getting game checks does need to come with some sort of caveat that like , other than injury you need to be able to be here to play.

Beat you wife and go to jail? Sorry bozo.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OcalaBrave View Post
    I'm assuming his contract has a morals clause. I'm further assuming that Liberty has no problem taking a stand that being arrested for domestic violence violates that morals clause no matter the degree of that domestic violence. Even if they lose the argument and have to pay the contract, the Braves get nothing but positive publicity for taking a stand against domestic violence and Ozuna gets nothing but scorn for having engaged in domestic violence. In short, if the Braves don't want Ozuna back on the filed, he is in a no win situation as far as getting paid his full contract. I suspect when the investigation is complete, there will be a buy-out of his contract, the details of which will never be disclosed, and Ozuna will be released.
    https://www.dailybreeze.com/2021/11/...sk-the-lawyer/
    Ivermectin Man

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts

if we couldn't get rid of HO on a moral clause, then I doubt there is such a thing.
    Coppy

20. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-10-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,049 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    if we couldn't get rid of HO on a moral clause, then I doubt there is such a thing.
    Yeah, if the Braves try to do it I wish them good luck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    If we can’t get the money we need to give Ozuna a shot. You don’t throw away that much money and he still has ability. We owe the guy 45 milllion. Now if he assaults someone in the locker room then we would have a problem.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coredor View Post
    If we can’t get the money we need to give Ozuna a shot. You don’t throw away that much money and he still has ability. We owe the guy 45 milllion. Now if he assaults someone in the locker room then we would have a problem.
    Maybe we can trade him to the Mets. They seem to have an affinity for quality players that do not actually play being on their payroll.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OcalaBrave View Post
    Likely so (and I'm certainly not defending Ozuna here), but what constitutes "morals" in the clause? Players get suspended for drug/alcohol issues and one could argue (it would be tenuous but since when does that prevent enterprising ambulance chasers--not you striker42--from making a legal argument) that drugs and alcohol are immoral and a team could terminate a contract based on that. Of course, the drug/alcohol aspect is part of the CBA so it's immaterial, but where does one draw the line of what would constitute a violation of a morals clause. I anticipate the domestic abuse issue will be part of the CBA discussions as it should be.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-10-2021)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Heard Chipper on Jayson Stark's podcast today. Really good interview, but he estimated 10-20 percent chance Freddie leaves and ultimately said he thinks it'll be done soon.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-10-2021)